Home From Gaston's Thread

I'm finally home too. Arrived around 4pm today, but had to run back out to play hockey tonight, so just getting to check back in now.

It was great to finally put a bunch of faces to names, and I had a great time.

Thanks to the PA POA group for getting me to Wings on Weds to make this whole trip possible and a great start to an adventure.

Many thanks to Dr. Bruce for giving Missa and I a ride to IL to meet up with Ted.

Tons of thanks to the Mascelli's for picking me up in ILG and offering a place to stay last night, a great breakfast, and lastly a ride back to KPHL this morning. You guys are the greatest.

Lastly, thanks to everyone for making it such a great time. Looking forward to flying myself down next year.

Damn things were multiplying like rabbits.

Yeah, you can't leave Mooneys together unsupervised. You never know what might happen. ;)

Hey guys - Mary Alice and I made it home safely to Memphis on Sunday. Memphis was a little battered by back to back storms that left us without power for a while but we made back safely.

This was out first Gastons fly-in and we had a fantastic time. We met a lot of great people and saw some impressive flying. I am looking forward to doing it again next year!

Hey guys - Mary Alice and I made it home safely to Memphis on Sunday. Memphis was a little battered by back to back storms that left us without power for a while but we made back safely.

This was out first Gastons fly-in and we had a fantastic time. We met a lot of great people and saw some impressive flying. I am looking forward to doing it again next year!
Beau, I'm glad to hear that you made it home okay. :) Tom and I enjoyed spending time with you and Mary Alice. :yes: So, next year there may be three of you? ;)

Here are 4 of the ubiquitous mark parked together, and I'm taking the picture from the parking spot of the 5th.

Attachments

• P1010552.JPG
    P1010552.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
Lastly, thanks to everyone for making it such a great time. Looking forward to flying myself down next year.
I'm glad we finally got to fly together...sorry it took so long to get it done. It's easy to get distracted at Gaston's. ;)

Mark (remember the guy in the Colt?) is STILL not home to Montana. He's been waiting in northern Iowa and South Dakota for two days for the weather to move. He thinks he'll make it today, however...

Bless his heart!

it was nice to meet you too! (twice :redface:)

Glad ya'll made it home! I was beginning to wonder...

Was good to meet and chat with you both! Hope to see you again next year!

Mark (remember the guy in the Colt?) is STILL not home to Montana. He's been waiting in northern Iowa and South Dakota for two days for the weather to move. He thinks he'll make it today, however...

Bless his heart!
Yea, he really came a LONG way to be with us, and had lots of weather. I forgot to ask him if he has a 396 or 496.

Is Mark the only one who hasn't made it home from Gaston's yet?

mark has neither a 396 or a 496. he does have an old apollo GPS in the panel and a lowrance handheld.

as far as I know he gets the caboose award this year.

How did I miss meeting you while you were there, Chris!?

Dunno.. I'm horrible at introducing myself to people. I saw you and I think we were involved in the same conversations (I was sitting beside Kent under the tent for a while on Saturday afternoon), but never had a formal introduction. Total 'FAIL' on my part.

I'll be sure to get there early enough for a cool nametag next year. ;)

even worse when he was standing on the steps during the poker game. made everyone else look like midgets.

Proof of concept:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 543.jpg
    543.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Hi all. Not home yet.

Mark,
I think you might even beat Ted for number of flight hours. Im sure Ted has you on Avgas burned.
You should right up your adventure on the way there and now the way back. It should be an intersting read.

I think you might even beat Ted for number of flight hours.

Yeah, it was about 30 hours total on the plane between Wednesday after work and Sunday night/Monday morning at 1:15 AM when I made it home. But, that included 5.1 hours to get to Bridgeport and Philadelphia to pick up two of the passengers, plus the trips to Oklahoma, and the drop-off trips to Wilmington and Bridgeport. I need an oil change! :)

Im sure Ted has you on Avgas burned.

That looks like about 600-650 gallons total... I suspect I win the "Friends of OPEC" award this year. ;)

Here are 4 of the ubiquitous mark parked together, and I'm taking the picture from the parking spot of the 5th.

Must have been 6 of them there, then - I don't recognize the one on the far right in your picture, and I assume the parking spot was Bill & Brent's - But there was another one N56100 from Iowa that wasn't parked on the end at all.

Well, I made it home about 7PM yesterday.

The last day was KYKN-KPHP-KGDV-48S and then the 17 miles to my farm. About 11 hours door to door and 8 hours in the plane.

I also put a little over 30 hours on my plane, but only used about 200 gallons.

Living as far back in the sticks as I do, making most of the trip to Gaston's commercially wouldn't have saved anything except the day I lost due to wx. Instead of sitting around in terminals waiting for my next flight, I sat in the left seat of the Colt, watching the world go by at 85 kts. Considering that the out of pocket costs would be a wash, I'd do it again. Just not right away. :D

Mark

Well, I made it home about 7PM yesterday.

The last day was KYKN-KPHP-KGDV-48S and then the 17 miles to my farm. About 11 hours door to door and 8 hours in the plane.

I also put a little over 30 hours on my plane, but only used about 200 gallons.

Living as far back in the sticks as I do, making most of the trip to Gaston's commercially wouldn't have saved anything except the day I lost due to wx. Instead of sitting around in terminals waiting for my next flight, I sat in the left seat of the Colt, watching the world go by at 85 kts. Considering that the out of pocket costs would be a wash, I'd do it again. Just not right away. :D

Mark
I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. :yes: It was great finally getting to meet you. :yes:

So, how many miles total was your trip? It really is a great way to see our country, isn't it. :)

Sounds like a great trip, Mark! Glad you made it home!

I recommend waiting until next June. ;)

Glad you made it home! Sounds like a fun trip - Just some different brands of fun thrown in there. :D

I just gotta say THANKS to all you who let me fly your plane.

Especially Felix (Rob)! He let me LAND his Bo THREE times! After my recent incident, this was just the therapy the doctor ordered. I owe him a debt of gratitude that is hard to put in words...

And Tony for the tailwheel time dual - I really apprecitate it!

And of course, Jesse, who is always one of the first to ask, "Do you wanna go up?", the best words anyone at Gastons' ever hears!

Thanks, All!

Kim...

...he was distracted by your toes... :smilewinkgrin:

Ohhh.... Those Kimmy toes... :p

LOL!

I forgot to mention the dual I got from Tony was in KIM'S BIRD DOG!

....Sooo, THANK you Kim and Phil! I really do appreciate that flight; it had major points on the "kewel" factor!! :D

Back