Home From Gaston's Thread

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Hopefully people will let us know that they made it home safely. :)

The Citabria flight of three made it out of 3M0 early. We flew around one cell and didn't have any problems. It sure is nice to have that 496. :yes:

We had a lot of rain up here at the farm, and the ditch was full of water, so we splashed across it. It didn't look as bad as the puddles on the runway at Gaston's though.

I'll work on posting photos in awhile. Only flattering photos will be posted. :D

OH, just heard from Tony, he and Leah just landed at Wichita. :)

Kim just landed at Gardner, so she and Phil made it home safely, as well.

Last edited:
Bill Jennings and I are back in Chattanooga. We had to dodge some cells but we were happy to have a little tail wind on the return trip. It was great seeing everybody again!

Had a good visit, albeit brief, Saturday, got my classmate to MNF to catch her dad, made it home too.
A "D'oh!" apology: I was calling my position ystdy, until I realized, right over the dam, that I was calling on BPK's freq, not on CTAF :blush::frown3::redface:! Fortunately, nobody was too near me...:rolleyes:

As Bugs Bunny would say, "what a maroon; what a nim-cow-poop."

Had a good visit, albeit brief, Saturday, got my classmate to MNF to catch her dad, made it home too.
A "D'oh!" apology: I was calling my position ystdy, until I realized, right over the dam, that I was calling on BPK's freq, not on CTAF :blush::frown3::redface:! Fortunately, nobody was too near me...:rolleyes:

As Bugs Bunny would say, "what a maroon; what a nim-cow-poop."

What??? You were there and I didn't meet you??? :nonod:

Rachel and I are back home. 6 hrs of flying time for 19hrs of Gaston's time. Sounds like an OK deal to me. :)

Glad to finally realize that the people I've been seeing in pictures for several years are actually REAL people!!

Wonder if the Texas folks ever got off the ground?? :frown3:

What??? You were there and I didn't meet you??? :nonod:

My classmate and I were there for just a brief period of time, but you were out "bird-dogging"!:D:D Perhaps soon, we'll head up to Gardner for another classmate's wedding in August; maybe we can meet up then...

Sue and I had a geat time as always. We had to make a pretty big deviation to the south to stay out of trouble, but doing that made a smooth, safe flight. The real world starts tomorrow.

I just got back; stopped at xna and dropped off our Mass. guest.

Had a great time. Wondered where Tony was for the sunrise run though!

Best,

Dave

Best,

Dave

Dave. Thank you so much for seeing about Justin. I was worried. What can I say? I'm a mother...:rolleyes:

We made it back. No issues and we ate brunch. Staying for brunch didn't make anything worse for the folks that did it.

Sharon and I are home. We left just after Grant and Leslie, and Pete and Kent brought up the rear. Everyone got out.

Leah and I had a nice flight home. We drifted slightly right of course to stay well clear of the storms in Eastern OK. After that it was severe clear to Wichita so we cancelled IFR and landed at Beaumont for lunch at the hotel. Yum!

I hopped to the pavement, bought some gas and watched the van full of inmates arrive from the lodge. Bruce got his scales out when all those bags hit the ramp. I left same time as Jess & Tris, and half hour or so along I heard the Bonanza Bozo call center for advisories to ADS, and then heard a few more calls. I filled up again with cheap gas just outside of town, figured I could still beat him home but he snuck by me and already had it in the hangar and vamoosed.

Just got home after dropping off Brent at Aurora. Was a nice flight.

Great to see everybody again!!

-Felix

Just got back home. There really was no significant weather. We got bounced around a bit when we stopped for gas in Dixon, IL, but nothing else really. Had a great time chatting with Greg, Felix, Spike, Dave and Kate on 122.75. Way more fun than flight following :)

Just got back home. There really was no significant weather. We got bounced around a bit when we stopped for gas in Dixon, IL, but nothing else really. Had a great time chatting with Greg, Felix, Spike, Dave and Kate on 122.75. Way more fun than flight following :)
Oh yeah, that was probably the most fun I've had just flying along. 122.75 and IFR was a bit of a challenge, though :p

I made my flight out of XNA, just waiting for my connection out of Cincinnati.
Thanks again to Felix, Greg, and Brent for coming to get me on Friday, and a big thanks to Dave for braving the weather to deliver me back to XNA today in his beautiful Baron. You guys are awesome!

I really enjoyed meeting everyone and thanks for the airplane rides!

Oh yeah, that was probably the most fun I've had just flying along. 122.75 and IFR was a bit of a challenge, though :p

Thanks very much for the ride:):drink::)

It was nice meeting all of you...

Last edited:
Glad you made it Justin! Sorry I wasn't able to chit chat a bit more, between the weather, approach and going into a new airport, I was a bit pre-occupied. Maybe next time we link up we can play a bit more.

There was a neat group of cells when I left XNA with a corridor through them that worked out great. Just followed the on-board RADAR. The XM radar didn't show a few of them.

Anyway, thanks all who brought things, gave rides and just helped all have a great time.

Very nice to see y'all.

Best,

Dave

Like Shiny-Plane Wayne said, I'm here. I figured he beat me, what with that slick shiny beast.

Interesting- thought I'd do it all VFR, but reached a point where VFR meant flying low (and hot and bumpy), and I could not endure the thought, so I air-filed (Ft. Worth Center did not make me call up FSS first, thanky much), and climbed. As soon as I crossed the apparent frontal boundary (as shown on the 396), I lost about 35 knots of ground speed, and the OAT went up ten degrees.

Good times, and I thank all of you for your friendship and hospitality.

I left with the early bunch. After last night's terrible dinner service, brunch didn't appeal to me, and I wanted to get going while the getting was good.

I decided to make my fuel stop at Ames, just in case I couldn't go any farther. I climbed to 8500, and started out direct Ames, but deviated to the west side of the TRUMAN A/B/C MOAs to get behind a line of weather that was going to be in north Missouri when I got there. I started out diverting to KIXD, but decided to go on to Ames when the weather moved out. Forgot to tell Whiteman Approach of that decision, though..."5ZC, how much farther north are you going before you turn to KIXD?" Oops. :redface:

I got to Ames about 15 minutes after Chris did. Fueled up, launched for Fairmont, got there a little before 4 PM Central.

I went low. Your assessment was correct.

Like Shiny-Plane Wayne said, I'm here. I figured he beat me, what with that slick shiny beast.

Interesting- thought I'd do it all VFR, but reached a point where VFR meant flying low (and hot and bumpy), and I could not endure the thought, so I air-filed (Ft. Worth Center did not make me call up FSS first, thanky much), and climbed. As soon as I crossed the apparent frontal boundary (as shown on the 396), I lost about 35 knots of ground speed, and the OAT went up ten degrees.

Good times, and I thank all of you for your friendship and hospitality.

oh btw, I got a call from Matt and Amy Sawhill. They made it home.

We made it back. No issues and we ate brunch. Staying for brunch didn't make anything worse for the folks that did it.

Once we got up and out of BPK, I realized that it wouldn't have been a problem to stick around. Oh well, better safe than sorry. I still have a 3hr drive back to Jackson tonight, so I really didn't want to push a late flight and THEN have a late drive. :nono:

We'll plan on getting down there earlier next year so we have more 'socializing' time. And I think I might get run out of town on a rail if I don't bring the RV next time. :rolleyes:

Once we got up and out of BPK, I realized that it wouldn't have been a problem to stick around. Oh well, better safe than sorry. I still have a 3hr drive back to Jackson tonight, so I really didn't want to push a late flight and THEN have a late drive. :nono:

We'll plan on getting down there earlier next year so we have more 'socializing' time. And I think I might get run out of town on a rail if I don't bring the RV next time. :rolleyes:

do they make rails long enough?

I'm halfway home. I made it to my aunt's a little after 4:30.

We got to MN around 1pm. The only problem was a 45 minute delay at Flippin because there was no one there to dispense their cheap fuel.

Launched out not too long after the Bird Dog, and headed direct to Poplar Bluff for $3.25/gal fuel. Put in 42 gallons, sumped *my* tank, and Kaiser's and headed direct to 9D9 from there. One E/W line of clouds around the latitude of Champaign, IL at the IN/IL border gave me the option of going low (3000') or high (11,500), I opted for the latter, the cooler air, and smoother ride. Figured Kaiser was going to be not too comfy with either option. After being up there for 30-40 miles or so, I slid back down to 5500. Then 3500 near South Bend and just dealt with the bumps for the last 30 minutes or so. Put in 36 gallons for 2.8 hrs. Acceptable fuel burn for 150ktas.

Got home in time to play in a softball league game, and now am back home eating pizza and drinking Coke. That's the beauty of GA.

We have our days too. My favorite day of the year is the one where we don't have to swing the gear during the annual. Pop two inspection panels in the floor, 2 minutes in each one with light and mirror and good to go. Depending on how hard the bounce was today.

Welcome to my world...:rolleyes:

Best,

Dave
Just got my Father in Law settled.

Very nice seeing everyone. Missa and Brian got picked up by Ted about 2:30 from 3MY, and I got to the end of the wedding in Deerfield (PWK) and got to drive S-in-law and husband to ORD, thence home via PWK, thence to mow the grass, thence assess F-I-L (who spouse brought home in the car).

Once again, Dave, thank you for tolerating me in the left seat of the B-58P. Thanks again to Tom (and Diana) who again tolerated by one year again since taildragger work in the Blueberry Citab.

I am also thinking there is a multi in the future in Chattanooga (Brent and Bill.....!!)

Last edited:
Back