Holy Schnikes! 9 Months to Obsolescence

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
Well, back around the first of the year, my wife and I having settled into a nice little life with our two young boys, and making a pretty good living (by rural Oklahoma standards), decided to purchase a Cessna 182. The 182 was just the right amount of airplane for our needs, more specifically, the ability to haul the family with some utility to spare for future growth. It has handled the job beautifully so far, as would be expected with this iconic aircraft. As they say, the 182 does a lot of things well, or something like that, and we've been looking forward to owning 3323Y for years to come.

Two nights ago, my wife stuck her head into the room as I was perusing POA and held up a pregnancy test that showed two solid lines. Two lines means pregnant! After a few minutes discussing how my wife's birth control was a complete and utter failure, my thoughts fell on the 182. I turned to my wife and said, "I'm sorry to bring up airplanes at this moment, but do you realize that the plane we just bought will be useless to us in 9 months?" The 182 does indeed do a lot of things well, but it doesn't do 5 seats. So now we're going to be pretty limited on what kind of plane we can fly. The bummer is that we're also limited on what we can afford. To compound the airplane issue, we're gonna need a bigger house. The small two bedroom we have now is not going to cut it with a third kiddo.

I should mention that I'm very happy to have a third child. We were definately open to having a third, or we would have taken more permanent measures to avoid it, if you know what I mean, but we were thinking we'd wait a couple more years at least. Alas, the third amigo will be with us sooner than planned for and we're going to have to make some tough choices in the coming months regarding. One of which may be selling the 182. Don't know what we're going to do. Whatever we do regarding our home and airplane, the new little toot will be as welcome as the other 2.

A few options:

1. Sell the 182 and get a Cherokee 6 or C210. Either way, it would have to be an early model for us to afford it. Cherokee 6 seems way more comfortable, and hauls more but the 210 is quite a bit faster. Retract insurance might be a hindrance. too.

2. Forget about hauling the family and get something fun for me, and burns less gas like a citabria or a vans.

3. Keep flying the 182. It's more utility than necessary since I can't take the family along, and not exactly exhilarating to fly. Flying 1 or 2 up burning 12.5 gal/hr at 130 kt doesn't seem practical.

4. Sell the 182 and get out of ownership altogether. <----not likely.

I will say that not having my family involved would really take a lot of the luster out of flying. If I can't share it with my family, then it becomes extremely difficult for me to justify the expense along with taking some of the fun out of it. It'll probably have to be a six seater or bust.

Last edited:
I'd say more like 6 years instead of 9 months. That, if you don't mind putting two kids under one seatbelt which, IIRC, is legal. If the kids can handle it...

But maybe I'm misremembering.

Congratulations Andrew! I am sure you will find your "sweet spot".

Well, he apparently found hers! :)

Congrats!

How often do you do trips with the family versus just wanting to get up and enjoy the sky yourself? Going for something like a Citabria for yourself and one other and then renting when you do a family trip might be best. But really only you know the correct answer.

Congrats!

I don't think you need to rush into anything, but I would recommend start looking at PA32s. More comfortable and you will have better room for baggage than a 210.

I might be mistaken, or maybe what I saw was for a different airplane, but I saw an ad for an STC that lets you turn a 2 seat bench into a 3 seat bench. It might only last a few years but it would be cheaper than buying a new airplane.

Well, back around the first of the year, my wife and I having settled into a nice little life with our two young boys, and making a pretty good living (by rural Oklahoma standards), decided to purchase a Cessna 182. The 182 was just the right amount of airplane for our needs, more specifically, the ability to haul the family with some utility to spare for future growth. It has handled the job beautifully so far, as would be expected with this iconic aircraft. As they say, the 182 does a lot of things well, or something like that, and we've been looking forward to owning 3323Y for years to come.

Two nights ago, my wife stuck her head into the room as I was perusing POA and held up a pregnancy test that showed two solid lines. Two lines means pregnant! After a few minutes discussing how my wife's birth control was a complete and utter failure, my thoughts fell on the 182. I turned to my wife and said, "I'm sorry to bring up airplanes at this moment, but do you realize that the plane we just bought will be useless to us in 9 months?" The 182 does indeed do a lot of things well, but it doesn't do 5 seats. So now we're going to be pretty limited on what kind of plane we can fly. The bummer is that we're also limited on what we can afford. To compound the airplane issue, we're gonna need a bigger house. The small two bedroom we have now is not going to cut it with a third kiddo.

I should mention that I'm happy to have a third child. We were open to having a third, or we would have taken more permanent measures to avoid it, if you know what I mean, but we were thinking we'd wait a couple more years at least. Alas, the third amigo will be with us sooner than planned for and we're going to have to make some tough choices in the coming months. One of which may be selling the 182. Don't know what we're going to do.

A few options:

1. Sell the 182 and get a Cherokee 6 or C210. Either way, it would have to be an early model for us to afford it. Cherokee 6 seems way more comfortable, and hauls more but the 210 is quite a bit faster. Retract insurance might be a hindrance. too.

2. Forget about hauling the family and get something fun for me, and burns less gas like a citabria or a vans.

3. Keep flying the 182. It's more utility than necessary since I can't take the family along, and not exactly exhilarating to fly. Flying 1 or 2 up burning 12.5 gal/hr at 130 kt doesn't seem practical.

I will say that not having my family involved would really take a lot of the luster out of flying. If I can't share it with my family, then it becomes extremely difficult for me to justify the expense along with taking some of the fun out of it. It'll probably have to be a six seater or bust.

How often do you do trips with the family versus just wanting to get up and enjoy the sky yourself? Going for something like a Citabria for yourself and one other and then renting when you do a family trip might be best. But really only you know the correct answer.
That's the tough part though. It depends a lot on where you are based. It can be a real biotch in some parts of the country to find a 6 seater rental which is pretty much what you'd need to haul a family of 5.

I'd say more like 6 years instead of 9 months. That, if you don't mind putting two kids under one seatbelt which, IIRC, is legal. If the kids can handle it...

But maybe I'm misremembering.

Well, he apparently found hers! :)

Congrats!

Haha! Yeah, I found it alright. Or the mailman did. :rofl:

Heck, if it's kosher to throw a belt over two kids, we could probably make that work for a while. It would at least allow us to continue to use the plane while we get the house situation settled. I think we could be financially comfortable to step up to a Cherokee 6 in 2-3 years time.

Our means don't allow us a ton of flexibility on the type of plane we can go buy, but maybe if I get a raise or two, work a bunch of OT, and find a decent deal on a house, we'll be able to get what we need in a couple years.

I need to come up with another income source to feed this habit. Sure wish I had a skill of some kind other than the amazing ability to run a natural gas plant :rolleyes:

Thought about going into the sprinkler system business on the side. Anyone know if there's any money in that?

Good luck,and congrats. You have plenty of time to think about your next airplane.

So out of interest, what specific birth control should we be avoiding here? :lol:

I think we could be financially comfortable to step up to a Cherokee 6 in 2-3 years time.
I think that is plenty of time. In reality, how much are you really going to be tempted to fly all 5 of you in the first year or two?

I don't think I flew my kids until they were at least a year old (or close to it). When my wife was pregnant with our second (and for my second's first year), most of my flights were either solo or lunch runs with my oldest.

So out of interest, what specific birth control should we be avoiding here? :lol:

:yes::yes::yes:

I read the OP to my wife and her only question was "What kind of b.c. was it that failed?"

:lol:

There's also the Cessna 206. It's an easy transition from the 182.

I'd say 50-60% of my flying is with the family. We frequently use the plane to visit both sets of grandparents. They each live about an hour away by plane, and just shy of 3 hours by car. Renting wouldn't be practical for us, even if we could find a six seater to rent. Thanks though :)

Maybe you should have played more with the plane instead of the wife. Nobody to blame here but you. :D
Unless, of course, the mention of the mailman was not a joke ..... ;) j/k

So I'll upgrade here from our immature high-school days and instead of "oh sh**, dude, wacha gunna do??", I will elude to the more elegant "congratulations, another hungry neck to feed". :)

:yes::yes::yes:

I read the OP to my wife and her only question was "What kind of b.c. was it that failed?"

:lol:

Haha! I actually meant to mention that in case someone was interested. It was Nuvaring. This actually the second time she's gotten pregnant using it, but the wife said it was definitely an error on her part the first time. This time, however, she claims she followed the directions to a T.

I would not recommend it at this point :eek:

I think I'd be looking at PA32's as well in a year or two if I were you. The space for "kid stuff" alone would be worth it. You can always go with the straight-leg variants if the thought of retracts scares you. The 260HP variant would be plenty for flatlanders like us, although you won't be flying much faster than you were in the 182. I've seen a number of of them for under $60K, if that fits the bill.

Of course there are always Bo's and 210's, but they seem to command a bit more premium for the 6 seats than the Piper's do.

I think that is plenty of time. In reality, how much are you really going to be tempted to fly all 5 of you in the first year or two?

I don't think I flew my kids until they were at least a year old (or close to it). When my wife was pregnant with our second (and for my second's first year), most of my flights were either solo or lunch runs with my oldest.
I doubt you will be flying much at all for the first few months.
With that fact in mind, it may make sense to sell the plane now, put the proceeds in the bank and add some of the operating savings to the account and then buy the proper plane when the time is right.

In the meantime, you can rent a 2 or a 4 seater occasionally when you do have time or the need.

A few options:

Option 5: Wife gets her private pilot certificate. She flies the 182 with the oldest who takes care of the baby; you buy a Glassair, RV-8 or something else cool and fly with the other kid.

OK, back to reality.

Having just had a baby who's three months old and has already flown five times with us, I can imagine cramming two more kids in the plane. Even if you did share belts on the kids, it would still be tight with the baby seat in the back. Further, my wife typically flies in the back with the baby.

Your best bet is a fixed gear cherokee 6. A 210 would work too, but gosh that back row is tight. A 206 would be ideal, but they tend to be pretty pricey as their demand for use in AK keeps them popular.

Also consider a 205. It's a fixed gear early variant of the 210. Again, that last row is tight, but with an Cont. IO-470 and fixed gear, it's familiar territory and the prices are quite affordable.

Edit: here's one for sale in TX: http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/CESSNA-205/1963-CESSNA-205/1352411.htm

Last edited:
I'd say 50-60% of my flying is with the family. We frequently use the plane to visit both sets of grandparents. They each live about an hour away by plane, and just shy of 3 hours by car. Renting wouldn't be practical for us, even if we could find a six seater to rent. Thanks though :)

In that case, I think others have presented some good ideas such as sticking with the 182 as long as you can and then move up to a 206. I prefer the 206 over the Piper family as I like high wings and the doors are better for entry, egress and cargo loading which is good for families.

One last thought..... snip, snip and you won't have to worry about needing a 208 some day.
:goofy:

I doubt you will be flying much at all for the first few months.
With that fact in mind, it may make sense to sell the plane now, put the proceeds in the bank and add some of the operating savings to the account and then buy the proper plane when the time is right.

In the meantime, you can rent a 2 or a 4 seater occasionally when you do have time or the need.

That is actually not a bad idea. Put the 182 on the market while you aren't flying much and then you have plenty of time to scout out the best replacement.

Congrats!!

If you look at the PA32 be sure to get one with Club Seats. They allow normal size people to sit in the seats without having their knees in their chest!

In that case, I think others have presented some good ideas such as sticking with the 182 as long as you can and then move up to a 206. I prefer the 206 over the Piper family as I like high wings and the doors are better for entry, egress and cargo loading which is good for families.

One last thought..... snip, snip and you won't have to worry about needing a 208 some day.
:goofy:

Truthfully, a 206 is going to be a little out of our price range. They seem to stay above 100K from what I've seen. We'd probably need to be sub 80K. Perhaps that's a low budget for some, but I think a decent Cherokee 6 260 could be had in that ballpark.

As I mentioned above, if we weren't open to another child, the ol' snippy snip would have been done. I think we'll get the doc to tie some things up in the wife's undercarriage after this.

That is actually not a bad idea. Put the 182 on the market while you aren't flying much and then you have plenty of time to scout out the best replacement.

You're probably right, but dang, I just got it! :sad:

I'm shocked Bonanza hasn't been said, yet. This has to be a POA record

Truthfully, a 206 is going to be a little out of our price range. They seem to stay above 100K from what I've seen. We'd probably need to be sub 80K. Perhaps that's a low budget for some, but I think a decent Cherokee 6 260 could be had in that ballpark.

Did you see my recommendation regarding the 205? Same era as your plane, fuel injected version of your engine, with the same wings and gear. Just an extra row of seats. Plenty to choose from below $80k.

One source says:

Admit it, you're just a stud's stud who won't be denied!

Well, my folks taught me not to be a braggart.

My cousin and his wife were having some trouble conceiving a few years ago, and he went to the doc to get his equipment checked out. His little swimmer count was 8 times the average man. Literally as much as a bull.

My brother has a birth control baby, and now I'm having one.

Once my wife and I decided to have our first son, it only took one try.

I think I'd better tell my boys to be extra careful when they get old enough.

Did you see my recommendation regarding the 205? Same era as your plane, fuel injected version of your engine, with the same wings and gear. Just an extra row of seats. Plenty to choose from below $80k.

Yes I did. Are those pretty rare? I've never actually seen one in person.

Congrats!!

If you look at the PA32 be sure to get one with Club Seats. They allow normal size people to sit in the seats without having their knees in their chest!

^^^I think this is the best plane for your mission

I think I'd be looking at PA32's as well in a year or two if I were you. The space for "kid stuff" alone would be worth it. You can always go with the straight-leg variants if the thought of retracts scares you. The 260HP variant would be plenty for flatlanders like us, although you won't be flying much faster than you were in the 182. I've seen a number of of them for under $60K, if that fits the bill.

Of course there are always Bo's and 210's, but they seem to command a bit more premium for the 6 seats than the Piper's do.

Not to mention when your BC fails a few more times you can do the 7th jump seat ;)

Technically your 182 won't be obsolete for another 33 months. FAR 91.107(a)(3)(i) says you can hold the baby in your lap until the second birthday. Just remember that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe. :D

Congrats on #3, nonetheless!

Stopped reading when i read it was a bummer to have a kid cause you dont have 5 seats....

But congrats, i have 3 myself.

Technically your 182 won't be obsolete for another 33 months. FAR 91.107(a)(3)(i) says you can hold the baby in your lap until the second birthday. Just remember that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe. :D

Hell, just toss it in the luggage compartment for the first four or five years! :goofy:

Problem solved.

Next.

Many years ago, I had a 1968 182 when the third kid came along. I devised a Field Approval to add a third seat belt in the rear seat. I got it pass the FSDO by adding a placard that stated any rear seat occupant was limited to 100 lbs when all three seat belts were occupied...

Many years ago, I had a 1968 182 when the third kid came along. I devised a Field Approval to add a third seat belt in the rear seat. I got it pass the FSDO by adding a placard that stated any rear seat occupant was limited to 100 lbs when all three seat belts were occupied...

Didn't some of the early 182s come with an extra seat?

Back