Holy freakin' cow.!!!

Kind of not surprising. I was a history minor, and did not have a single class either at the high school or collegiate level that covered in any way WWII. Lots of European history, multiple classes on WWI, and a few on American history. I know nothing was offered in high school, and I am pretty sure there was nothing offered in college (because I would have signed up for it in an instant.) But not one minute of any class that I took at any level in any subject covered WWII.

When and where did you go to high school? American history was a required class when I went to school and it covered Columbus to what was then modern times. WW2 was covered pretty well including what led up to it in both Europe and the Far East and how it all ended with the very appropriate dropping of the A-bomb. Has that been removed from H.S. curriculum? If so, why?

Yeah, QuikTrip gets really quality people. I hope they pay them well...

They make a great deal more than the average convenience store clerk, and have very good benefits. The store managers are equally well compensated, and almost all hiring/promotion is done from within.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So apparently Dec 7th is not a day that will live in infamy. I guess at some point 9-11 will be just an unknown too.

I thought I was gonna see some kind of cow, freaking. since I didn't, I'll include this:

which, by the way, has over THIRTY SIX FREAKIN MILLION VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!1

Well there is two mins of my life gone

So apparently Dec 7th is not a day that will live in infamy. I guess at some point 9-11 will be just an unknown too.

Hell, maybe that is why an increasing percentage of Americans disagree with our use of the atomic bomb on Japan.

Hell, maybe that is why an increasing percentage of Americans disagree with our use of the atomic bomb on Japan.

We could have invaded Japan, but the loss of life would have been at least 10 times as great. Would that have been better?

The moral of the story is: don't start a fight, it may not end the way you think.

When and where did you go to high school? American history was a required class when I went to school and it covered Columbus to what was then modern times. WW2 was covered pretty well including what led up to it in both Europe and the Far East and how it all ended with the very appropriate dropping of the A-bomb. Has that been removed from H.S. curriculum? If so, why?

My high school US history class never got to WW2, as we hit the end of the school year. We spent most of our time on the early history and the Civil War. WW1 through Modern Time was condensed into one short chapter. WW2 was a page or two and 9/11 was a short paragraph.

My college US since 1862 class didn't teach much on WW2. Just that it happened and it was between these people. Most of that class was about the civil rights movement, once we got past the Civil War.

I got sent home in middle school for doing a class project on Hiroshima. Something about scaring my classmates.

I actually learned more about WW2 via chapel lectures during my private elementary days then I did in the rest of my schooling. I learned about Hiroshima from a religious story about a farmer and his son. I still remember the story from age 6.

My high school US history class never got to WW2, as we hit the end of the school year. We spent most of our time on the early history and the Civil War. WW1 through Modern Time was condensed into one short chapter. WW2 was a page or two and 9/11 was a short paragraph.

My college US since 1862 class didn't teach much on WW2. Just that it happened and it was between these people. Most of that class was about the civil rights movement, once we got past the Civil War.

I got sent home in middle school for doing a class project on Hiroshima. Something about scaring my classmates.

I actually learned more about WW2 via chapel lectures during my private elementary days then I did in the rest of my schooling. I learned about Hiroshima from a religious story about a farmer and his son. I still remember the story from age 6.

The liberals want to write out of history things they don't like.

It was the choice that generation made. Not agreeing or disagreeing with the event. People get so wrapped up in Hiroshima and Nagasaki that they overlook the more devastating bombings. The fire bombing of Tokyo killed more then the twin nuclear strikes.

There is a school of thought that the bombs were a shot across the bow aimed at Stalin. Japan was already backed into a material and economic corner and was about to be defeated. The fact that Stalin was about to enter the Pacific theater scared Japan. It was a very real possibility that Japan could have become Communist. They didn't want to lose their monarchy.

The U.S. got lucky in that, Japan surrendered before our lie about the actual number of nuclear bombs was discovered by the Soviets. We only had enough material for one more bomb. Plus Truman banned any further use of the weapon.

The liberals want to write out of history things they don't like.

Even the US government wrote out history. The Air Force and Veteran Associations got the Enola Gay exhibit banned then changed after they protested about the inclusion of victim photos and artifacts. They cited that it was a slam against the American service men who died fighting in the war. A museum exhibit that is one sided shouldn't be allowed. Every angle should be included to let the viewer make up his/her own mind.

Like the current protests over the Confederate Battle Flag of Virginia. Some want it and other Confederate monuments to be banned from the National Parks and Battlefields. Uh...No...

Graduated from high school in 1988.

On Memorial Day we attended a Memorial Day ceremony. On the way home we stopped at a convenience store to get soda. It wasn't busy so I was talking with the cashier and told a story that the the keynote speaker, a retired Admiral, had told. Part of his job now is to interview HS seniors who are applying to the service academies. During one interview which occurred on Dec 7th, he noted the date and said "Ironic that we're having our interview on this date" and got a blank look from the candidate. Here, a HS senior, athletic, good grades and patriotic enough to want to go to Annapolis but he had no idea that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th.

In response to the story I got a blank look from the cashier.

All I could think of was "Oh my goodness, I bet he votes too."
I know what December 7th is, but I don't know why it would be ironic to have an interview on that date. Unless the applicant was Japanese. But then the applicant might be more offended than confused.

Of course if the applicant was Japanese then Dec. 8 would probably be more significant.

There will be kids voting this year that are too young to remember 9/11.

At least they didn't make it a public holiday so it could be remembered with the ritualistic burning of meat and discounted used car sales.

Didn't some other significant historical event occur on this day 72 years ago?

Didn't some other significant historical event occur on this day 72 years ago?
sshhh... we aren't allowed to talk about it because we have yet to apologize for damaging the delicate French beaches or for making the German people feel less superior than they thought they deserved to feel. How rude of you to even bring it up!!!

sshhh... we aren't allowed to talk about it because we have yet to apologize for damaging the delicate French beaches or for making the German people feel less superior than they thought they deserved to feel. How rude of you to even bring it up!!!

So that's why the frogs seem like such a-holes. We hurt their delicate feelings. It's our fault! I understand now and will try to be more understanding of them in the future. ;)

So that's why the frogs seem like such a-holes. We hurt their delicate feelings. It's our fault! I understand now and will try to be more understanding of them in the future. ;)

Well, it might have something to do with the racist epithets. Not many people are friendly to such things.

I went into the local big box in Steubenville, OH today. I had a $20 in my left hand and $0.16 in my right. My total was $3.55. So I gave her $20.05. I got one of these blank stares.

"Do you have 2 quarters?" She asked.

"No. But I will when you give me my change," I responded.

Still a bank stare.

”just plug it into your computer," Says I.

More blank stares, even when she was giving me change. I don't think she ever did get it.

Double face palm...

Back