Holy freakin' cow.!!!

Zeldman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Billy
I go into one of Juneau's finest independent restaurants today for lunch. The bill was $11.41. I give the cashier $21.41. Guess how long it took for that person to figure out how much change I should get, and then it was still wrong.

But then again, I do believe in the Peter Principle.

I go into one of Juneau's finest independent restaurants today for lunch. The bill was $11.41. I give the cashier $21.41. Guess how long it took for that person to figure out how much change I should get, and then it was still wrong.

Obviously not the Breeze Inn. They have very good help there. Mickey Ds maybe(?)

You'd be surprised the brain farts you can get cashiering. I have an Econ degree and can do a ton of it in my head and even when my old job required me to cashier I'd sometimes just lock up and couldn't do basic math. Then when the customer walks away your just like wtf why did I struggle with that.

I thought I was gonna see some kind of cow, freaking. since I didn't, I'll include this:

which, by the way, has over THIRTY SIX FREAKIN MILLION VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!1

That's almost as good as a pink Floyd concert on acid man.....

Eman1200, you go stand with your nose in the corner for a few minutes, young man.

Holy freakin' cow! A human being that breathes our precious air actually spent literally some amount of time making that video. Mind Blow!

. The bill was $11.41. I give the cashier $21.41. Guess how long it took for that person to figure out how much change I should get, and then it was still wrong.
I thought they had removed the cashier's brain from the equation by having them enter the amount paid into the register, and letting it do the fancy 'rithmetic? Sad state; but that is what I'm seeing. No more neurons damaged by simple math; let the machine think for you.

I stop in QuickTrips a lot. Every QT, every cashier, I've ever come across can make change fast and correctly. I took my brother in on a busy Saturday morning to pick up 4 or 5 coffees and said, "Watch this". The cashier made my change while ringing up the next customer and asking the third in line if he was ready

Thank God for stupid-proof registers or heads would explode. The best is watching when you hand them the money but they type in an incorrect amount tendered, and then have to figure out what the correct change is. You can sometimes see smoke coming out of their ears.

I recently saw a video of this chick being asked if your going 80 MPH how many miles will you travel in 1 hour. Chick could not answer it to save her life even after repeating it to herself piece by piece out loud. Never got it.

If I have a bill that's $2.51 cents Ill give $3.01 and even that confuses some. They will try to hand me the penny back, um no I don't want more pennies!

I thought they had removed the cashier's brain from the equation by having them enter the amount paid into the register, and letting it do the fancy 'rithmetic? Sad state; but that is what I'm seeing. No more neurons damaged by simple math; let the machine think for you.

Sad part is I just looked at the receipt, that is what happened. Amount tendered was put in and the correct change was printed, but the cashier still got it wrong.

I recently saw a video of this chick being asked if your going 80 MPH how many miles will you travel in 1 hour. Chick could not answer it to save her life even after repeating it to herself piece by piece out loud. Never got it.

If I have a bill that's $2.51 cents Ill give $3.01 and even that confuses some. They will try to hand me the penny back, um no I don't want more pennies!
I had a similar thing happen yesterday.. Total is $5.50.. I give her $11 and she tries giving me ones back..

I've given up trying to zero out the change. It's hopeless. It just slows things down. I wind up either having to give the cashiers math lessons, or waiting for them to call their managers (who can't figure it out either half of the time). I've resigned myself to just tossing my coins in a coffee can every night and trading them for Amazon gift cards at a Coinstar machine when the can is full.

Rich

On Memorial Day we attended a Memorial Day ceremony. On the way home we stopped at a convenience store to get soda. It wasn't busy so I was talking with the cashier and told a story that the the keynote speaker, a retired Admiral, had told. Part of his job now is to interview HS seniors who are applying to the service academies. During one interview which occurred on Dec 7th, he noted the date and said "Ironic that we're having our interview on this date" and got a blank look from the candidate. Here, a HS senior, athletic, good grades and patriotic enough to want to go to Annapolis but he had no idea that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th.

In response to the story I got a blank look from the cashier.

All I could think of was "Oh my goodness, I bet he votes too."

I thought I was gonna see some kind of cow, freaking. since I didn't, I'll include this:

which, by the way, has over THIRTY SIX FREAKIN MILLION VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!1

yeah I'm due for some cow tipping

If you've never seen the VerizonMath call, it's time worth spending.

What makes this one special, is it's not just the 1 person who couldn't do math, but 4 different people in a row:

Whenever I do as the OP did and give the cashier an amount of money that will result in a round number for change I always tell them what the result will be. In his case I would have said ""here's 21.41, you owe me 10 dollars." Even with that I sometimes get looks of confusion and even an argument. I have given up on trying to give back money when I get too much in change. I've gotten into arguments there as well. I figure it is a tax on the stupid cashier and owner for hiring the cashier.

Holy freakin' cow! A human being that breathes our precious air actually spent literally some amount of time making that video. Mind Blow!

That video would have made him somewhere between $10'000 and $60'000 in YouTube ad revenue by now.

So, there's that...

I had a similar thing happen yesterday.. Total is $5.50.. I give her $11 and she tries giving me ones back..

As long as she tried giving you 5 one-dollar bills, I don't see the problem. :)

. . . During one interview which occurred on Dec 7th, he noted the date and said "Ironic that we're having our interview on this date" and got a blank look from the candidate. Here, a HS senior, athletic, good grades and patriotic enough to want to go to Annapolis but he had no idea that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th.

I'm going to be honest, it would have taken me a little bit to make the connection, too. I don't connect "Dec 7th" (and many other historic anniversaries) with anything personally, so until the news media or others specifically mention the anniversary I normally wouldn't even think of it. It isn't to say that I don't have a decent knowledge of American history, I just don't correlate specific dates in my week to events that occurred almost a half century before I was born. However, you'd think some knowledge of key dates for the military applicant would probably be prudent for an interview.

People still use cash? Interesting.

You aritmetic geniuses missed your calling. Apparently you should have been cashiers!

On Memorial Day we attended a Memorial Day ceremony. On the way home we stopped at a convenience store to get soda. It wasn't busy so I was talking with the cashier and told a story that the the keynote speaker, a retired Admiral, had told. Part of his job now is to interview HS seniors who are applying to the service academies. During one interview which occurred on Dec 7th, he noted the date and said "Ironic that we're having our interview on this date" and got a blank look from the candidate. Here, a HS senior, athletic, good grades and patriotic enough to want to go to Annapolis but he had no idea that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th.

Kind of not surprising. I was a history minor, and did not have a single class either at the high school or collegiate level that covered in any way WWII. Lots of European history, multiple classes on WWI, and a few on American history. I know nothing was offered in high school, and I am pretty sure there was nothing offered in college (because I would have signed up for it in an instant.) But not one minute of any class that I took at any level in any subject covered WWII.

Actually, now that I think about it, there may have been discussion of the comparison of the output levels of the WWII nuclear weapons to more modern warheads in my college physics course on nuclear weapons. But that is the only discussion I can think of whatsoever that addressed anything at all about WWII.

I learned about Pearl Harbor from my uncle Leon. He was an Ensign assigned to the USS Arizona. He later became the Communications officer on a small island north of Hawaii called Midway. After that he became the youngest destroyer commander in WWII when he commanded the USS Leutze at Okinawa where it was hit by a Kamikaze. The ship was saved and returned to the US for repairs. He also served in the Korean Conflict and the Viet Nam War.

CowPope.jpg

Now this is a "Holy Freakin Cow"

During one interview which occurred on Dec 7th, he noted the date and said "Ironic that we're having our interview on this date" and got a blank look from the candidate. Here, a HS senior, athletic, good grades and patriotic enough to want to go to Annapolis but he had no idea that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th.

Duh it was the Germans....
pESRN5ul.gif

During one interview which occurred on Dec 7th, he noted the date and said "Ironic that we're having our interview on this date" and got a blank look from the candidate. Here, a HS senior, athletic, good grades and patriotic enough to want to go to Annapolis but he had no idea that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th.

Duh it was the Germans....
pESRN5ul.gif

You aritmetic geniuses missed your calling. Apparently you should have been cashiers!

I was, as a teenager.

The interesting thing is, I don't see people screw up change very much around me. I find it hard to believe the basic education system here is so much better than elsewhere. But then, I do also get responses from the local retailers when wearing nerd T-shirts. Go figure.

You never know where the other person is mentally. Did their wife leave them last night? Dog get hit by a car? Kid ran away? Because somebody isn't on the same page as me at a specific moment isn't an indication that they're stupid and asserting that they are doesn't make me smart. I'm polite and respectful of cashiers. At least they're working. I'm a big fan of that.

You never know where the other person is mentally. Did their wife leave them last night? Dog get hit by a car? Kid ran away? Because somebody isn't on the same page as me at a specific moment isn't an indication that they're stupid and asserting that they are doesn't make me smart. I'm polite and respectful of cashiers. At least they're working. I'm a big fan of that.

You are right. I should have considered this persons state of mentality. As I approached the cashier, I noted that this person looked, acted and reeked of a stoner. Massive amounts of tattoos, missing teeth, hair cut with a pair of gardening clippers, "uniform" dirty, not from working in the kitchen and ill fitting, wire hanging from lips, ears and nose and starting and ending every sentence with "duhuhu...".

Usually I can tell when a person has something else on their mind that is interfering with the current business at hand. As long as any mistakes are quickly corrected I just let it go. But this wasn't the case this time.

Back in my college days (about a decade ago), I worked at Sherwin-Williams paint store. We had a point of sale system that you type in the amount given and it calculated the change for you. It wasn't an option to bypass this step, you had to do it. I always just took the change out of the drawer, told the customer how much change was due, and handed it to them. One time in the three years I worked there, a lady wouldn't accept her change, until I counted it back to her. I couldn't do it. I was an astute lad, always made exemplary marks in school, but I had never thought about counting back change, and had never been shown how to do so. I knew the bank tellers always did it, but I never paid attention to it, didn't care that it was being done that way, and frankly, it never made much sense to me as they did it. I swear I'm not an idiot, but at 33 years of age, counting back change means nothing to me. They might as well be rambling off random numbers, lol. Well, maybe I am an idiot, but by golly I can tell you anything you need to know about WWII ;)

I stop in QuickTrips a lot. Every QT, every cashier, I've ever come across can make change fast and correctly. I took my brother in on a busy Saturday morning to pick up 4 or 5 coffees and said, "Watch this". The cashier made my change while ringing up the next customer and asking the third in line if he was ready

Yeah, QuikTrip gets really quality people. I hope they pay them well...

Was the Verizon recording an actual conversation and not staged? If so... WOW! It is pretty basic math and the caller does an excellent job explaining it to the Verizon rep, who seemed unable to grasp it. And the rep said he was a supervisor!

Oh, here is a funny skit from an old TV show that has math. Cracks me up.
Video

If you've never seen the VerizonMath call, it's time worth spending.

What makes this one special, is it's not just the 1 person who couldn't do math, but 4 different people in a row:

Now that's depressing.

Rich

Back