Holy Crap...

Could you share with the rest of us how much funding PBS gets from the government?

Thanks in advance.

I dont know (and too lazy to research ) how much the gov't gives per year. I do know that on the first day of the recent “shutdown” of the federal government, the administration was giving $445,000,000 to them:rolleyes2:

15 percent of their funding is from the government (PBS that is) and 69 percent of voters approve of that. It's a drop in the bucket compared to government waste and corruption, dept of defense, agriculture scams, try glen marine for instance.

I'm pit stopping in Gainsville FL on a rainy day.... I've been passing the time watching Fox News, what anger, what comedy.:lol:

Y'all understand that one of Rupert Murdoch's goals in life is to bring down American society right? :yesnod::rofl:

Whatever you say. :rolleyes: I'll take Rupert Murdoch over George Soros, who has actually tried to take down a country, any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Yeah, haven't watched it in years and years, just seeing where it had gotten to. It's like the WWE does the News channel lol. The cheapest most obvious propaganda machine works, Telemundo style stuff.

Just like any good lib. I don't watch Fox News, but Fox News sucks! :rockon::rockon::drool::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PBS runs as many commercials inbetween shows as network TV nowadays. I'm sure the first place I ever heard of Archer Daniels Midland, and various foundations like Robert Woods Johnson, were advertisements for them on PBS. And I forget which aviation companies advertised during AM Weather. Memory is failing. ;)

They should just drop the fascade that they're "public" TV and move on.

Locally, Public Radip is intertwined with commercial radio too. KBCO in Boulder is piped to the Summit County Ski Areas on translators provided by Summit Public Radio. KBCO is as commercial a station as exists anywhere. Decent tunes too. But being rebroadcast in the mountains by "public" radio? I suspect that one is because there's some limitation for the greenies who don't want the tower on the pretty mountain. But wrap it in "public" radio and the lefties think they're getting NPR from the mountaintop. Ha.

Summary : There's no such thing as public radio or TV in the U.S. anymore. Just another commercial station.

KRMA-TVs third digital sub channel is the PBS "Create" channel which is just Food Network Light, pushing cookware and DVD sets of shows like America's Test Kitchen. (Which is actually a darn good show...) Which in turn is just an hour long show sponsored by Fischer and Pikel cooktop manufacturers and various food companies.

Even the damn morning Yoga chick has corporate sponsors and commercials these days. ;)

15 percent of their funding is from the government (PBS that is) and 69 percent of voters approve of that. It's a drop in the bucket compared to government waste and corruption, dept of defense, agriculture scams, try glen marine for instance.

Then surely they can do without it. I mean, they would only have to raise 15% of their budget. Easy peezy.

Then surely they can do without it. I mean, they would only have to raise 15% of their budget. Easy peezy.

Poster above you thinks they have too much commercial support.

Are you going to make up the 15%?

Poster above you thinks they have too much commercial support.

Are you going to make up the 15%?

If the poster above is DenverPilot, I don't think he said that there is too much commercial support. I think he said that calling it "Public Television" is a misnomer, because of its commercial support.

So why the **** should I make up the 15%? I virtually never watch it (except when they show the Celtic Women :smilewinkgrin: when they are hawking "memberships"). They should make up that 15% any way they want to without sucking at the teet of the federal government. Is that so hard to understand?

So this is what it's like to read thread after thread in the Spin Zone?

No thanks.

If the poster above is DenverPilot, I don't think he said that there is too much commercial support. I think he said that calling it "Public Television" is a misnomer, because of its commercial support.

So why the **** should I make up the 15%? I virtually never watch it (except when they show the Celtic Women :smilewinkgrin: when they are hawking "memberships"). They should make up that 15% any way they want to without sucking at the teet of the federal government. Is that so hard to understand?

Why do you hate Big Bird?

I can't watch any mainstream TV news anymore. Everything is too dumbed down for the masses, you have to go digging around on the intertubes to figure out what is actually going on.

And a pet peeve of mine while I'm ranting... every time some major event goes down, instead of just giving us the facts they feel the need to fill up every second of airtime with useless chatter. Stating the obvious, speculating about something the police will let us know in a few minutes, etc, etc..

Unless it's happening in my backyard, I don't really need to know about it instantly. That's of no value, I'd rather they just came on and said "Some crazy *^*^&(*! just went down. We'll bring you details tonight." and got the story straight for us later that day.

Why do you hate Big Bird?

Those drumsticks would look good on the Thanksgiving table. :D

It doesn't matter which Network you favor. They are accomplishing exactly what they intend......... to keep us at each others throats and distracted. It wouldn't do for all of us to focus on the real problems. :mad2:

Why would an incredibly smart businessman like Murdoch want to destroy one of the major profit centers of his media empire :dunno:

His driving motivator for his political leanings is to help keep those in power that will allow him to continue to profit. He is a business man first and foremost, profit before politics, that's all folks.
'Twas ever thus... gossip and controversy sell, and media companies thrive when they snuggle up to politicos who prefer an ignorant populace.
On TV, they've almost completely abandoned any pretense of informing the public- it's mostly wild speculation or talking heads yelling at each other. Next phase will have the pundits competing in a wrestling ring, or having a beauty contest.
And if Murdoch seems like a sinister puppet master, just google "William Randolph Hearst" sometime... :rolleyes:

I dont know (and too lazy to research ) how much the gov't gives per year. I do know that on the first day of the recent “shutdown” of the federal government, the administration was giving $445,000,000 to them:rolleyes2:

And that 445 mil buys a lot of votes. :yes::mad2:

Unless it's happening in my backyard, I don't really need to know about it instantly. That's of no value, I'd rather they just came on and said "Some crazy *^*^&(*! just went down. We'll bring you details tonight." and got the story straight for us later that day.

I agree, but those days are long, long gone.

Back