"Holy Crap!!" Is not the best choice of words...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
In a strong crosswind landing, with a person new to GA flying in the right seat. Wasn't me who said it, but rather a friend of an uncle's neighbor's second cousin's mailman with his girlfriend beside him...

(Wow, reading that again it kinda sounded like it came from SixPapaCharlie or his partner-in-crime Erin...)

In a strong crosswind landing, with a person new to GA flying in the right seat. Wasn't me who said it, but rather a friend of an uncle's neighbor's second cousin's mailman with his girlfriend beside him...

(Wow, reading that again it kinda sounded like it came from SixPapaCharlie or his partner-in-crime Erin...)

Before I was a pilot a buddy took me flying in a rented 172. The airport (now my home base) is in a little valley with tree lines along the ridges on each side of the runway. If there is any crosswind, you can get some turb on approach as you drop below the treetops.

On final the guy yells "Holy fcsk" as the plane drops below the trees and I grabbed anything I could. Not a comforting bedside manner. The landing was fine, though.

I recall during training being bothered that there was no "oh siht" handle like in cars.

We would hit an air pocket and I'd go reaching for something to hold on to like the coyote going off the edge of a cliff. Pax love seeing the pilot get spooked.

I am better now ;)

And don't begin your normal descent to the airport by saying, "We're going down."

Exclaiming "weeeeeeeeeeee......" As you ride through light turbulence is also not recommended...

And don't begin your normal descent to the airport by saying, "We're going down."

Nah. You do the Sky King, "Coming in a for landing."

As opposed to coming in for a beer, I guess.

Exclaiming "weeeeeeeeeeee......" As you ride through light turbulence is also not recommended...
Actually, the young daughters of a friend of mine pretty much did that, commenting it was a nice roller coaster ride their mom would not have enjoyed.

Just after I got my cert, I was flying from a little grass strip near home, and I took my daughter for a flight...nervous-flyer wife remained on terra-firma.

Well, this airport had a ridgline on the downwind side, paralell to the runway, and another going along crosswind with a little v-notch pass that you flew final through. Well, from the nervous-flyer wife's perspective, she sees me dip behind that ridge about the same time I pull power on downwind in the pattern...so I disappear, and suddenly the engine gets much quieter.

She was not impressed. Daughter LOVED it though.

I don't recall reading about air pockets in my training.

Yeah, I went with the layman nomenclature there.
I hear that term a lot and I have no idea what it is supposed to imply.

My glider instructor said I couldn't fly with pilots until I stopped saying "whoaaaa," when I got bounced around on tow.

I took a passenger up a little whole ago who'd had lots of time in airplanes by none in gilders, and as part of my briefing I told her that some of what we did might seem unusual or even scary, but that unless she heard me screaming, it meant everything was normal. Her response, "So what should I do if I hear you screaming?"

I usually tell my passengers the turbulence is like a speed bump. Slow down a little and they are not so bad. Of course, I had just said it to one when we hit a bump that made me whack my head on the ceiling. Blue words were the head bump, not the speed bump!

Right before we would fly into clouds, my dad used to say "Brace for impact".

It's also not a good idea to tell your passengers that you have 30 minutes before you need oxygen as you pass through 12500 feet. BTDT.

I recall during training being bothered that there was no "oh siht" handle like in cars.

We would hit an air pocket and I'd go reaching for something to hold on to like the coyote going off the edge of a cliff. Pax love seeing the pilot get spooked.

I am better now ;)

my 1st lesson:

Heading towards Fargo westbound one day, below radar due to strong headwinds, in moderate turbulence, and with two inexperienced pax visiting from Argentina, Fargo Approach comes on with: "Bugsmasher 1234, are you at PANIC yet?"

I had some fast explaining to do.

I like landing with Whiskey better.

Last edited:
Back when I was a student, my son needed to get to a Jazz camp at Stanford, so we put him in the back and I and my instructor flew him over to Palo Alto. I was coming in a little high, so my instructor started saying (loudly) slip, slip, slip, but my son heard something different. S**t, S**t, S**t... He was still my first passenger, once I had my ticket though :)

When ATC transmits I always say, "Uh-oh"
Yeah. That was a hard day. I was direct Bismarck and Center was being very nice, working me low, out of radar contact, and off airways. Then the Center controller came on and said: "Bad news. Fargo won't take you off airways. Advise when ready to copy."

"Uh-oh."

Yeah. That was a hard day. I was direct Bismarck and Center was being very nice, working me low, out of radar contact, and off airways. Then the Center controller came on and said: "Bad news. Fargo won't take you off airways. Advise when ready to copy."

"Uh-oh."
It's natural for me. When coming from the south up to LI and I get JFK as a fix, I always have my pen and paper ready at least 50 miles away

When first I stated flying and forgot something stupid that I didn't do like set the AP correctly or dialed the wrong freq I would let out a verbal "oops".

...I learned real fast that uneasy passengers DO NOT like to hear that over the headset from a pilot!

Back