Holding Pattern Questions (IFR Exam)

steviedeviant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StevieD
POA,

I am working on my IFR. I am missing all of the practice questions on holding patterns. I am missing the ones on how to enter the hold, direct, teardrop, parallel. I am having a hard time picturing in my head. I know the degrees for each entry, I am just having time picturing it. I need to not only know this for the test, but I appear to be getting this very confused in my head.

Anyone know some easy references I could use or cheat sheets to learn this and get this down?
Thanks,
SD

POA,

I am working on my IFR. I am missing all of the practice questions on holding patterns. I am missing the ones on how to enter the hold, direct, teardrop, parallel. I am having a hard time picturing in my head. I know the degrees for each entry, I am just having time picturing it. I need to not only know this for the test, but I appear to be getting this very confused in my head.

Anyone know some easy references I could use or cheat sheets to learn this and get this down?
Thanks,
SD
Right hand rule.

If it's a hold with right turns, put your right wrist over the hold with your fingers tight, thumb out and the holding fix in the valley between your thumb and forefinger. If your entry is between your thumb and forefinger it's a teardrop because the valley between your thumb and forefinger looks sort of like a teardrop. If your entry is under your 4 fingers then it is a parallel entry because your fingers are parallel. If it's anywhere else then it's direct entry.

Use your left hand for left turns.

And don't forget to get an EFC time.

People make these things waaaay more complicated than they need to be, most times just stay on the protected side and the rest is just logic.

Last edited:
Not necessary to picture it or do it in your head. Draw it. You will be provided scratch paper on the test.

Studying for the IR exam as well. One thing I've noticed is everyone seems to have their own way of "getting through" the holding entries. My buddy was explaining to me his method (this was during a time he snuck me into a majors training facility to fly an Airbus sim where he instructs), which to this day still makes zero sense to me. But, I'll attempt to explain what makes sense to me.

I've started all my practice sessions with a blank piece of scratch paper and the first thing I do before answering any questions is draw 2 fixes with an arrow pointing to each from the left side. This represents the inbound leg. From the fix, one makes left turns and the other right turns. I label then appropriately, also adding in "standard" to the right turns. I then draw the appropriate "boundaries" for the patterns ("catching" the turn after the inbound leg and a line that extends from the inbound) and label the appropriate entry, "P, T or D". With practice, this takes about a minute.

When a question comes up, I rotate the paper so the hold is on the appropriate RADIAL and then I can visualize the heading or course to select the correct entry.

A couple things that confused me at first. 1) was getting the holds drawn correctly. Inbound always goes to the fix. "Hold east on the 090 radial" has an inbound heading of 270. Once you draw the inbound correctly, you can easily draw the correct turns. 2) was wrapping my head around the headings to the fix, which are 180 degrees to the radials.

And there is one "tricky" question in the database. One gives no heading which you are traveling, but the figure has a line drawn showing direction along the teardrop/parallel "boundary." The answer is tear drop while all the rest of the questions that travel this way is parallel (they give or show you headings for the "parallel")

Not necessary to picture it or do it in your head. Draw it. You will be provided scratch paper on the test.
This.

Holds is one of those simple things we unfortunately over-complicate. In recurrent training with instrument rated pilots, it's still one of the big issues. If you understand the basics and draw it, the AIM preferred entry (which is what is being tested on the knowledge test) becomes obvious more than 90% of the time.

My best recommendation is a ground session with a CFI who knows how to simplify it.

There are lots of helpful tips that can be used in the real world to jog your memory. For the test it's best to just draw it all out or memorize the answers. The first thing to remember is whenever it says "hold on" what ever radial you are actually flying the reciprocal inbound to the VOR. So if you are told to hold on the 300° radial to do so you are actually flying a 120 heading inbound to the VOR and a 300° heading outbound.

watch this video a coupl'a times. then, as already mentioned, draw them out a few times, it'll start making sense. at least on paper.

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Here is what I draw out before starting any questions. If the question calls for holding on the 090 radial, I rotate the paper 180 degrees. 330 radial, rotate 50 degrees.

Screenshot_20180907-081829_Samsung Notes.jpg

in searching for the gold method video I stumbled across this one, the thumb method. I subscribe to this guys channel, he has some real good videos.

I always liked to think about when you cross your holding pattern point for standard, if Tod inboound leg is to the right of the aircraft think teardrop. If it’s to the left think parallel. If it’s behind you think direct. Not perfect. But will get you in the ballpark. For nonstandard turns it’s the opposite.
The king way is how I do it for the test and hard to get them Wrong. Just take your time

Another vote for drawing it out. My problem is I was drawing them incorrectly. Inbound is ALWAYS to the fix. Once you get that, and can draw it out correctly, most of the time it's obvious.

Just took my written (passed with a 97%). I had 2 holding pattern entry questions on the test. After adding up (according to Sheppard) all the questions on this subject, there are 20 in the 1150 question database. So, if you feel you have good mastery of most of the other subjects, you could just guess....In the real world, I find it a lot easier than some random, oddly phrased question.

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Here is what I draw out before starting any questions. If the question calls for holding on the 090 radial, I rotate the paper 180 degrees. 330 radial, rotate 50 degrees.

View attachment 66975

Oh gawd, that.

Right hand rule.

If it's a hold with right turns, put your right wrist over the hold with your fingers tight, thumb out and the holding fix in the valley between your thumb and forefinger. If your entry is between your thumb and forefinger it's a teardrop because the valley between your thumb and forefinger looks sort of like a teardrop. If your entry is under your 4 fingers then it is a parallel entry because your fingers are parallel. If it's anywhere else then it's direct entry.

Use your left hand for left turns.

And don't forget to get an EFC time.

Also in IFR training. That method sounds cool but I'd have to see it demonstrated to fully understand it.

in searching for the gold method video I stumbled across this one, the thumb method. I subscribe to this guys channel, he has some real good videos.

Thanks Ryan, that one makes a LOT of sense. Now I just need to try it in the air.

My drawings are much simpler. No 70 degree lines. I do this with a series of instructions on a whiteboard when I give training. It is also how I copy an unpublished clearance in the air as it is given. "Hold southwest of the XYZ VOR (circle and course line, then numbers as they are given) on the 220 degree radial. [edit:] Left turns. Maintain 8,000. Expect further clearance at 0000Z." Last item is the arrow showing my heading to the fix.

Yes, there are limitations. It requires some visualization of the location of 220 and your heading's relation to the fix, so it will not work for everyone. And if the numbers are close on the written test question, you might have to spend a little more time if the information is close to an AIM edge. But, I was horrible at holds and this is what ultimately made me realize they were easy.
draw_hold.gif

Last edited:
My drawings are much simpler. No 70 degree lines. I do this with a series of instructions on a whiteboard when I give training. It is also how I copy an unpublished clearance in the air as it is given. "Hold southwest of the XYZ VOR (circle and course line, then numbers as they are given) on the 220 degree radial. Maintain 8,000. Expect further clearance at 0000Z." Last item is the arrow showing my heading to the fix.

Yes, there are limitations. It requires some visualization of the location of 220 and your heading's relation to the fix, so it will not work for everyone. And if the numbers are close on the written test question, you might have to spend a little more time if the information is close to an AIM edge. But, I was horrible at holds and this is what ultimately made me realize they were easy.
draw_hold.gif

Basically what do and teach. Key is as you say, when you arrive at the fix where is your nose pointed. Then decide on the entry. In Mark's example above, it would be a parallel entry.

Last edited:
Basically what do and teach. Key is as you say, when you arrive at the fix where is your nose pointed. Then decide on the entry. In Mark's example above, it would be a teardrop entry. You could even get by with a direct entry as you're just entering the pattern.
My mistake. I left out of the written clearance something that is in the drawing. I fixed it in the post: "Left turns." Now you have to fix your comment :D

This is one of those topics that there is the correct answers for the written, and then there is the real world way of doing it.

My drawings are much simpler. No 70 degree lines. I do this with a series of instructions on a whiteboard when I give training. It is also how I copy an unpublished clearance in the air as it is given. "Hold southwest of the XYZ VOR (circle and course line, then numbers as they are given) on the 220 degree radial. [edit:] Left turns. Maintain 8,000. Expect further clearance at 0000Z." Last item is the arrow showing my heading to the fix.

draw_hold.gif

all you did was draw the hold and your heading. how does this explain to a new student how to enter the hold?

I had trouble with that whole concept during IFR training. Made this image the background on my iPad. Seemed to help.

Attachments

• C11617FC-7B41-4542-8220-AB8753FAB620.png
    C11617FC-7B41-4542-8220-AB8753FAB620.png
    489.6 KB · Views: 29
If you understand the different entries and their method of getting in the hold, the rest is easy. Like others have mentioned draw it out. Not only the hold, but draw the fix and where your airplane is in relation to the fix. Once you have drawn it out enough you start to understand how it works and then its just becomes the question of where you are in relation to the fix.

One thing that helped me was to not only draw the airplane and the holding pattern in relation to the fix, but also draw what your heading indicator would look like if you are going direct to the station.

For example, refer to the attached image Holding Pattern 1. Lets say Tower gave you holding instructions to hold on the 330 radial from the ABC VOR. In the example, the airplane is heading 210 direct to the VOR. So picture the holding pattern on your Heading Indicator with the center of the Heading Indicator representing the VOR. All you need to know is the inbound course of the hold and which direction the holding pattern turns are. So in this case the inbound course of the hold is 150 and right turns. Based on our location from the VOR (Northeast), we can see that we will have a DIRECT entry. This only works if you are heading directly to the fix/VOR.

Attachment Holding Pattern 2 shows a different scenario and entry method. Tower gives you instructions to hold on the 040 radial from the XYZ VOR, LEFT hand turns. You are heading 350 direct to the VOR. Picture the holding pattern on the Heading Indicator. The inbound course of the hold is 220 so it will be a you are approaching from the South East so it will be a Parallel Entry It will always work as long as you are going direct to the fix/VOR.

Attachments

• holding pattern 1.jpg
    holding pattern 1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 11
  • holding pattern 2.jpg
    holding pattern 2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 9
Also in IFR training. That method sounds cool but I'd have to see it demonstrated to fully understand it.
Time for some crude graphics.

To review, here's what I described.
144061f.jpg

For example, "Cherokee 12345, Luke Approach, direct HIGNI, cleared for the RNAV RWY3 approach."
(right on the 70 degree line so direct entry)
zwjouh.jpg

"Goodyear Tower, Cherokee 12345 on the missed"
(airplane pointed at the teardrop so use teardrop entry)
2wmjeph.jpg

"Chandler Tower, Cherokee 12345 on the missed"
(airplane pointed at parallel fingers so use parallel entry)
2qjzwas.jpg

Also works in the airplane except you have to swap hands. Left hand for right turns, right hand for left turns.
"Approach, Cherokee 12345, my iPad just overheated and I need delay vectors while I blow on it."
"Hold west of the podunk VOR on the 268 radial, EFC 2000, currently 1950."
(teardrop entry)
2r4q2pl.jpg

This is one of those topics that there is the correct answers for the written, and then there is the real world way of doing it.
The good news is once you get your rating, you do it on the correct side, however you please. My instructor said everyone does direct or teardrop...but I prefer direct or parallel.

all you did was draw the hold and your heading. how does this explain to a new student how to enter the hold?
That's not the whole lesson.nor even the pre-lesson homework. But I've found that having a very rudimentary understanding of the AIM entries has even new students correctly choosing the entry from drawings like that.

For example, "Cherokee 12345, Luke Approach, direct HIGNI, cleared for the RNAV RWY3 approach."
(right on the 70 degree line so direct entry)
zwjouh.jpg

Never seen that before but I really like it. Right hand for right hold and vice versa. Except if you're cleared for the approach from HIGNI you wouldn't enter the hold because it says NoPT. :D

Except if you're cleared for the approach from HIGNI you wouldn't enter the hold because it says NoPT. :D

Yeah, that was a manufactured example thrown together hastily at the last minute. :D

The good news is once you get your rating, you do it on the correct side, however you please. My instructor said everyone does direct or teardrop...but I prefer direct or parallel.
There are plenty of variations on that theme. I've heard if flight schools which teach only two. Others who forego the 70 degree transition in favor of 90.

I'm a three entry guy myself, but, I think partly a result of how I eventually came to my drawing-the-clearance technique, I don't pay the AIM edges much heed and choose the one which just looks reasonable to me. I have a preference for teardrop over parallel when the two are close, but I also tend to use parallel in some situations when the AIM would say direct.

Of course, with the ability of navigators like the GTN and Avidyne to paint even ad hoc holds on the screen, it's easier to just do the entry the box recommends. But for too many, that becomes an excuse to avoid understanding the entries,

Had a CFI teach me NITNOP

As you are approaching the fix....
Nose
Inside
Teardrop
Nose
Outside
Parallel

Had a CFI teach me NITNOP

As you are approaching the fix....
Nose
Inside
Teardrop
Nose
Outside
Parallel

Never heard that one, but I like it. I don't find hold entry really that difficult, unless you are splitting hairs for a written test question. There are times in the real world where either a teardrop or parallel would suffice without any headache, as long as you stay in the protected airspace of the hold and don't get fancy with it.

Back