Hoffmeister kink

arnoha

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
arnoha
Noticed that this feature blossomed to lots of cars a few years ago and now appears to be retracting back as a styling feature. Of course, bimmers continue to sport it. What do you guys think? What are your bounds of what you'd call a kink? Would you want a car with it? Does it look derivative if it's not on a bimmer?

Never heard of it. Internet search doesn't provide any useful info on what it is.

Never heard of it. Internet search doesn't provide any useful info on what it is.
It's that bend in a car's bodywork near the side rear that gives a car a coke bottle shape, analogous to hips on a human.

And, no. I haven't noticed it's prominence other than on retro styled cars.

I've always heard that it's using the entire chicken.

Come on, what kind of response did you expect to get?

It's that bend in a car's bodywork near the side rear that gives a car a coke bottle shape, analogous to hips on a human.

And, no. I haven't noticed it's prominence other than on retro styled cars.

So like a step side pickup? LOL

Huh. Planes, cars, thought there'd be more overlap in interest. But yeah, it's a subtle but instantly-identifiable styling feature that started on BMWs decades ago and is now linked to the brand just like kidney grills are. But I see it everywhere lately. Which seems like a strange choice to pick another brand's iconic styling element to incorporate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofmeister_kink

Note the appearance on a Honda Accord! (And then disappeared on the next gen.)

2014_Honda_Accord_2.0_VTi-L_in_Cyberjaya,_Malaysia_(03).jpg

Honestly, I've never noticed. But I also only really check out cars I plan on driving. Same with planes.

Maybe it's drifted north from Munich to Ingolstadt?

View attachment 65435

Hmmm...borderline in my opinion. That looks more like the lower window line sweeping up to meet the C pillar line than the C pillar line kinking back, but it's right on the blended line between the kink and a hockey stick. Weird to see it...Audi and MB have astutely avoided this feature so as not to give credence to their neighboring competitor. Both German competitors tend to use a straight window line that ends at a point.

Have no idea wtf your talking about

Scared enough to straighten out your kink, or make it crawl back inside?

Here's a hint: if I make a post on PoA, it will NEVER EVER be about my penis and its preferences. Really.

sigh I'm losing it. Being schooled on an internet meme by geriatrics.

As a major car guy and multiple BMW owner, I was well aware of the Hoffmesiter Kink but I'm not surprised most people aren't.

But back to the original question - Yes, I think it is a bit diluted from the BMW essence - both because many other cars are adopting it and because I feel that BMW is kind of losing its way.

Actually Chevy did it first
0d1c6c9465a5c8c0a03f7fb7b0b9e56a.jpg

But back to the original question - Yes, I think it is a bit diluted from the BMW essence - both because many other cars are adopting it and because I feel that BMW is kind of losing its way.

Which leads to an interesting side question, which car maker isn’t losing their way right now?

Certainly Mercedes is also off the rails. Ford stoped making cars.

Everything else is the exact same EPA induced bubble shape with no rear window and no visibility covered to the nines with sensors to make up for the lack of windows...

You can barely buy a real work pickup truck anymore, they all come with prom dresses and bling...

LOL. They’re all a mess right now.

Which leads to an interesting side question, which car maker isn’t losing their way right now?

Everything else is the exact same EPA induced bubble shape with no rear window and no visibility covered to the nines with sensors to make up for the lack of windows...

You can barely buy a real work pickup truck anymore, they all come with prom dresses and bling...

I’d recommend a Fiat

^^^^^^this this this^^^^^^^

They all look like an egg. I hate today's aerodynamically efficient cars, absolutely despise them. I will drive my great big 1986 box of a car until I or it dies.

Holy crap, this. Who keeps both raising the trucks and raising the sides? It used to be I could easily toss things into the bed of my truck and grab them back out again. Even the one-tons if they weren't a dually! Because, duh, I'm 6'2", I should be able to do this. Average height people should be able to do this, too.

Now? The damn bed floor is above my maximum lift point (not sure what to call it...but you know what I'm talking about...that height that you can comfortably lift a heavy load, above which your ability to lift and control it is seriously compromised). The bed sides are so high off the ground, I can't even see what's in the bed, let alone access it. I never really understood running boards before. Conceptually, yes, but I'd always just step right past them. Now? 6'2" and I use the damn running boards to get in.

It's just not useful. It's all styling and no substance. Having things up that high may look macho af, but it digs into the usability of the truck enormously. Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, Nissan, it doesn't matter...just stop, please.

OK rant over.

Even a plain-Jane Camry looks like a Star Wars storm trooper helmet on wheels.

View attachment 65476

Where's Harley Earl when we need him?

OK, I don't see how the second is better than the first. They're both gaudy and massively over-ornamented, like a dude wearing way too much jewelry.

I for one, love my trucks spruced up with smells of rich mahogany, leather bound books, prom dresses, and fancy interiors.

Back