His & Her Toys -- His Toy (A)

cameronbm

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce Cameron
My present is permission to start shopping for my (correction OUR :p) airplane, with the goal of purchasing soon after my wife completes her PPL.

Caveats:

• I am not to look at tail-draggers or planes with canopies (don't ask why, I don't know & its non-negotiable)
  • No Mooney's -- I know it's a great plane, but there is something about the seating position that gives me a case of screaming claustrophobia (I've been in a C, F, J, and Ovation).
The basic mission calls for a plane capable of midwest cross-country flying, capable of carrying 700 lbs (2 humans, 2 large dogs, luggage) and at least 4 hours fuel and able to operate out of 1900' grass strip. The base level of performance is 140 kts at an operating cost of ~$200/hr; faster is better as long as the operating costs are proportional (e.g.: 210 kts @ $300/hr, 280 kts @ $400/hr, etc). The vast majority of flights will either begin or end at night. Simple and reliable are pluses (I'm looking for aviation's equivilant of the M1 Gerrand).

The ideal plane would have pilot and co-pilot door, have a ride like a '65 Cadillac Sedan de Ville, have the appeal of a Ferrari, and is not something you see on the ramp every day. It would also be nice to be able to cover 1300 nm in two legs.

The budget says $100K with $50k reserve for that first annual.

Given all that, what am I looking for?

Bruce

280kts at $100k. I wish!!!

Sounds like a Cherokee 6 is in order. You'll be around 140kts with that.

Your described profile says - screams - Bonanza. You can go fast when you like, you can go more slowly for amazingly little fuel when you must.

Load carrying is right in line.

Your described profile says - screams - Bonanza. You can go fast when you like, you can go more slowly for amazingly little fuel when you must.

Load carrying is right in line.

*cough* spar AD *cough*

Well, the real requirements just screamed C-182 to me. 700 pounds in the cabin will require something less than full tanks, and it isn't exacly a Ferrari, nor is it unusual, but it is comfortable.

Well, the real requirements just screamed C-182 to me. 700 pounds in the cabin will require something less than full tanks, and it isn't exacly a Ferrari, nor is it unusual, but it is comfortable.
I was thinking the 182 too, but it fails on a couple of his criteria. I flight plan at about 135KTS. And it certainly isn't going to be unusual on the ramp. We've got 621lbs payload on the one we fly regularly so yeah, you might need to leave 15 gallons behind, but that still gives you 73 gallons and 4 hours flying time with reserve. Certainly simple & reliable, and parts and maintenance shouldn't be an issue.

The ideal plane would have pilot and co-pilot door, have a ride like a '65 Cadillac Sedan de Ville, have the appeal of a Ferrari, and is not something you see on the ramp every day. It would also be nice to be able to cover 1300 nm in two legs.

The budget says $100K with $50k reserve for that first annual.

Given all that, what am I looking for?

Bruce

Super Commander. A 114 or 115 airframe with an 320-hp IO-580 engineered onto the front.

I'm having a problem reaching their website today. Flying did an article on it last year. As always, the Commander Owners Group site is the place to go.

Won't meet the fantasy $100k budget though, but given the thorough upgrading process, you may not need to reserve $50k for a surprise annual.

-Rich

Last edited:
While I like the Super Commander concept, I just don't see that I could find that $52k 114 or 115 to install a $92k STC on.

Bruce

Cessna 182. Maybe even an RG.

Bonanza is a good choice too but I don't think you'll find one for a comparable price.

The Cessna is the Toyota Camry/Honda Accord of airplanes - it does pretty much everything well.

With the exception of the Cherokee 6, would the C-182, Bonanza or the Cherokee 235 have sufficient cubic inches should I have to crate the 2 dogs? I know one is a good flyer, don't know about the other and while they "play well" together in the car, the last thing I need is to have a dog fight in flight.

Any thoughts about a C-205 or perhaps a 206?

Bruce

With the exception of the Cherokee 6, would the C-182, Bonanza or the Cherokee 235 have sufficient cubic inches should I have to crate the 2 dogs? I know one is a good flyer, don't know about the other and while they "play well" together in the car, the last thing I need is to have a dog fight in flight.

Bruce

A 205 will haul a ton but not fast -- 120-130 knots maybe...

The Cherokee 235 often has a 1300-1400# useful load... it's a true full fuel + 4 people + bags airplane, and handles grass/short fields wonderfully. I have a friend that owns one; if you want to talk actual numbers and experiences, I can put you in touch with him. He LOVES his. Can be had easily for $50K-$75K.

Bruce

With both of those the speeds go down. In a 182 you could pull the back seat and have room for crated dogs. Before you buy, take the dogs (one at a time) up for a flight, and see how they do. The times I've flown with dogs they go to sleep by the time we're at cruise.

Consider mutt muffs too.

The Cherokee 235 is a classic example of throwing extra horsepower at an airframe and a bit more speed and some more useful load - the Cherokee airframe is fortunately strong enough to handle the extra horses. Loading through a single door can be a PITA though.

I refuse to comment. No Mooneys. Geez.:D

Back