Hip replacement

Tommar98

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tommar98
New to forum. Curious if anyone knows of any issue with hip replacements for 3rd class medical. My wife just started her private pilot training. She has had a hip replacement- result of an injury as a child. I’d hate to see her get derailed at the start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think as long as the hip works she'll be fine, but a real doc will hopefully be along with real info.

No issues with her hip. She walks and hikes and is more active than me. That's why I want her to learn to fly. A real co-pilot will help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Bruce will provide the correct answers....

But what I have seen with past threads on similar joint topics.... The surgery is declared on the 8500-8 form. AME will ask some questions about it and ask that some range of motion movements be done while he observes. Might also do something to evaluate strength of the limb.

If all good to his satisfaction, he makes appropriate notes on his side of the form and motors onward.

This one is approved by "AME inspection"

Tommar, bbchien (aka more formally as Dr. Bruce Chien) is a senior AME well known for assisting with difficult medical certifications. So there you have it. If your wife has good range of motion and strength, her successful hip surgery will not be an issue. -Skip

Last edited:
Remember the limitations about flying and opioids/pain killers. As a surgeon told me many years ago when I asked when I could drive (not hip replacement, but a major surgery), he replied I could drive when I felt like it, but I wasn't gonna feel like it for at least 6 weeks.

Had knee replacement mid-may. Driving after 2 weeks but not gonna even try to fly until late July or August.

Last edited:
Thanks for help. I know Dr. Chien well. He is currently handling my difficult medical. I can't say enough good things about him. Didn't know he was on this forum.

This one is approved by "AME inspection"
Pretty much my experience. I came in with a notebook filled with reports just in case. My AME didn't even look at them. As @murphey said about her knee, the personal grounding part is easy. It's pretty self-limiting. If you can't climb up to check the fuel on a Cessna, don't fly :)

Almost 3 months after my anterior total hip replacement I’m doing great. Better range of motion than before surgery, no pain, no problems. I have a note from my surgeon saying I’m ok for all normal activities. I’ll bring that note with me for my next FAA medical. I self grounded for about 5 weeks and have been flying steadily since then.

Almost 3 months after my anterior total hip replacement I’m doing great. Better range of motion than before surgery, no pain, no problems. I have a note from my surgeon saying I’m ok for all normal activities. I’ll bring that note with me for my next FAA medical. I self grounded for about 5 weeks and have been flying steadily since then.

Thanks Lance. Actually my wife's replacement was about five years ago. She mentioned in passing wanting to learn more about flying. Got her an info flight (my brother is flight instructor so that helps.) Now she is hooked. So now a plane purchase is really an economic possibility

:) :) :)

6 weeks after knee replacement...there's a vice around the knee but I'm driving, walking, etc. But with a low-wing airplane, I can get in the cherokee, but almost impossible to get out. Another couple weeks of PT and then I'll see how I'm doing. Perfect time to schedule the annual.

[Update]
11 weeks after TKR. Didn't fly in July. August isn't likely, either. Just got back from the surgeon (a month earlier than planned) He's wondering if there's an infection, since I'm experiencing more pain than he expected (and more pain than anyone even casually mentioned to me!)

Merriam-Webster dictionary lists 32 synonyms for "angry". I use most of them every day. Of course my favorite isn't on the list: p*55ed.

Last edited:
Pretty much my experience. I came in with a notebook filled with reports just in case. My AME didn't even look at them. As @murphey said about her knee, the personal grounding part is easy. It's pretty self-limiting. If you can't climb up to check the fuel on a Cessna, don't fly :)
I have a Cherokee - no problem checking the fuel. Nyah nyah nyah.

I have a Cherokee - no problem checking the fuel. Nyah nyah nyah.

Knees are fickle Murphey. Mine (laparoscopic meniscus repair) took twice as long as anticipated to feel better, meaning persistent pain for over a month to month and half rather than a week or two they told me. My procedure was minor compared to yours. It did get better after that month and half or so and after a year was as good as new. That was 4 years ago. I'm hoping you have the same result.

6 weeks after knee replacement...there's a vice around the knee but I'm driving, walking, etc. But with a low-wing airplane, I can get in the cherokee, but almost impossible to get out. Another couple weeks of PT and then I'll see how I'm doing. Perfect time to schedule the annual.

[Update]
11 weeks after TKR. Didn't fly in July. August isn't likely, either. Just got back from the surgeon (a month earlier than planned) He's wondering if there's an infection, since I'm experiencing more pain than he expected (and more pain than anyone even casually mentioned to me!)

Merriam-Webster dictionary lists 32 synonyms for "angry". I use most of them every day. Of course my favorite isn't on the list: p*55ed.
Sorry to hear. :(

Guess you'll need a high wing. Someone else can check the fuel, but getting in and out is easier.

[Update]

My mom's cousin had a TKR and it became infected, he had a hard time with it I think they ended up going back in, he has since died (but not from that). I have arthritic knees but his experience turned me off the idea of joint replacement although they might be better at it now than several years ago. We moved into a one story house and that seems to have cured most of my knee pain, for now anyway.

So sorry to hear about your difficult recovery. Sucks.:(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back