Highest cruise altitude in an AA5?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
When it comes to the Grumman Traveler/Cheetah/Tiger line, much has been discussed about performance in regards to takeoff and climb rates. But I’m curious, how do these aircraft do in cruise at high altitudes, perhaps 10,500 to 11,500? What are the true airspeed like? I’m sure it can largely depend on how heavily the aircraft is loaded (as with any other aircraft).

There has been talk about not-so-good climb performance out of high-elevation airports (despite what the POH may claim), so perhaps these aircraft don’t perform that well. Wing design can give an aircraft less drag at lower altitudes, but not as much lift at high altitudes. RV pilots say that an RV 9 at high altitudes will actually cruise faster than a -7 or -8, whereas they don’t at the lower altitudes.

IMHO, having flown a Tiger at 8000-9000 for X country, the real question is how much margin do you have? The Tiger get's great fuel burn for the 130 or so kts it does, but it just doesn't climb well as you've mentioned. Trade offs. Climb rate at 9,000 is "sluggish" to be charitable.

BTW - the specs show Cruise Altitude to be 8,500'. This to me suggests it is the optimal altitude.

Cruise Speed (75% Pwr) 141 kts
Cruise Altitude 8,500 ft

I have flown our traveler at 9500 and it was a big sluggish on the controls and the climb was slow, at near gross weight, hot summer in central Florida.

During summer over GA/TN I took a Tiger up to 10,500 coming back to middle TN to over the bumps, heat, and a scattered layer. It took a while to climb the last couple thousand (been a while, but around 200-300 fpm), but it did fine once there.

I’ve had my Tiger at 10,500 in the summer. As the PP said, climb above 9000 is slow but cruise performance at altitude is fine. I believe the “official” ceiling is 13,000’ but there was an online article awhile back by someone who had eeked 14k+ out of his.

I have a 74’ AA5 with the 160hp stc. Florida based.

Took it to 10,500 once. Climb was around 300fpm with 2 people on board. TAS was 128kts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've taken my Tiger to 14K. Stopped there b/c I didn't have any oxygen. The climb rate was pretty anemic but it probably had a few thousand left in her. I made a YT video about it...but I don't want to pi$$ off the anti-YT'ers here so I won't post the link LOL. I often cruise between 7500 and 10500 depending on where I'm going and what the winds are doing. TAS b/w 130-135 @ 8.5-9.5 gph. My numbers are pretty close to the book.

While high DA climb isn't a strong suit, it gets the job done. A powerflow would help out.

I normally cruise 12.5 in a Tiger. Takes like an hour to get there from sea level haha

Some Traveller experience 74’ model. Great plane, would not hesitate to purchase another in future.

Couple cross-countries at various altitudes. Going up is always slow and was told to watch the temperatures during extended climbing on hot day.

Agree with others, the last couple thousand feet is achingly slow, but worth it for a good tailwind.

Attachments

• IMG_1622.jpeg
    IMG_1622.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 29
I have a '74 AA5 with the high compression STC and Sensenich STC prop. IFR I usually file for 8000 or 9000 feet, winds aloft permitting, for a good ride. With this configuration, 500 fpm or so is pretty attainable except in the hottest weather up to 10,000 feet with a 2000 lb gross weight (2 aboard plus some baggage). 10,500 or 11,500 is no problem but it's a little slower getting there. TAS doesn't change that much with altitude. I usually plan for about 117 kt at 2550 rpm (7.5 gph), or 120 kt at 2600 rpm (8.0 gph). With the HC engine, you can get redline (2650 rpm) up through 10,000 feet for sure, but I don't like running that hard, or the fuel endurance at that setting.

The stock engine and stock cruise prop are a whole 'nother thing. Climb even to 8000-10,000 feet was painfully anemic, approaching 300 fpm at 2000 lb loading in the summer as you approached cruise altitude. At altitude, cruise is book speed.

When one asked the question the OP did, one has to be very careful of the aircraft configuration. HC STC, Sensinich prop, Powerflow exhaust, one, two, or some combination thereof?

I've taken my Tiger to 14K. Stopped there b/c I didn't have any oxygen. The climb rate was pretty anemic but it probably had a few thousand left in her. I made a YT video about it...but I don't want to pi$$ off the anti-YT'ers here so I won't post the link LOL. I often cruise between 7500 and 10500 depending on where I'm going and what the winds are doing. TAS b/w 130-135 @ 8.5-9.5 gph. My numbers are pretty close to the book.

While high DA climb isn't a strong suit, it gets the job done. A powerflow would help out.
Your videos are great. I wish you would go back to make more of them.

Had one for years ... did great 8500-10500. Most of my flying time in the Tiger involved LONG XC ... that 52 gallons capacity helped tremendously.

Back