High Wing vs. Low Wing, end of discussion...

^ Yeah, That. ;)

As for floats, My Cherokee 180 was once on floats. :D

Always hated this argument....if your opinion is strong one way or another....your not really an aviator.

If it flys....give me the keys. I like em both....and each carries their own pros n cons.

If you think there was one iota of seriousness in my original post...well...let's just say...no, there wasn't.

I'm getting ready to put a few dozen hours on a DA-40 and am looking quite forward to it.

Alaska pilots live in a place where the men outnumber the women 7:1. Not so sure I'd trust the opinion of guys wanting to hang out with other dudes all the time.

Cue video game scene from 40 Year Old Virgin....

More like 1.08 men to 1 woman

. Got anxious doing a "one main gear landing" and went around, ran out o gas on upwind and cartwheeled it. He was fine. Never woulda happened in a low wing.

How many low-wing jump planes have we seen? The Beech 18, maybe. And the DC-3. Long time ago. The 182 and 206 and 208 seem to be the airplanes of choice. High wings so you can stand on the gear strut and not mess up the airflow over the top of the wing. Or maybe hit the stab on the way off.

If that gear fell off when the guy stood on it, there were some serious maintenance issues there. They should be thankful it wasn't a wing that came off.

Hop on the ferry to kodiak....I'll give you a ride in a high-wing. Not one of those ***** planes!

I thought about pinging you while here but figured you stayed pretty busy...we're heading back to Anchorage today for the weekend, flying out Monday afternoon.

If you went to the Homer Brewing Company on Lakeshore drive you passed right by my house. I was in Lake Clark National Park all day today doing bear guiding.

Yeah, hard pressed to find a low wing around here. But even I am getting tired of hearing the float planes taking off all day.

It's definitely not quiet up here! The only time I got aggravated was when we hiked 1/2 a day to get to the middle of nowhere and was buzzed by a super up flying at treetop level while trying to have a peaceful
lunch...kinda ruins the solitude. We were in the middle of the wilderness area and I assume that the same 2,000' AGL request is on the charts over wilderness areas and parks like in the lower 48. But, obviously, I have no clue if that's true.

If I'd've known (or remembered) you were in Homer, I'd've tried to get together with you for a beer...we could've come over any day this week...that would have been hoot.

Speaking of a hoot, Matthew (from here...lives in KC) is also up here this week with his wife. We're both celebrating our 30th anniversaries and both cruised Resurrection Bay on Monday...completely coincidental. We were on different cruises but got together for dinner afterwards. It was a great time.

Don't ruin a good joke with facts!

And all the women up here say "the odds are good but the goods are odd" thus David should fit right in! :wink2:

<jk David...>

<maybe>

Edit: would someone please tell Siri that "thus" is a word and to f---ing quit changing it to "this."

Oh and plexiglass wings would be nice so to can see where you're going when turning in the pattern.

I don't understand the problem with turning base in a high wing. Just roll out with the runway number on the far left of the DG and you are on a perfect left base. :dunno:

I like the view from a high wing. Aviating is as much about alternative views of the world as it is about shrinking distances; at least, that's the case for me.

Of course, high wing pilots need a bit more skill at landing, without the cushy ground effect you get with a low wing.

Creature comforts are nice, too. Easy entry, sunshade/umbrella, no crawling under the aircraft on preflight. And some of them are so easy to fly, you almost can't kill yourself in them.

I'll again make the case that a rear set high wing is the best of both worlds!

11450102685_53aae3f82a_z.jpg

That depends how you define 'best'. :rofl:

Once you start to get older,you appreciate a high wing,for ease of entry exit,shade at air shows. Protection from the rain.

This ... a thousand times over in Texas.

At Osh, I had to beat people off with a stick when it got hot because we were parked right across from the red barn at show central.

From the Alaskan bush pilot perspective, there is no competition. High wing is better for bad terrain and floats. Really hard to argue that. Here in the lower 48, where 95% of flying is hard surface it is still personal preference. I will say however, you never see a high performance plane that is high wing.

Mu-2

Twin Otter

Come to mind as well

Low wing planes are sexy, girls love em!

You may want to check out the WACO. It's a high performance bi-wing. http://www.wacoaircraft.com/

And oh by the way, from the second world war on, all combat aircraft are low wing. I doubt the guys that flew and fly them today would be considered pu**sys.

yeah, I especially love the low wing C-130 gunship.

If you are just interested in getting form point A to point B a few states away, getting there fast and are not very concerned with enjoying the view, go for a spiffy low wing. They make sense for that.

If you are interested in enjoying the view, landing on unimproved strips, putting it one floats, having a plane with more utility and enjoying the general experience of what aviation has to offer, go for a high wing.

These are not absolutes but are pretty true in general. Unless you want to spend all of your time in the pattern, debating about the views on base and final turns is pointless.

When a high wing takes the gold in either Unlimited, or even sport class at Reno, maybe then I'll take high wings seriously. ;):D

Of course if you get back to me in twenty years or more with creaky bent everything, you might see me clawing my way into a Cessna Cardinal RG.

And oh by the way, from the second world war on, all combat aircraft are low wing.

Not so. Not only were there high wings in WWII such as the B-24, there were also biplanes -- in combat. For example the Fairey Albacore torpedo bomber in the British Royal Navy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Albacore

I just saw one a week ago at the CAF museum in Midland TX.

Last edited:
You may want to check out the WACO. It's a high performance bi-wing. http://www.wacoaircraft.com/

And oh by the way, from the second world war on, all combat aircraft are low wing. I doubt the guys that flew and fly them today would be considered pu**sys.

Yeah, like the entire teen series of fighters are low wings???

B-52, B-47, C-119 gunship,C-130, C7, C-141, C5

F-111:

attachment.php

Attachments

• F-111.jpg
    F-111.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I have noticed that there are some high wing pilots that once they get their high wing plane, go right out and flip it upside down to try to be more like a low wing. I think that says something right there! :yes::D

As EdFred would say " Nice picture of your strut" :rofl:

Seriously that is a nice shot of the mountains, so beautiful up there.

HAHA. I was in fact going to type that, except I was out flying and saw you filled in well for me. :D

Really no need to respond to LoxaBagels' misinformed posts - he's apparently been banned.

I had him on ignore almost immediately since I knew it was most likely CTLSi again.

As EdFred would say " Nice picture of your strut" :rofl:

Seriously that is a nice shot of the mountains, so beautiful up there.
Yup.... I NEED that C177 I've been looking at to improve my photography skills. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I've never been able to make up my mind...I've owned two low wing, two high wing and a biplane. I've flown both high and low wing HP. Highest horsepower for me personally was a mid-wing with 3500hp in a B-25. ;)

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Back