Hey mogas user, how do you get your gas to the field?

BellyUpFish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Backtothesand
You doing the ole' 5 gallon can routine or something else?

Prepare to be in awe of sheer awesome awesomeness!

http://csobeech.com/FuelTransferSystem.html

30 minutes for 30 gallons? Not sure if I could stand around watching that process.

I use 5-gallon cans with jiggle-siphon hoses.

It takes 3-5 minutes per can, and I can have cans going on both wings. It keeps me busy moving the ladder back and forth from each wing as each can siphons dry.

The siphon has removed any spilling in the process.

suck-gas-1.jpg

Two 2.5 gallon tanks (about an hour's worth of gas), carried in a plastic milk crate in the back of the hatchback.

If I think about it, I take the cans home then fill up on the way to the airport next time.

Ron Wanttaja

15.5 gal stainless beer kegs with a diaphragm fuel pump.

Seriously, works really well

I don't use auto gas but do keep a 55 gallon drum of 100LL in my hangar for my Cub.
If you have a truck or trailer it is pretty easy to deal with. Fill the drum with gas and when you are ready to unload lay the drum over in its side. Use a motorcycle ramp and roll the drum down and into the hangar. Stand the drum back up and use one of the plastic pumps to transfer into a jug. One small person can do this... You can even buy a fancy 110V pump. I only use about 5 gallons on each flight in the Cub so it last a good while. I actually built a drum dolly with wheels and push it over to the pump at the airport for refills.
I get new 55 gallon drums for $25 each and pumps for $12

bc0e6ba52baff2b334decbbde41a9d19.jpg

100 gallon fuel tank. 75' of hose as I use it for the boat also. Now it's all under a topper now with a solar vent in topper to continually vent air out. Tank is sealed and vent is run out under pickup, so no venting of fumes into topper.

Auto shut off nozzle, digital flow meter, 15gpm pump, added see though water block filter. About $1500 worth but given between the boat, toys and plane I pump about 2000 galllons a year it really saves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an ethanol free gas pump near my house. I just pick up some on the way to the airport and supplement with 100LL if necessary.

I have mixed 50/50 (approximate) with 100LL and 5 gallon cans.

Remember you should ALWAYS test EVERY CAN for ethanol, and its not hard to do either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4lzrxZ_fM8

Not impressed with his "experiment", but...

While I run E-10 all the time, I have a Rotax engine and AUTOMOBILE GRADE FUEL LINES.

A buddy ran E-10 in his Kitfox that he insisted on building with "aviation grade" components (this was a few years ago). Worked fine until he had an engine failure on takeoff one day - turns out that the E-10 had caused the inside of the fuel lines to swell enough to restrict the fuel flow so it couldn't sustain full power.

My understanding is that newer fuel hose is more resistant, but personally, I would avoid the E if I had a type certificated aircraft - and not just because of the limitations in the paperwork.

(Sorry, I don't recall all the exact grades of fuel hoses involved.)

I've carried a 100 gallon tank in my pickups for 25 years but I carry 100LL. I never liked using a fuel truck when I was on floats and that habit has stuck with me on wheels. It isn't unusual for me to dispense 5 or 10 gallons and that's easier/quicker to do for myself.

Ours is $3.64 on the field.

I pay $2.19 at gas station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFQ is currently 2.98, nearest station with mogas is about 30miles, so unless i'm buying a lot, its a wash.

Fly to KGIF 10 minutes away, gives me another excuse to fly.

Cheers

Three five gallon cans does it for me. Oh and a fuel strainer.

I drive past my UL source on the way to the hangar. Makes things really convenient. While traveling I just settle on using the blue stuff.

There is an ethanol free gas pump near my house. I just pick up some on the way to the airport and supplement with 100LL if necessary.

I'm in Indy, too. Where do you get your ethanol free gas?

Today 87 ethanol-free is under $2 yet 100LL on field is still $5.75....

There was $4 100LL about 65 miles to the north, three years ago when car gas was pushing $3.

5-gallon cans with illegal improved pouring spouts.

Rich

5-gallon cans with illegal improved pouring spouts.

Rich

An old timer friend said to me one time when we were talking about pesticides.

"Illegal now so you know it worked." :yes::mad2:

I wish it was legal for stations to sell ethanol free gas in this county. Only race shops have it and they price it higher than avgas.

brian];2007399 said:
Three five gallon cans does it for me. Oh and a fuel strainer.

I drive past my UL source on the way to the hangar. Makes things really convenient. While traveling I just settle on using the blue stuff.

What sort of strainer are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post-6-0-95618300-1376752006.jpg

13 gal/min

That's pretty slick. Harbor freight trailer?

Do you have the required DOT HAZMAT training for carrying fuel in containers over 8 gallons? If you have not, have you ever received any flack from the police about carrying more than the DOT allowable amount?

Do you have the required DOT HAZMAT training for carrying fuel in containers over 8 gallons? If you have not, have you ever received any flack from the police about carrying more than the DOT allowable amount?

Thus why some folks use 15.5Gal beer kegs.

USDOT Commercial bulk fuel regs kick in at 120 gallons or more. Under that a private guy doesn't need placards or hazmat CDL in most states. Many bulk facilities overlook the tank size and will fill it without proper credentials but not all. I had to sell my 135 gallon tank and get one under 120 to get it filled. The tank is not approved for gasoline and in a private truck it isn't important. Even at the picky bulk facility.

It was 10 years ago so memory is hazy. We went to the CA Hwy Patrol and they advised us we could carry the gas in open buckets if we wanted. They sold us a big book of Regs and it has never been an issue.

Five 5 gal cans and a syphon hose and a Mr. filter. I put the cans on a 13 qt tupperware tub so the bottom is above the filter. The tub also holds the syphon, filter and rubber gloves between fills.

Last edited:
I pee MoGas. Comes in useful sometimes. Haha.

Actually we have a trailer similar to others posted above. We've done the math and it's not worth bothering to drive the 40 mile round trip to the only place we can buy mogas to bother with it much.

Built a rig that goes in the back of my PU.....

Cheap... easy, and has saved me THOUSANDS over the years,,,

Ps...

POA now doesn't let me post pics..:confused::confused::confused::confused:.....:rolleyes:

Back