Hey mogas user, how do you get your gas to the field?

USDOT Commercial bulk fuel regs kick in at 120 gallons or more. Under that a private guy doesn't need placards or hazmat CDL in most states. Many bulk facilities overlook the tank size and will fill it without proper credentials but not all. I had to sell my 135 gallon tank and get one under 120 to get it filled. The tank is not approved for gasoline and in a private truck it isn't important. Even at the picky bulk facility.

That's good to know. I had no idea you couldn't just carry what you wanted.

Came across this the other night while researching.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs144p2_043004.pdf

Built a rig that goes in the back of my PU.....

Cheap... easy, and has saved me THOUSANDS over the years,,,

Ps...

POA now doesn't let me post pics..:confused::confused::confused::confused:.....:rolleyes:

Yeah, me either. I posted a question in the support forum but I haven't seen a response yet.

Check your state laws, too. Some states have stricter requirements.

Rich

Meh.. Not too worried about it. If it'll pass in Cali, I'm scott free in Alabama. :)

What about static?

For those who said they use gas cans such as the 5 gallon gas can, is a lack of ground strap a concern with 100ll? Is the plastic gas can more of a concern than a metal gas can?

We use the 'VP Racing Jugs' with the optional spout. They hold close to 6 gallons, vs. the advertised 5. Only 'race fuel' gas cans are allowed to be sold without the new style spouts.

31W5Sq1VgsL.jpg

I found the best deals for them on eBay.

The plastic valves which some vendors offer for them are crap. I replaced ours with one with a lever from Home Depot. That way I can comfortable lay the gas can on the wing, insert the spout into the tank and then simply open the valve. It takes around 2 - 3 minutes to empty them.

Understand how static charges build up and how to avoid / safely discharge them.

We use the 'VP Racing Jugs' with the optional spout.

I do the same exact thing. I put the jug on a towel, so not to scratch the paint. Crack the air valve to let it flow. Continue preflighting for a couple of minutes. Put the next one on. Continue preflighting, etc. Easy. No pumps, no cables, no trailers, no siphon pumps needed. Easy as pie.

I get my workout of the day in lifting 30 lbs of gas at a time, too. :)

Well, I wound up going the VP Racing fuel cans and a Mr. Funnel for filtering..

There used to be a gas station on the highway in Afton Wyoming where you could taxi up to the pumps from the airport and fill up on mogas. No longer there.

A trailer with a pump is the setup, at about $1500 or so for the trailer, tank and pump. Some just fill up their vehicle and pump it out of their vehicle's tanks.

I use five 2.5 gallon No-Spill gas cans to haul 91 octane E10 unleaded to my hangar (for a Rotax). I fill each can at the pump through a Mr. Funnel so that I can ensure clean gas goes into each container and, thusly, my plane. Using the smaller cans makes them easier to handle while fueling my high-wing plane.

I'd been warned not to use the No-Spill cans because they were too slow, but I don't find that to be much of an issue. They may be a bit slower, but it's easy to fuel my plane without spilling a drop.

The plastic valves which some vendors offer for them are crap. I replaced ours with one with a lever from Home Depot. That way I can comfortable lay the gas can on the wing, insert the spout into the tank and then simply open the valve. It takes around 2 - 3 minutes to empty them.

Hey German Guy -

Any chance you can post up a picture of your setup in action? I'd be interested to see both the valve that you got and how you position the can to fill the tanks.

I have a couple of different can types in my mogas setup. I much prefer the VPs for filling and hauling, but have not found a good way to use them to fill the tanks. Instead, I've been transferring to a 5 gallon No Spill can to actually fuel the plane.

Thanks,

Jim

Man, this Mr. Funnel is no joke. Pretty impressive.

Man, this Mr. Funnel is no joke. Pretty impressive.

Indeed impressive but likely a solution looking for a problem. I've easily run over 10,000 gallons of MoGas thru my 182 and have never sumped water.

Evah...

BTW, youse guys are way over thinking this. A 5 gallon gas can, a funnel and a towel are all I've ever needed. Just gently tip the five gallon can over into the funnel. Rarely ever spill even a drop. In the winter time, when it's dry and static can be an issue, I moisten the towel and make sure it stays in contact with the gas can, the funnel, and the filler neck.

IMG_20160501_082508519.jpg

Indeed impressive but likely a solution looking for a problem. I've easily run over 10,000 gallons of MoGas thru my 182 and have never sumped water.
Mr. Funnel saved a friend of mine, once. Don't remember how hit happened, but he was using cans to fill his Aeronca and one had a lot of water. As advertised the funnel stopped the flow.

Ron Wanttaja

BTW, youse guys are way over thinking this. A 5 gallon gas can, a funnel and a towel are all I've ever needed. Just gently tip the five gallon can over into the funnel. Rarely ever spill even a drop. In the winter time, when it's dry and static can be an issue, I moisten the towel and make sure it stays in contact with the gas can, the funnel, and the filler neck.

View attachment 45236

Like the simplicity, but not practical for my Luscombe. I am buying a super siphon this week.

Some great ideas here.

Not to thread hi-jack, but how much fuel you guys storing in your hangar? Went to SS the other day and the tank was down so no gas on field until the pump truck guys come in. I am thinking I should store come in the hangar so I won't have this problem in the future. 5 or 6 gallon cans seems like a lot of work. Cheap and convenient no doubt about that.

Back to the thread, the trailer with two 55 steel drums and the pump looks to be a cheap option. Keep 100 gallons in the hangar - always prepared.

Evah...

I needed a funnel, figured I'd give this a shot, if the $25 it cost me breaks me, I'm in the wrong hobby. ;)

A 5gpm funnel at Autozone would have cost me what, $10? We'll chalk the extra $15 for peace of mind.. ;)

BTW, youse guys are way over thinking this. A 5 gallon gas can, a funnel and a towel are all I've ever needed. Just gently tip the five gallon can over into the funnel.

I figured the 5 gallon jugs were the best route for now. The VP cans via eBay were cheaper than Blitz cans so I grabbed them.

I don't have rag for the wing, I'll have to tell the wife to grab a new one and I'll steal an old one from the house.

Do you use food dye to sample all your fuel to check for ethanol?

Do you use food dye to sample all your fuel to check for ethanol?

No, I simply buy a glass rain gage that looks like a test tube. The ones available around here go up to 5". Put 1" of water on the bottom, 4" of gas on top of it. Cork it, shake it up, and if it has ethanol the water level will rise because the ethanol goes from the gas into the water. Around here it's 10% ethanol so the water will rise to 1.4". It only takes 5 seconds or so to settle out.

It's very simple and doesn't require a bunch of BS supplies that the con artists are quite willing to sell you.

No fuel in the hangar, per my lease. :-(

I had a former landlord (erectatube) try to include that in my lease when I was based at KSGF. It essentially said "no fuel may be stored in the hangar."

I lined thru it, initialed it, and sent it back to them. Of course this elicited a phone call.

I told them that I'm not draining my 182's tanks everytime I go to put it away. :)

They let it ride.

I had a former landlord (erectatube) try to include that in my lease when I was based at KSGF. It essentially said "no fuel may be stored in the hangar."

I lined thru it, initialed it, and sent it back to them. Of course this elicited a phone call.

I told them that I'm not draining my 182's tanks everytime I go to put it away. :)

They let it ride.

I'll try that next year at renewal, but I'm sure they know my plane is stored with gas in the tank. lol

My lease also excludes welding, cutting and painting!

Back