Hey FAA, You Haven't Called It a BFR for Awhile Now.

retpd2001

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
retpd2001
FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
You have asked us to notify you when a webinar is scheduled that meets your criteria. The following webinar may be of interest to you:

"Inside View to a Flight Review"
Topic: Biennial flight review requirements, what pilot can expect from his or her flight review, and how a pilot can prepare.
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 11:00 Mountain Daylight Time (10:00 PDT, 12:00 CDT, 13:00 EDT, 07:00 HST, 09:00 AKDT, 10:00 Arizona, 17:00 GMT)

Oops, hadn't seen that, I would delete the post if I could figure that out.

And it might just possibly be a FAASTeam representative who made the error and not an actual FAA employee. Though the responsible FAASTeam Manager should probably have reviewed and caught it. Freakin imperfect people. I hate them.

If it's required every two years, isn't it by definition 'biennial'? ;)
The FAA says it wants to get rid of the term because of a concern over implying that recurrent training is something only to be considered once every two years (I get a flight review at least ever year, sometimes more than that).

But if you want to really be technical on the semantics, the term "biennial" was never completely accurate. As you point out, "biennial" means required every two years. Technically, a flight review is not required "every" two years. One is required within the two years (24 calendar months actually, but leave that aside) prior to acting as pilot in command of an aircraft. You can go decades without getting a flight review and your pilot certificate is stall valid. You can act as SIC on and aircraft requiring two pilots. You can act as a safety pilot (though not as PIC). You can exercise every privilege associated with your pilot certificate except acting as PIC. Heck, a CFI can teach a pilot who can act as PIC without ever getting a flight review again. The, of course, you can delay your flight review a few days into the next month and gain a whole 'nother month - mre thna 2 years each time.

OTOH, since by sheer coincidence, my license plate starts with BFR, I'm more than happy to tell people it's because I'm a flight instructor.

Since it's 24 calendar months, we should probably call them icosikaitetramensielle reviews.

(though also not technically correct since it's the end of the month, not the date the review was done)

Back