He's got his priorities straight

Good for him.

When I was in college, I had a professor tell me that she would fail me if I missed class for my grandmother's funeral.

Good for him.

When I was in college, I had a professor tell me that she would fail me if I missed class for my grandmother's funeral.

There was once a big stink here in Philly because a particular Federal Judge refused to grant a continuance so an attorney could sit shivia for his deceased parent.

Good for him.

I would have looked at that professor and told her that She and I would be speaking about that later in the Ombudmands office after the funeral.

Good for him. I'm glad he took a stand and put family first.

I would have looked at that professor and told her that She and I would be speaking about that later in the Ombudmands office after the funeral.

I'd have probably responded "Try it."

A southern community would turn on a University that condoned such a thing.

I'd have probably responded "Try it."

A southern community would turn on a University that condoned such a thing.

So.... I get a by on the semester if my roommate commits sucide due to the emotinal distress but I can't go to my grandmother's funneral without failing? Talk about emotinal distress!

The saying I follow: "Weddings are optional, funerals are mandatory." Back in April I had the extreme displeasure of being friends with one of the people killed at Virginia Tech. I told my boss I was going to the funeral, and he responded "I understand, you want to go to this girl's funeral." I responded back in a very harsh tone, "No, I AM going to my friend's funeral. There is a big difference."

When my grandmother died in Feburary of this year, it took me 8 hours to make a normally 3 hour trip - that was when Pennsylvania shut down the interstates because of snow (the first time, it happened again a few weeks later). However, I was not about to miss the funeral. I gave the eulogy. The theme was "perseverance" (i.e. stubbornness :) ) a trait that my grandmother and I share.

This has become a big fad, though, for people to say funerals are not an acceptable excuse for missing school or work, especially school. Everyone I know has given their superiors the finger in such situations, but I find it insane that people actually think that this is acceptable behavior. I may not have liked my grandmother very much, but no force could stop me from going to her funeral, and would never tell anyone I supervised that was an unacceptable reason for time off.

I was glad to see the Falcons and the NFL to take a stand on Vick in favor of moral and professional standards. But, this goes entirely the opposite direction. Does anyone think a coach or other team official would be penalized for tending to their family?

I hope Williamson appeals to the NFL and for once the player's union stands up for a true value as opposed to defending the likes of Vick.

With respect to every expressed opinion re the thread, I recently found myself in a very difficult position. The deceased had been my neighbor(back home), my Sunday School Superintendent, Assistant Scoutmaster. His wife grew up 2 houses away from my father. He and his wife were my original singing partners in church music(I was 10 years old on the first occasion). The memorial service was "to be announced," because there were family members to come from states as far as California. I was asked(honored) to be a soloist as I had been at his 80+ surprise birthday party, several months earlier.

The date became set for a Tuesday night. Perfect! I was in "Hell Week," the week preceding the opening of a big musical production, and Tuesday was to be an off night.
Then it fell apart. Because grandchildren could only arrive on Wednesday from distant states the service was set for Thursday evening. No joy!

Thursday night would be final dress rehearsal for Friday opening night. That's when every nuance, whether speech, blocking, costume, music, dance, stage crew would be re-finessed, in so many words the last chance. When every actor is reliant on each other's speech, action, timing, and delivery there's no way I as a principal role could say to the cast, "I can't be there Thursday night."
The service was so attended that adjacent rooms had to be utilized for the overflow. I missed seeing 60 years of friends and acquaintances from far and wide. And worst of all I missed -------------- Walter. I only hope he missed me. I'll not forget.

HR

Last edited:
And worst of all I missed -------------- Walter. I only hope he missed me. I'll not forget.

HR

Harley, sorry to hear you missed the funeral. I know the feeling.

My father died when I was 11 and while growing up, my best friends father stood in and tried to give me direction. Many years later when I had just started a new consulting job, I found out my friend's father had died. Bad thing was I found out the evening after the funeral. I sure wish I could have attended to pay my respects. Guess this happens for a reason because I hadn't worked in 4 month and there was no way I could have gotten back to the midwest from CT but I wish I would have been given the opportunity to decide on my own.

Allan

Good for him. Definitely has his priorities straight. Fortunately, my boss didn't even hesitate when I said I needed to take some time to help Mom get through the wait while Dad was in surgery. But, he had been through this very thing himself and knew what it was like.

The NFL should do what is right and rescind that fine.

Some years ago a more senior, oriental partner was called upon by his extended family in a time of crisis. He tried to negotiate with the partners who had the next week off, but there were no takers. "He said, then prepare to work without me. I would rather be fired than not appear where I am required by my mother".

He left immediately. Good for him!

Sometimes circumstances make it such that you choose not to attend or are unable to attend - especially when you find out after the funeral takes place. I think the point is that those around you should not tell you that you can't go. That is a decision for you to make.

Back