Herlong(KHEG) to Rock Hill/York County Airport(RKH)

J29172

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JDN29
Is there an app to calculate fuel/distance/cost for this? For the distance, how long would it take a new pilot to fly? Is this what would be referred to as cross country flying? This would be flown in a Cessna 172.

Thank you!

Skyvector and Flightplan are both good options. I happen to have Garmin Pilot on my iPad and fly a 180hp upgraded 172. KHEG to KUZA (Rock Hill) shows just over 2.5 hours. But that is direct and there are some restricted areas on that route that you may have to fly around along with some Class C space you may want to go over or around. Either way, you are under 3hrs in a 172, easy single hop.

Couldn't find RKH but HEG- KUZA would be 1hour 43 minutes at 175KIAS (that's what I file) and 28 gallons (burning 17 per hour I use) If you are around HEG today let me know I'll be moving one plane over to Craig and one back over the HEG

As you go through this exercise, keep in mind the weather bands that routinely pass through the north Florida/south Georgia areas and make sure you have weather detection covered. It gets pretty dynamic, so I would recommend a stormscope in addition to the streamed weather products. It gets very bumpy, and occasionally very dicey on the route you are planning.

Are you a student pilot? If so, start with a sectional chart and a plotter. The rest is just basic math.

Be aware, too, that KUZA is below the CLT Bravo shelf, but coming from the south it’s less an issue...and CLT controllers are cool.
Especially on weekends KDCM is busy with skydivers, but CLT generally knows what they’re up to down there.

As you go through this exercise, keep in mind the weather bands that routinely pass through the north Florida/south Georgia areas and make sure you have weather detection covered. It gets pretty dynamic, so I would recommend a stormscope in addition to the streamed weather products. It gets very bumpy, and occasionally very dicey on the route you are planning.
Yes, I experienced just that last year. The military space was activated and the winds were very strong so it took us longer to get there.

Skyvector and Flightplan are both good options. I happen to have Garmin Pilot on my iPad and fly a 180hp upgraded 172. KHEG to KUZA (Rock Hill) shows just over 2.5 hours. But that is direct and there are some restricted areas on that route that you may have to fly around along with some Class C space you may want to go over or around. Either way, you are under 3hrs in a 172, easy single hop.
Yes, I pulled that offline. It is KUZA :) Thank you! I was trying these apps and I guess I was unsure of what to put in there to get all of that information. I downloaded the trial of Garmin Pilot today but haven't had a chance to look at it. So, with the fuel cost and the calculation you've given, it will still be less on a round trip in the 172 than what I pay for my son to fly unaccompanied. Hopefully, it won't take too long to learn everything!

If a student pilot, might not want to try it today...
https://www.aviationweather.gov/satellite/visplot
I won't be doing this flight until I am 100% ready. It'll take a few steps. It is raining here in JAX anyway. I probably won't fly much in the winter months even when I do get the plane. Flying from MSP to CLT on the airlines was enough of a winter experience for me :)

Yes, I experienced just that last year. The military space was activated and the winds were very strong so it took us longer to get there.
Not just longer to get there. Also think of puking passengers from the up/downdrafts and outright scrubbed flights.

I won't be doing this flight until I am 100% ready. It'll take a few steps. It is raining here in JAX anyway. I probably won't fly much in the winter months even when I do get the plane. Flying from MSP to CLT on the airlines was enough of a winter experience for me :)
Winter time is the best time to fly in JAX!! WE actually get decent performance!

Agree. I fly out of KHEG and winter time in Florida is great weather flying most of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, I may have to reconsider :) I have only flown in and out once and it was during October with very heavy winds.

Back