Here goes nuthin'!

Fast n' Furious

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iJustLanded
Well.....this should be interesting. Tomorrow I drop the Mooney off for the start of it's well deserved Dr. 90210-esqe makeover. It's gonna be new paint, interior, and while she has her clothes off.....an annual. As soon as I can figure out where I put the current pictures of the airplane I'll post 'em up and add others as the refurb (or me entering rehab) moves along. Anyone got any extra money hanging around? :rolleyes:

Fast n' Furious said:
Well.....this should be interesting. Tomorrow I drop the Mooney off for the start of it's well deserved Dr. 90210-esqe makeover. It's gonna be new paint, interior, and while she has her clothes off.....an annual. As soon as I can figure out where I put the current pictures of the airplane I'll post 'em up and add others as the refurb (or me entering rehab) moves along. Anyone got any extra money hanging around? :rolleyes:
Can't wait to see those pictures. I'll bet your Mooney gives the King Air a run for the money (at least in cool factor)!

But John...what if she runs off with the mechanic? No, no...don't worry. I'm sure everything will be fine. And very inexpensive. Really.

:D

Out of curiousity, and feel free to tell me "None of your business", what kind of cost is the paint and interior work?

I don't know about the Mooney, but I've been quoted $9-12k for paint and another 3k for interior on a warrior. Both depend on the quality and quantity of the material used.
I had a car custom painted (Cadallac White Pearl) for about $1,500. Most cars would be half that. The pearl is a three stage paint, but it looks marvelous.

I've been very remiss in keeping the hushed masses abreast of how things are going with my airplane as we make our way through it's first annual, new paint and interior.
The annual had some surprises but then again I didn't buy a new airplane. A few airframe airworthiness items and a few engine too but all in all, nothing REALLY scary. As my mechanic says....nuthin' that can be solved with money big guy. Tim's a real hoot and one hell of a wrench.
The interior has been all redone and the seats reupholstered to accent the new carpets, side inserts, and seat belts. All in all I think the finished item will look pretty cool. Hey, we didn't have to replace the headliner! Woo hoo!
The airplane has been stripped, cleaned, etched and primed. It's rather strange to see an airplane in a paint booth without a tail and flight controls that wasn't somehow involved in a wreck. The two coats of arctic white base should be on by tomorrow and then it's time to lay out the stripes and aircraft registration numbers. Those should be wrapped up by the end of the week. She'll be decked out in a 2006 Mooney Ovation paint scheme using three shades of metallic blue on white.
Next week the interior goes back in and the annual will be completed barring any unforseen "oh oh's". Tactically, it's probably a good idea to leave one little thing to be done to get the sign off in August to take advantage of the full years sign off. Or not, dunno.
I've got some pictures of all the stages but I'm not computer savvy enough to post them. I will definately get a bunch of shots of the finished product up on the board. Is it too late to hold a bake sale?

We have the sort of home where "no cookie is left behind". Maybe we can whip up some Whoopie Pies or something for ya. Those thin mints are good though, huh?

Zoom Zoom Mooney. Can you wait till August ( not to far away) to get it reweighed and will that count. You are gonna get it reweighed right?

Yup. As much as we've done this go around the re-weigh was part of the plan from Day 1. I think she might gain a little weight.

gkainz said:
If a man speaks and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong? :D

My wife says "yes". Especially after I read the last few posts on this thread to her.

And, no, I didn't get a black eye. :p

I get the M20K back next week. Here's some photos of the process. I'm a really happy camper about the way she's come out. Enjoy!

Attachments

• N252MB rt side.JPG
    N252MB rt side.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 36
  • white3.JPG
    white3.JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 37
  • finalprep2.JPG
    finalprep2.JPG
    458.9 KB · Views: 53
  • interior1.JPG
    interior1.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 44
Awsome paint job. Exactly what i was going to do with mine, cept i was going to extend the blue on the bottom to the wings, upto the fuel caps. Seats look nice too John, can u send me some pics when its all back together?

You bet! I'll take a bunch once I get her home and post 'em up for your viewing enjoyment. The bake sale is underway here.....PayPal is accepted!

Lookin' good, John! (The airplane that is...:p) Be sure to upload the "after" pictures so we can all see how beautiful the paint job really is.

Jason

Even if she's gained a few pounds she carries it well. :yes:

that is pretty.
Sounds like it was done on-schedule, was it also on-budget? If so, hang onto those guys.

John:

Looks great. Did I miss where you are having the work done?

What's the Oklahoma map on the Avitor?

Sorry, I've been a little out of touch.

Aloha,

Dave

Let'sgoflying! said:
that is pretty.
Sounds like it was done on-schedule, was it also on-budget? If so, hang onto those guys.

Dave,
Pretty much on both counts. Been working with these folks (Keyson Airways at Nashua, NH) since 1999. I live in New Jersey...they are in New Hampshire...the professionalism and honest service is well worth the trip. Yes, even if I had to pay sales tax.
John

Fast n' Furious said:
I get the M20K back next week. Here's some photos of the process. I'm a really happy camper about the way she's come out. Enjoy!

I love the paint scheme... perfect blue for an airplane.

Dave Siciliano said:
John:

Looks great. Did I miss where you are having the work done?

What's the Oklahoma map on the Avitor?

Sorry, I've been a little out of touch.

Aloha,

Dave
Dave,
The fine folks at Keyson Airways at Nashua, NH are doing the work. I'm very pleased on all counts. The OKC map? Hmmmmmm, watch this space!
Mahalo,
John

Troy Whistman said:
I love the paint scheme... perfect blue for an airplane.
Troy,
I wish I could claim creative credit for it but I can't. That is a standard issue 2006 Ovation paint scheme with colors right out of the factory playbook. My paint is scaled a bit differently than the Ovation because the body on a 252 is about two feet shorter but I think it reproduced really well. Looking forward to getting her home.
John

Absolutely first class John. Nothing like a revitalized Mooney!

Lance F said:
Absolutely first class John. Nothing like a revitalized Mooney!
Thanks Lance. I think a great plane should look good too. It more than makes up for my lack of technique! :hairraise:

Hmmmmmm. I wonder if this could be the start of the POA 10 sexiest airplane poll? Piper Tri Pacer with the overinflated nose wheel? That's hot! Naw!;)

So, John... once you get her home, the first trip will be out to IPT to give me a ride! right?

Missa:blowingkisses:

I would say that that trip is firmly in the top ten things that I have to do once I get the airplane home. I'm still working on a coherent order for the top ten but you're in there. So much pressure.....so little time.

Goody! I look forward to it! I would offer to make you dinner, but the kitchen is still MIA, so I'll just take you out for really GOOD ice cream!

Melissa

Just got some more pictures. Thought I'd share. The cowling is off for the install of some stainless steel fasteners. Friday is checkout and pickup day.

Attachments

• MVC-028F.JPG
    MVC-028F.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 27
  • MVC-030F.JPG
    MVC-030F.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 26
  • MVC-033F.JPG
    MVC-033F.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 22
  • MVC-038F.JPG
    MVC-038F.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 24
Oh, that's looking very nice!

How much longer?

Well, the Mooney is back in New Jersey. Picked it up yesterday and after a pretty extensive shakedown with the paint, interior and maintenance folks off I went. I'm thrilled with the way things went and am happy to say that the paint and interior work actually came in under quote. The annual went well with only a few surprizes. Again. it wasn't a new airplane when I bought it but it's pretty close now. The airplane even came out of the shop rigged properly....it flies straight! Here's my plug for the folks who did the work....if you are looking for first class service at a fair price....Keyson Airways at 800-247-0102. Did I mention they are in tax free New Hampshire?:D

Back