Help with training video

KRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
KRyan
I've been given a task to come up with equipment and software to make training videos. The videos would be segmented in to short segments of perhaps 5-10 minutes each, and be incorporated into a Zoom meeting.

The training is assembly/disassembly - Basically what we are envisioning is we go thru an assembly process via video, and at the end of the video allow the students to ask questions about what they just saw, perhaps replaying portions of the video for them etc., and then we would move on to the next step. It would be "augmented" video training - pre-recorded video with a live instructor available.

I don't think I'm going to need any fancy software that has special effects or anything like that. It would be pretty basic stuff - just to edit out the parts where the tech drops a wrench, cusses, etc. I also want software that's easy to learn and use. This is simply a means to an end, as many of the people that we normally train cannot travel due to COVID, so I don't need complicated stuff. This is more or less a GIT-ER-DUN kinda thing.

Also need a camera - I was thinking a GoPro would get the job done, and it also sounds like an external mic might be an advantage.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? Any software and/or equipment recommendations?

If you want free, OpenShot is open source. Imagine if the Linux folks decided to write a video editor and this is kinda what it'd look like.

Why a gopro?

I use a Cannon Powershot (I think, don't have it handy) - records 1080 video, optical zoom, LCD screen, not expensive. The only thing it lacks is an external mic input. Even your phone should be able to capture decent video.

Openshot works fine for simple edits.

Bryan - I take it that's the software you use? BTW, your videos are immensely popular here at my workplace.

I have used filmora stuff in the past it’s pretty good. Currently I use powerdirctor and it works really well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maybe @write-stuff can chime in, they have a lot of training vids and whatnot. I can't imagine any of them are shot on a gopro but I could be wrong.

Bryan - I take it that's the software you use? BTW, your videos are immensely popular here at my workplace.

Thank you.

I used it early on but now I use Adobe Premier. It sucks that you have to rent it but it does everything.

I've used ShotCut which is an opensource editor for some really basic work projects I had to learn on the fly. Plenty of tutorials on youtube and I found it fairly easy to use.

If you are talking during the filming of the videos a lapel mic or directional mic will really give your videos that production level quality.

Lights - light things as good as you can. Nice bright LED lights with diffusers illuminating the parts really, really help for visual clarity.

I'm a PPro user as well, hate the monthly fee. But if you are gonna make money from all this you might consider switching to it later one one things have been established.

If you already have a DSLR that can do video, you can also use that and will have a way better imager than the action cameras. Just use the manual focus and lock it onto the assembly area so the AF doesn't hunt all over the place.

I'll start by saying I an NOT a videographer and mostly a "bare bones" type guy. I have made a couple of training videos over the years. One thing I found useful was to think of the video as if it were a comic strip. Each frame of a comic strip is a different picture with some text. So your video should appear as different views with narration over each view. Keep each view short, about 5 seconds or so before changing views, to keep your audience from getting bored. My cell phone has a pause feature and you may be able to use that to take several views live, moving between views with each shot. That way you don't have a lot of editing.

I once had (still in my closet?) a Sony video camera that used mini DVD disc's. That camcorder didn't have pause, but you could have a DVD player play the clips in sequential order... no editing and a seamless presentation for your audience. I once used it to create a training video on a D343 generator set. I thought it came out OK for a bare bones job.

Hope this helps

maybe @write-stuff can chime in, they have a lot of training vids and whatnot. I can't imagine any of them are shot on a gopro but I could be wrong.
We use prosumer-level cameras. Gopros are only used for airplane video. Now, having said that, the newer Gopros are pretty darned good! Even newer iPhones can produce some amazing footage. The downside to anything beyond a "real" camera is that with Gopros and the like, you don't have as much control over the settings.

There is also ShotCut which works on both Windows and Linux.
I should mention that the OpenShot license is like Linux, not that it only runs on Linux. OpenShot actually runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.

I should mention that the OpenShot license is like Linux, not that it only runs on Linux. OpenShot actually runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.
I knew that. I tried OpenShot on Windows. I liked it but it constantly crashed. I assume it has gotten better since then.

I knew that. I tried OpenShot on Windows. I liked it but it constantly crashed. I assume it has gotten better since then.

Constantly crashed for me last I tried about a year ago. This was both Mac and Windows.

@KRyan if you have an Apple computer the free iMovie program would do the trick for you. Also suggest a newer GoPro if you want an easy point and film good product.

Interesting. I've been using it on and off the past couple of years and haven't noticed any crashing.

Thank you for all your advice. I'm going to look into these suggestions. You all have been tremendously helpful!

Back