Help with analog fax on VOIP

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
AT&T just upgraded our phone lines from copper to fiber- optical and our analog fax stopped working. I’ve been to this rodeo before.

I’m looking for an analog fax to VOIP adapter. So far, I’ve only found a Patton Smart Node adapter, for ~$200. Amazon used to carry these adapters, but can’t find one on there now. At least one says it does, but answered questions says “no”.

I’ve found a multitude of fax services, so I don’t need help with those. My wife needs a fax for her business. Thanks

Obi202 with Google voice works for us with outbound fax. Haven't tried inbound. Ooma fax was less reliable for us.

Obi202 with Google voice works for us with outbound fax. Haven't tried inbound. Ooma fax was less reliable for us.
Great thanks. Reliablity is essential because neither my wife nor MIL are close to technically oriented.

Is your phone VOIP? Thanks

While I didn't use it for FAX, I had our house cordless phone plugged into an OBI device for a couple of years with zero problems. They seem pretty solid.

Is your phone VOIP? Thanks

Yes, the other line of the obi202 is house phone. 100% reliable over a couple years and a couple devices at different locations. The only gripe is related to Google voice. I was unable to port a long time phone number to Google voice, but OOMA did it no problem. I really like the voicemail transcription to email feature of Google voice.

I’m looking for an analog fax to VOIP adapter.
The difference maker is the CODEC that is used as transport once it's converted to IP. If it's an incompatible CODEC then the adapter won't matter.

Thanks all. I ordered an OBI200 yesterday and should get it tomorrow. I’ll let you know if it works.

It's the CODEC's mang, see what I'm sayin.

Faxes are very sensitive to echo and time delays, which is why they do not typically work very well over VOIP connections. There is a protocol that is designed to eliminate this problem, t38. The issue is that most carriers do not correctly and completely implement the t38 protocol. Most of them have ECM turned off, which means you can never be sure if your faxes went through or not. The only carrier that completely supports it is t38fax.com. I am not associated with them other than that I buy service from them. They support quite a range of devices including the OBI200 you ordered.

Source: I am the owner of a company that sends over 1m pages of faxes per month.

Back