Help me understand ATP requirements

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I'm 92.185% convinced that this is the route I wish to go. I have 1200 hours and most of the rest of the criteria met and that which I haven't met, I am churning through quickly.
The biggest criteria being that I have been ready to terminate my IT career for about 5 years now.

All of the companies I am close to qualified for state "ATP minimums" "ATP-R", "ATP ready"
Today I called an ATP test prep mill and they said "We won't endorse you, you have to get an endorsement from an ATP or CTP school in addition to our prep course"

I was thinking (I guess stupidly) that I would take a prep course, sit for a written, and then get my last few boxes ticked and start applying.
It sounds like I cannot take an ATP written exam without an endorsement but I can't get an endorsement from the test preppers And I am not in a position to enroll in school.

How do I become "ATP ready"?

FWIW, I lack 300 hours, a handful of night, and a handful of multi but I have options to knock all of this out by Q1 give or take of 24.
If I am reading correctly, I don't qualify for ATP-R because my bachelor's isn't aviation related.

I'm 92.185% convinced that this is the route I wish to go. I have 1200 hours and most of the rest of the criteria met and that which I haven't met, I am churning through quickly.
The biggest criteria being that I have been ready to terminate my IT career for about 5 years now.

All of the companies I am close to qualified for state "ATP minimums" "ATP-R", "ATP ready"
Today I called an ATP test prep mill and they said "We won't endorse you, you have to get an endorsement from an ATP or CTP school in addition to our prep course"

I was thinking (I guess stupidly) that I would take a prep course, sit for a written, and then get my last few boxes ticked and start applying.
It sounds like I cannot take an ATP written exam without an endorsement but I can't get an endorsement from the test preppers And I am not in a position to enroll in school.

How do I become "ATP ready"?

FWIW, I lack 300 hours, a handful of night, and a handful of multi but I have options to knock all of this out by Q1 give or take of 24.
If I am reading correctly, I don't qualify for ATP-R because my bachelor's isn't aviation related.
Are you in a position to go for a Part 135 sic gig? That might be the way to go...

Netjets is an option, or an airline like Contour

You must take an ATP-CTP course to take the ATP multiengine written test. I believe the course is usually 7 days. 4 days groundschool, 3 days sims. Note that the CTP course is not a written test preparation. You do that separately, e.g. Sheppard Air.

@SixPapaCharlie , the requirements to take the knowledge test are in 61.156. This is all a result of the Colgan crash and changed in about 2015-ish.

To be accurate, these rules only apply to the ATP Multi. You can take the knowledge test for ATP Single without doind the CTP course. But that's not going to help your career goals. And no, getting the ATP Single first and adding on the multi doesn't help, you still have to do the CTP course before the Multi.

Give me a call if you have any questions, I can walk you through it.

Are you in a position to go for a Part 135 sic gig? That might be the way to go...

Netjets is an option, or an airline like Contour
Net Jets is what got me thinking about this ATP stuff.

Screenshot_20230920_062917_Chrome.jpg

So I'll have to enroll in the ATP / CPT course, complete it, then take the written to satisfy the first requirement?

Some of the regionals just say ATP ready. I think they pay for it but I'm a little confused on how one becomes ATP ready. Maybe they just means hours.

You need the 1500 hours and all the other specific hour requirements (we know you’re over 21 years old) because you don’t meet any of the requirements to get the ATP at reduced hours. Then your options are get hired by someone who will pay for your ATP/CTP course or go do it on your own before you can take the written.

You can’t just go take the atp multi written anymore. You must do a ctp course first ($4-6k), and employer will pay for this normally, then you’ll do your written and you can do your atp checkride as part of your first type rating..

I went thru this as well recently, including leaving IT after 20+ years. Feel free to send me a pm.

Last edited:
One of my friends joined a regional about 1-1/2 or 2 years ago. I just asked him. He said most of the people in his initial training class at the Regional had NOT had the ATP-CTP training course (Flight Safety or equivalent). So most of the class was doing training for the multi ATP as well as the training for the jet type rating which included the ATP

My buddy did the ATP-CTP training class then took the written exam then took the multi ATP checkride, all of which he did prior to applying to a regional. His hours were just barely at the 1500 as required. He was then hired by a regional and went through their initial training program.

He said during initial regional training at the Regional, it was a big difference about the oral portion of the test. Less to study for the oral portion if you already have the ATP. But the practical portion of the checkride at the regional was almost the same. Just 2 or 3 maneuvers did not have to be done. But he said big difference on the oral - much easier going in to regional training with ATP already in place.

So. If you can get the ATP then it will almost certainly be beneficial for you. If not then you can find employers who will pay for that and wrap it into initial training.

The initial training is already tough so this does add more that you have to deal with during the airliner training program.

He said during initial regional training at the Regional, it was a big difference about the oral portion of the test. Less to study for the oral portion if you already have the ATP. But the practical portion of the checkride at the regional was almost the same. Just 2 or 3 maneauvers did not have to be done. But he said big difference on the oral - much easier going in to regional training with ATP already in place.
There are 5 oral tasks that apply to the initial multi ATP that are not required for a type rating…I.C through G, I believe. The flight portion is the same.

While most employers will probably pay for the CTP course and written if you’ve got the time, it would probably remove a good chunk of stress to already have the ATP when you’re trying to learn your first jet for a type rating.

Couple of Friends fly for NetJets and really like it. One was an Attorney prior to flying and the other has a Barnstorming Operation with a Travel-Air and other Biplanes he runs on off time.

If it were I, there's where I would be.

Nope…ATP certificate. less stuff on the oral if you’re already an ATP.
Ah, OK. I thought the way most people did this was to get the ATP written, then do the type-rating, the successful completion of which also completes the ATP.

- Martin

FWIW spoke to a few Verijet pilots. They both seemed pretty happy.

Ah, OK. I thought the way most people did this was to get the ATP written, then do the type-rating, the successful completion of which also completes the ATP.

- Martin
It does, and most do. I’m just saying that if you don’t want the additional pressure of the ATP Oral tasks along with your first jet type, you might have the ATP complete first.

I wouldn’t go out and pay for any of that hoping for a job. Make the man pickup the tab in exchange for your indentured servitude.

Last edited:
I didn’t notice the minimal extra questions to do the atp as part of my initial type.

I didn’t notice the minimal extra questions to do the atp as part of my initial type.
Most of the ones I check are so traumatized by going though a checklist that they probably don’t notice them either.

Ha.
Other than the two minutes to review the atp written results, it wasn’t even mentioned. I don’t think I was any more stressed because of it, since all types are to atp standards anyway.

Ha.
Other than the two minutes to review the atp written results, it wasn’t even mentioned. I don’t think I was any more stressed because of it, since all types are to atp standards anyway.
But not all types have the additional 5 oral tasks.

Fortunately, I think a lot of examiners treat those subjects with the same care as the CTP course instructors do. :eek:

Back