My insurance rates dropped by 80% when I moved from NJ to VA (same insurance company).

Years back, when I moved from Idaho to NY, my car insurance rates tripled. Just 6 years later, when I moved from NY to NJ, they tripled again. Same car. No tickets. And I had turned 25, which is when insurance rates for male drivers are supposed to drop significantly.

Last edited:
If you're talking about Superstorm Sandy, it had nothing to do with it. The mess there existed long before that. The problem is arcane insurance regulations unique to NJ that results in a third of the state being in a state-mismanaged insurance pool which is financed by surcharges on regular policies. My insurance rates dropped by 80% when I moved from NJ to VA (same insurance company).

Yep, similar for us with USAA. When calling USAA for policy info in NJ this was the process every time:

"Let me enter your address.....Oh! I see you are in NJ...let me transfer you to the NJ specific department"

Except the one time the first person looked at the rate and said "Wow, that can't be right! Oh, wait, I see you are in NJ. Let me transfer you...."

The 1st law of insurance is:

1. Insurance companies are not in business to pay claims.
Years ago I had a homeowner's claim disguised as a lesson in what a deductible actually is. The house was a more than 100-year-old Victorian with all of the original woodwork. When the copper piping was stolen out of the house - leaving substantial water damage, the adjuster quickly depreciated all of that original woodwork 99% and I paid $26000 out of pocket. The insurance paid a total of $9800 of that back to me after the $500 deductible was taken out of course.

Years back, when I moved from Idaho to NY, my car insurance rates tripled. Just 6 years later, when I moved from NY to NJ, they tripled again. Same car. No tickets. And I had turned 25, which is when insurance rates for male drivers are supposed to drop significantly.

What was the risk of your car or it’s parts being stolen in Idaho?

What was the risk of your car or it’s parts being stolen in Idaho?

Pretty low--it wasn't a truck. :)
But it's the liability portion of the coverage that drives costs, and the aforementioned state-mismanaged insurance pool which is financed by surcharges on regular policies only makes it worse.

Pretty low--it wasn't a truck. :)
But it's the liability portion of the coverage that drives costs, and the aforementioned state-mismanaged insurance pool which is financed by surcharges on regular policies only makes it worse.

I have been to New York and New Jersey have seen how those people drive. A lot of cars with the dents that they don’t even bother doing an accident report or insurance claim for.

Last edited:
Years ago I had a homeowner's claim disguised as a lesson in what a deductible actually is. The house was a more than 100-year-old Victorian with all of the original woodwork. When the copper piping was stolen out of the house - leaving substantial water damage, the adjuster quickly depreciated all of that original woodwork 99% and I paid $26000 out of pocket. The insurance paid a total of $9800 of that back to me after the $500 deductible was taken out of course.
You needed a better lawyer.

I've never had an aircraft or car inspected before acquiring insurance.. I've had my house inspected but that's it.
I've been buying insurance for over 30 years. Never had a company inspect me (health), my home, my car, my boat, my airplane. Fill out the forms, and the wonks say yes 95% of the time and no 5%... No idea why, only ever had a claim during a natural disaster, and my claim for a new roof and limited damages was minimal comparatively speaking.

Really? What car insurance company was that??? I've had a half dozen different car insurance carriers and none of them have ever done anything like that.
When I got full coverage for the ol' blue Pontiac, State Farm wanted pics. Due to it's age, and body style. Not old enough to be an antique/classic, and too old to be a late model car. But after seeing the pics, they insured it and apologized for the inconvenience. It's a well taken care of Parisienne, with only 400,000 miles on it, all original, except the oil, filter, and tires.

Back