help fill my holes

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
My DG is shot and my vac gauge has been reading low lately.

My phone (or eventually a 660) is usually covering the AI/DG. I don't like having broken stuff in the plane or useless stuff taking up weight. The plane is VFR.

Option 1. Fix the DG and keep a proper six pack.
Option 2. Disconnect the DG and placard it inop.
Option 3. Remove the DG and save some weight.
Option 4. Remove the DG and AI and save some more weight, but then I only have the T&B in case I need to keep the shiny side up.
Option 5. Remove the DG and replace the vac AI with an electric AI.

Options 4 & 5 allow for the removal of the venturis at some point down the road.

Not considering a 275/AV30/G5.

Last edited:

A G5 is pretty simple and foolproof.

Last edited:
Option 1 with an overhaul or swap for overhauled. Recently did that.

At the same time, have the vacuum hoses and filter(s) all replaced. That may well resolve the lo vac numbers. I did that too - not expensive, especially if done at the same time as the DG.

I would rip that old junk out and install twin GI-275's

This thread is a click bait… I had high hopes coming on this thread. Sigh

If considering275==false {
option1();
}
else {
getTwo275sTheyLookSoCoolInSixPackPanels();
}

Just sayin'

Edit - Also - Well done on the title! #innuendo

My answer depends on the terrain you fly in. If there are hills and such, then option 5. I've never needed a DG for VFR here in the northeast. Just pick a spot and fly to it. If I flew in Kansas, I probably wouldn't be good enough to do that. If you live where it's flat, I'd pick option 1.

Option 5. GI-275 offers the most future upgrade compatibility. AV-30 is probably most bang for the buck.

Do you really need a GI275 though? I think if I were in your shoes, I’d go option uno.

I would rip that old junk out and install twin GI-275's

Dude, its a VFR only plane! I'd either 1 or 5 depending on funds, G5's are not nearly as dear as the 275, and not needed if you're not concerned with interfacing with a legacy AP system. Also, if you go option 5, it sets you up to ditch the venturi system if/when the AI dies.

Oh, and BTW, I still have old junk and it works just fine TYVM.

Option 5. Remove the DG and replace the vac AI with an electric AI.
This is the option I always recommend with your type aircraft especially if the vacuum system is below par. The swap to electric is a minor alteration in most aircraft per a FAA policy letter. And not all electric AIs are digital, i.e., expensive. Given electric driven mechanical AIs have been around for decades you can swap to electric for a very reasonable cost. Just need to watch the core charges on your exchange of the vacuum indicator.

For those that don't know it's a Cessna 140. I don't think GI275's really fit that aesthetic, nor does installing two gauges that are worth 50% of the planes value. I recommend Option 4. The Aera has synthetic vision which will help you keep the shiny side up.

That being said I really like the look of venturis.

For those that don't know it's a Cessna 140. I don't think GI275's really fit that aesthetic, nor does installing two gauges that are worth 50% of the planes value. I recommend Option 4. The Aera has synthetic vision which will help you keep the shiny side up.

That being said I really like the look of venturis.

Yeah, GI-275 is overkill then.

IMO AV-30 is best bang for the buck. Works as both DG and AHI with the flip of a switch. Dirt simple to install and fits with the old school round gauge aesthetic.

IMO any VFR aircraft flown used for XC travel needs an AI. I don't mean $100 hamburger trips, but when you start taking multi state, multi day trips, you need to be prepared to wander into a cloud. IMO portable devices are inferior to hard mounted devices because they require pre-flight pilot action to install, power up, and calibrate. A G5 or AV-30 is cheap insurance.

It's a vfr 140, I'd vote for option 1, fix the DG, overhauls for only a few hundred bucks, minimal installation cost, and you're probably good for another 10-15 years.

Option 4. Its a VFR plane, keep it simple, save the weight.

Thanks. My general maintenance strategy has been "do it correctly", so I think I will go with option 1 + hose replacement, and drop in a GAE12 while they're in there, which I should have done in the first place.

Thanks. My general maintenance strategy has been "do it correctly", so I think I will go with option 1 + hose replacement, and drop in a GAE12 while they're in there, which I should have done in the first place.
It took a month, but they finally found an overhauled DG for me.
The GAE12 is nice.
They replaced a collapsed hose, but vac is still on the low side.

Last edited:
Back