Hello, this is 911, what is your emergency?

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Um, nice to have a system that cares. That has never cared in the times I needed them, which were very few and not much actually, but...

I go to do a hard reset on my Iphone. For whatever reason, the attempt at the hard reset results in a 911 call. Don't ask me why. I'm not the one that got the callback. I just got the screen message that I had notified emergency services. The cops aren't at my door yet, as to the time stamp of this post.

The other person, who has a Samsung phone, apparently DID get a callback from 911, after unknowingly dialling 911. By pressing a couple of commonly pressed buttons.

What the farging HELL is going on? I'm all about having one touch access to emergency services, but, guys, you THINK you could give me/us a heads up? Hmm?

Um, nice to have a system that cares. That has never cared in the times I needed them, which were very few and not much actually, but...

I go to do a hard reset on my Iphone. For whatever reason, the attempt at the hard reset results in a 911 call. Don't ask me why. I'm not the one that got the callback. I just got the screen message that I had notified emergency services. The cops aren't at my door yet, as to the time stamp of this post.

What the farging HELL is going on? I'm all about having one touch access to emergency services, but, guys, you THINK you could give me/us a heads up? Hmm?

What other person?

What are you, 12 year olds pranking the 911 call center?

I go to do a hard reset on my Iphone. For whatever reason, the attempt at the hard reset results in a 911 call. Don't ask me why.
OK, I won't ask you why. I'll just prattle on without asking: In settings, search for "Emergency SOS" and check if "Call with Hold" is turned on. If so, pressing and holding the side+volume buttons together for N-number of seconds will call 911 for you.

The Apple Watch has a fall detection feature. If it thinks you fell it will show an alert and if you don’t respond and tell it you’re fine it calls 911.

Apparently the motion of splitting logs will set it off. Hilariously enough I have actually fallen a few times and it’s never gone off.

I have had my phone call 911,without touching it. My IPHONE likes to make calls on it’s on so I make sure the phone page is not on the screen.

I have had my phone call 911,without touching it. My IPHONE likes to make calls on it’s on so I make sure the phone page is not on the screen.
Avoiding "butt-dialing" is why I try to make sure I always turn the phone off before I put it in my pocket. I also make it a habit to switch to the keypad screen before closing the phone app, for the same reason.

I have also found it necessary to make sure my thumb is nowhere near the Emergency button when I'm entering my pass code to open the phone.

The Apple Watch has a fall detection feature. If it thinks you fell it will show an alert and if you don’t respond and tell it you’re fine it calls 911.

Apparently the motion of splitting logs will set it off. Hilariously enough I have actually fallen a few times and it’s never gone off.

Mine has only triggered once, after a very minor collision and fall on a ski slope. I was lucky I realized it activated; then it was a race to get to get gloves off and parka sleeve pushed up fast enough to tell it I was fine.

I had mine in the cupholder of a golf cart. Apparently the size of the cupholder and the motion of the golf cart held the requisite "Call 911" buttons. Phone started sounding like an air raid siren and the screen announced calling emergency services. Couldn't figure out how to shut it off and got a call from the local sheriff. Took a while to convince her not to send ambulance or SWAT team to the 4th hole.

My father in law set his off once grabbing for something about to fall off the table. I think the trigger is rapid speed followed by a sudden stop.

Last edited:
The phone didn't USED to call 911 when pressing the side buttons. Oh, and to top it off, my phone SCREAMED at me, full volume, even though I had the hard mute button on silence, only to find a couple of EAS messages appear on lock screen stating that a test had been conducted.

I've gotten EAS messages before. And they are useless. They disappear once you unlock the screen so if you didn't read it carefully, you wouldn't know what it said. And you can't pull it up later if you needed something vital like a license plate number.

Had my Samsung Note somehow call 911 while I was at the shooting range. Saw a missed call (local number) and decided to call it back after I saw the recent phone call list. Luckily they were cool and had decided it wasn't an emergency despite hearing copious amounts of 9mm gunfire lol.

I had mine in the cupholder of a golf cart. Apparently the size of the cupholder and the motion of the golf cart held the requisite "Call 911" buttons. Phone started sounding like an air raid siren and the screen announced calling emergency services. Couldn't figure out how to shut it off and got a call from the local sheriff. Took a while to convince her not to send ambulance or SWAT team to the 4th hole.
If my phone sensed me playing golf, it would be an emergency……send help!

Ok, Boomers.

…and

Siri, you ignorant slut.

(That’s all I came here for. Carry on.)

I butt dialed 911 once, and the sheriff's deputies showed up at the airport bar looking for me to be sure we were OK.

I have a phone mount for the motorcycle that's sort of a clamp. One time I accidentally clamped it on a button, I don't even know which one, and the phone called 911. I was in my helmet and gear trying to call off the MAN. They were actually really nice about it.

We've had issues at work lately with our landline randomly calling 911. Apparently there is a problem with our phone line, and the resulting occasional glitch causes a dial-out. We will receive the call back from 911 about a hang-up call. Unfortunately the phone company is either unable or unwilling to find the problem.

Back