Helicopter Using "fake" N-Number

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
Okay so it's not "fake" but it doesn't belong to the helicopter and appears to be removable. Reviewing my videos and pictures, it appears that the N-number is either a magnet or giant sticker. It's lighter than the rest of the body. It was cool watching it but when I checked the N number database it comes up with another helicopter.

8452700080_70613b0db8_k.jpg

This flew into the airport while a TFR was up and active as well as applicable. The engines stayed on and the heli idled until a black car came. Then they both disappeared. Then came back about an hr later.

The N-Number is N13HF and comes back as de-registered.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=13HF

The FAA database can lag behind for months. My guess is they sold the old heli, looks like it left the country, but kept the n number for the new one.

Three months from registration change to FAA database updated would be speedy. With a deregistration and n number change, I can only imagine it would take longer. The pink slip is what matters, not the database.

Last edited:
They probably painted washable water soluble white paint over the black, too.

Magnetic signs won't stick to aluminum.

The FAA database can lag behind for months. My guess is they sold the old heli, looks like it left the country, but kept the n number for the new one.

Three months from registration change to FAA database updated would be speedy. With a deregistration and n number change, I can only imagine it would take longer. The pink slip is what matters, not the database.

I just figured out that my computer doesn't display the first table for reserved aircraft! :dunno: I checked on my phone and found that this is N363G, as seen in the first table. Sucks. Anyway to delete this thread? Why discuss a resolved problem?

Stupid IE explorer.

On a related note, can a private helicopter get an exemption from a presidential TFR? The TFR "only" allowed LE, military, and DoD aircraft. This belongs to HeliFlite.

They probably painted washable water soluble white paint over the black, too.

Magnetic signs won't stick to aluminum.

Yep, especially if its rusty. I called autozone looking for a specific brand of aluminum wheel polish, he said he didn't have any, I asked what did he have and was it any good? He replied "How rusted are they?" I said "The worst case of rust on aluminum rims that I've ever seen"

On a related note, can a private helicopter get an exemption from a presidential TFR? The TFR "only" allowed LE, military, and DoD aircraft. This belongs to HeliFlite.

I can (EMS). Plus there are branches in the DOD that operate civilian "N" number aircraft. Got friends who fly RC-7s with an N number and think a few fly RC-12s with an N number. Plus you have Army Flight Concepts. Who knows what they fly. :wink2:

It's printed on adhesive backed white vinyl. We use a lot of them for registration changes until the #s get painted painted on.

Tat picture ire makes it look like it is landing on the wing off that 172...

It's printed on adhesive backed white vinyl. We use a lot of them for registration changes until the #s get painted painted on.

I've used them on my last three airplanes, simple and cheap. The first two were being painted and I had the shop change the N number before we got the registration changed, so they covered it with a vinyl decal. The last one, Charlene, I got the N number change before we got it painted, so I got a temporary decal, that stayed on for 2+ years. :dunno:
2009-12-28_144132.jpg

I've used them on my last three airplanes, simple and cheap. The first two were being painted and I had the shop change the N number before we got the registration changed, so they covered it with a vinyl decal. The last one, Charlene, I got the N number change before we got it painted, so I got a temporary decal, that stayed on for 2+ years. :dunno:
2009-12-28_144132.jpg
Yup, that looks like a 747 JumBo to me! :)

Yup, that looks like a 747 JumBo to me! :)

:D I wish I had matched the vinyl color a little better, I picked it out on line, and went too dark on the tan. The brown matched pretty close, but it's in the paint shop now so no more stickers! :D

I watched some new airplanes being delivered to foreign customers at the Cessna factory. They had temporary N-numbers while the airplane was still "owned" by the manufacturer, but after the change of hands the vinyl was pulled off to reveal the new registration number for the appropriate country.

... it's in the paint shop now so no more stickers! :D

When you get the new N-number it's good (for a year?) until you apply it and inform the FAA.

I had mine put on when I had the plane painted.

When you get the new N-number it's good (for a year?) until you apply it and inform the FAA.

I had mine put on when I had the plane painted.

also

When exporting an airplane that is going through complete repaint, we paint on the new foreign registration and then re-apply the USA registration temporarily so the aircraft can be test flown etc while still on the US registry until the export is complete at which time the vinyl is removed.

Last edited:
Back