Heartbroken student

So let me further elaborate that since I don't bucket a T&G into the full stop landing category, so I also don't count it as a takeoff. Full stop landings and full stop takeoffs are counted separately.

If I did a stop and go, that would be a landing and a takeoff. A T&G is just rubbing pavement imo...sure it's a landing, but not a full stop one.

There are buckets on myflightbook for landings full stop, landings t&g and takeoffs full stop (probably called something different on the site but you get the point).

If I really wanted to know how many T&G takeoffs I had, I could just use the T&G landing bucket..

Here's a more verbose breakdown:

View attachment 55643

Takeoffs (any) are day takeoffs from a full stop (no T&G). Takeoffs - Night, same thing only at night, stop and go's are included because, well it's a full stop.

If it doesn't say Touch and Go, then the landing was to a full stop. So I have 226 T&G's and 207 full stop landings (433 total).
Stop the madness.. .

Guys, this isn't about me. It's about the OP. Yes, I probably have some cleanup to do based upon how I bucketed my stuff from my paper logbook into MyFlightbook, but I'm only off by like 37 takeoffs over 15-20 years, which is no big deal considering the time-span. I'm not concerned.

Stop the madness.. .

Not helpful at all. Please refrain from commenting unless you have something useful to add.

Guys, this isn't about me. It's about the OP. Yes, I probably have some cleanup to do based upon how I bucketed my stuff from my paper logbook into MyFlightbook, but I'm only off by like 37 takeoffs over 15-20 years, which is no big deal considering the time-span. I'm not concerned.

Not helpful at all. Please refrain from commenting unless you have something useful to add.
???? As compared to? Cracky mate, read your own byzantine, multi-line, and stupendously pointless recitation on counting TOs and landings! If that's of use to the OP, bless 'im. . .

Hello folks,

15 hours on the log book and I got kicked out today by my CFI. His reason, all his students solo in 10 hours and I was unable to get a good control of pitch or was unable to co-ordinate my turns in 15 hours. The gist of his parting comment was, I was not worth his time.

Not trying to start a blame game here, but I got to fly once, maybe twice a week in a Cessna 150 and got judged for every small mistake I made. Also, I believe I was never given the opportunity to feel the plane. But maybe, I am wrong considering my (now former) instructor has been around for more than a decade and runs his own Part 61 school here.

Really heartbroken. Would the more experienced pilots/CFIs here be able to recommend someone who could take my under their wing?

I am from Seattle area.

I cant recommend a CFI for you, but I will say this.

I solo'd at 17 hours. I was endorsed for my ticket at 42 hrs. When I finished my private pilot checkride I had 44 hrs.

Not everyone learns all tasks at the same speed. Nor is early performance necessarily an indicator of later achievement. Find someone else, and move on. If a second or third one gives you the wave off, then maybe its you.. but not until then...

If you passed Common Core, then you would be able to do the math.

Tim
this-is-math.jpg

Helping my 14 yr old with algebra drives me nuts. I solve the problem the way I was taught, and she yells at me that she won't get credit if she does it my way because it isn't the way the teachers solve the problem. The issue is I can't do it the way they do, it's so rube goldberg baffling.

That is the school system. Nothing to do with Common Core, it is all implementation.
Read the spec, common core says the student must be able to accomplish addition/subtraction.
My first wife was a teacher, my daughter is a teacher, and I have multiple relatives that are teachers. So I get to hear about this sh** all the time.

Tim

That is the school system. Nothing to do with Common Core, it is all implementation.
Read the spec, common core says the student must be able to accomplish addition/subtraction.
My first wife was a teacher, my daughter is a teacher, and I have multiple relatives that are teachers. So I get to hear about this sh** all the time.

Tim
The goal should be to get the right answer. There a hundreds of ways to solve most problems, the trick of good teaching is finding the one that works best for the particular student. Common core is the death of free thinking.

The goal should be to get the right answer. There a hundreds of ways to solve most problems, the trick of good teaching is finding the one that works best for the particular student. Common core is the death of free thinking.

That's the catch, the kids won't get credit unless they solve it using du jour methods. And those methods always changing is just another scam to keep selling new textbooks to the taxpayers.

I agree with multiple techniques and finding the correct one. However, Common Core specifies what knowledge must be attained by specific grade level. It does not cover technique. For that you get to blame the school systems and the governors/state houses.
Learn to blame the correct party, not one that meets a marketing slogan.

Tim

I agree with multiple techniques and finding the correct one. However, Common Core specifies what knowledge must be attained by specific grade level. It does not cover technique. For that you get to blame the school systems and the governors/state houses.
Learn to blame the correct party, not one that meets a marketing slogan.

Tim
The group that insists on doing it one way is the same group that insisted on common core. Common core is not simply another technique. If it were, nobody in their right mind would complain about it. It has nothing to do with a new technique, and everything to do with limiting free thinking.

The group that insists on doing it one way is the same group that insisted on common core. Common core is not simply another technique. If it were, nobody in their right mind would complain about it. It has nothing to do with a new technique, and everything to do with limiting free thinking.

Again, Common Core had nothing to do with technique. That was all at the school system or state level. Common core mandated what problems and knowledge only. The goal being, if you graduated from a school in Texas or Maryland or Alabama or New York... That employers and colleges/universities knew you met a minimal level of knowledge and ability.
So like I said, blame the school system or the state. Not Common Core. In fact, when you look at the implementation, where Common core mostly had a bad reputation is where it was pushed down from the top by the state with a single solution for everyone. Other states, that pushed the school system to comply without providing a solution have had less resistance. Again, it was a local political choice.

Tim

Again, Common Core had nothing to do with technique. That was all at the school system or state level. Common core mandated what problems and knowledge only. The goal being, if you graduated from a school in Texas or Maryland or Alabama or New York... That employers and colleges/universities knew you met a minimal level of knowledge and ability.
So like I said, blame the school system or the state. Not Common Core. In fact, when you look at the implementation, where Common core mostly had a bad reputation is where it was pushed down from the top by the state with a single solution for everyone. Other states, that pushed the school system to comply without providing a solution have had less resistance. Again, it was a local political choice.

Tim

Are you saying you are against centralized control?

Are you saying you are against centralized control?

My beliefs have nothing to do with it. Salty kept repeating a myth and blaming the wrong source of the issue.
If you want to blame common core for something, make sure to blame it for a valid cause/reason, not the excuse parents, politicians and school boards used.
(yes, I am very cynical, and there is a sh** ton of blame to go around on the implementation)

Tim

I'm a bit late to the party here---and it seems like the thread has already gone off the rails discussing the latest "new-new-new math," which will inevitably be abandoned like the original "new math" in a few years---but I figured I'd drop in my $0.02 since, well, since I live nearby. That makes me qualified, right? Right. . . .

Okay, anyway. First, I've kept my aircraft at the airport with this school of yours for almost a year and have never heard of them until some Google-fu turned it up. Now, I'm not the most networked guy on the field, but there are two well-known and established schools here, and that ain't one of them. It seems like a one-man show and kind of a dopey one at that. You're better off going somewhere else for sure. I'm kind of curious why you picked him in the first place---not to make you feel bad, I'd just be interested in your thinking. Clearly this guy gets some number of students training with him. For some reason.

Second, the "prepay" trap is the mommy of flight school traps. Typically it ensnares foreign students, but it looks like you got snagged. I would love for the industry to come together to shut down these garbage businesses (and it would help the community), but it's not going to happen. Here's what I'd suggest: do the math on what that original payment prorates out to (instruction and airplane) at his rates ($60/hr for instruction, seemingly, which is high but not totally unreasonable). If you got less than what you paid for, fill out a small-claims-court form and bring him a copy of what you're going to file with the court as a "courtesy." I bet he'll offer to work out a deal with you in exchange for you not dragging him to court. At least this way, you get back some of your money, and since it's under $5,000 you can do small claims.

Third, 10 hours---as many have said---is certainly a doable solo time but is on the shorter side. A lot depends, too, on how the curriculum is structured. The point here is to get your pilot's license, not just to solo. In any event, don't sweat it.

Fourth, 40 hours is the absolute bare minimum for a private. It's really quite rare for people to get their licenses in that amount of time. I'm curious who the DPE is for this school. If they're averaging 42 hours, that's pretty incredible when you consider that no sample in the set can be less than 40. Frankly, it sounds almost statistically impossible unless there's some funny business involved.

Fifth, DM me if you want to chat about instructors/flight schools. I'm local, so I've got a bit of experience around here.

Thanks so much starglider. I have sent you a DM. One thing that has really got me surprised that I tried to hide even the home airport and still people figured it out.

Thanks so much starglider. I have sent you a DM. One thing that has really got me surprised that I tried to hide even the home airport and still people figured it out.

You used your full name, which is kinda unique here (and cool). A quick search, limiting to Seattle area gets the town. Not many airports close by....

Tim

In my experience, pilots tend to be an inquisitive bunch and tend to interpret things like this as challenges. :)

Back