Headset question. Lightspeed vs Bose

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
I am going to be upgrading my headset soon. My original headset has quit working and the manufacturer has gone out of business. Right now I'm using my backup, backup headset which I bought for $99 on Amazon. Let's just say it's not the best.

I'm about to start my instrument rating, and I want to upgrade to a headset that will last me decades to come. From what I gather, the Lightspeed Zulu 3 and the Bose A20 are the two top of the line options.

I know people will have varied opinions on this and I might as well as whether Cessnas or Pipers are better. But I'm hoping some of you can weigh in on which brand you like and why.

It doesn't matter much what other people like. Try them on your head and see what you find comfortable. A lot of people don't like David Clamp headsets, but I never had a problem with them.
I just don't know where to try them out. My friend has an A20, but I don't know anyone with a Zulu3.

I like 'em both. I have both. I wear lightspeed because I wanna be just like 310pilot. jk. the lightspeeds to me are more comfy on my head, the A20's are not comfy on longer flights, like noticeably so. sound on them is great, they are a great pair for passengers and I still wear them now and then but the lightspeeds are my go to.

Yep. I went to Oshkosh one year and tried just about every headset out there: Bose, Lightspeed, etc... Settled on the Lightspeeds. It's handy if you have a venue like that to try them on because it's a pretty personal decision.

Sporty’s and Marv Golden have generous return policies. Buy both and return the one you like less. If you want it last decades, think about David Clark One-X.

From what I gather, the Lightspeed Zulu 3 and the Bose A20 are the two top of the line options.
I would rank the DC One-X as a 3rd option.

I have one each of the A20, Z3 and One-X. I'd say it comes down to personal preference.

I have a David Clark that I have had for a while. I have heard folks say David Clark's customer service is great, but I have not had a return problem. Not sure, but I suspect David Clark company has been around longer than the other two, if that makes any difference. Based strictly on what I have heard, the DC One-X is a good headset.

I have both, I usually use my A20, but a few weeks ago I hopped in another guys plane and took my Zulu3 with me. I definitely like the Bose better. The Zulu seems to be tighter on my melon and the ear cups are not as comfortable. After an hour or so with the Zulu, I am ready for them to be off.

A friend of mine has both. He wears the LS his wife wears the Bose. She claims the LS gives her a headache.

The OP can (subject to funds availability) always get one of each, use the one he likes and save the other for a passenger.

This is entirely subjective. My Zulu 3s are currently on indefinite loan to a friend who upgraded her Bose to the latest and greatest and can't stand them. She's always had Bose but feel in love immediately with my Zulus.

Lightspeed fits if you are in the left seat. But cord runs across your chest in the right seat.
That depends entirely on where the jacks are. In my airplane, they're in the center. In some I fly, they're in the panel. In others, all on the left.

Lightspeed fits if you are in the left seat. But cord runs across your chest in the right seat. Funny, the cheaper "Sierra" can be used on both sides.

Bose can be used comfortably in both seats.

You will NEVER see an airline pilot wearing her headset backwords. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=airplin+pilots+in+cockpit&atb=v1-1&iax=images&ia=images
I guess these guys need more training. (From your search link) https://www.aviationtoday.com/2016/01/12/faa-to-consider-new-airline-pilot-training-requirements/

The OP can (subject to funds availability) always get one of each, use the one he likes and save the other for a passenger.
I wish my financial position allowed for me to do this.

I wish my financial position allowed for me to do this.

Even if my financial position allowed it, I would not want to buy two headsets at close to $1,000 each. A lot of pilots (me included) spend most of their flying time solo, so to have an expensive headset for passengers that are rarely sitting over there just doesn't make financial sense to me. Then again, I am a bit of a tightwad. :)

A friend of mine has both. He wears the LS his wife wears the Bose. She claims the LS gives her a headache.
Bose are hinged at the top of the head. Lightspeeds are hinged near the earcups. You can kind of see the difference in hinges in these pics.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...s-sierra-vs-bosex-vs-qfr-on-the-scale.129055/

I suppose which is more comfy depends on whether you have a flathead or a conehead.
Frank_lloyd.png

1511891725430-coneheads.jpeg

I tried both. Went with lightspeed. My wife loved them so much she wanted a pair.

I suppose which is more comfy depends on whether you have a flathead or a conehead.

Dad used to say I was "bullheaded" & that may be why it's difficult to find headsets to fit ... :dunno:

I don’t see much difference between the two except the Bose is made in the US.

I literally started with rugged air the. Ufq a7 and then bought the a20 and sierra at the same time. The Bose is better but if you can find a deal on the sierras… go for it

The Lightspeeds will handle a loud airplane and the Bose will not. The Lightspeed also has the adjustable mic gain. Bose does not. I have sold and tested headsets for many years in many different planes. The Bose just will not work in the loud aerobatic stuff I flew or anything with wind. The more noise you throw at the Zulu 3 the better it works. I keep my mic gain all the way down.

I have Bose, my wife loves the LightSpeed Sierra. It may just be the cool color though. They are comfortable.

I have the Lightspeed PFX (Yes, I know they’re discontinued) as well as the Bose A20 and hands down the Bose are the better product. Hope this helps.

Back