One-X vs A20 vs Zulu3 vs Sierra vs BoseX vs QFR on the scale

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
Just got a David Clark One-X. When I first put it on, I thought felt a bit clampy so I decided to get some objective measurements.

(clockwise from top left: Bose X, Bose A20, DC One-X, Lightspeed Zulu 3, Lightspeed QFR XC2, Lightspeed Sierra)
Clipboard2a.jpg

I suspect that the pressure I felt was the memory foam. The first couple times I flew with the One-X, I thought they were pretty comfortable so it was probably the memory foam needing to be warmed up.

While I had the scale out...
Clipboarda.jpg

And for reference, a passive DC H10-13.4 clone...

Clipboardb.jpg

You bring actual, objective data to an argument on POA? :incazzato:

Infidel! Burn him!

:cornut:

Agree. It's troubling to think where this sort of deviant behaviour could lead. Someone might actually measure the shoulder width in a Mooney to prove it can carry two weight lifters. Or put a tape to the rear seat legroom in a Cherokee 140 to dispel the notion you have to amputate at the knees.

Last edited:
How are we to take data seriously if it's not presented in metric measurements? Was that scale manufacturer owned by or otherwise linked to any of the headset parent companies? And....what about the OP himself...what exactly is HIS relationship to these manufacturers, hMMMMMMMmMMMMmmmmmm?

Seriously...thanks for the post. Interesting experiment. Still will never buy a Bose product, but that's a bias I bring with me from the audio world.

Love it! @asicer's post should be sticky'd...somewhere.

Just like your data...our one set of Bose A20 definitely do not clamp as tight as our Zulu 3's and thus why they just don't work for me in the 182. A slight turn of the head its full bore Conti power directly to the ear drums. The Zulu's never do that for me or my wife or daughter. But the Zulu 3's definitely feel heavier.

You bring actual, objective data to an argument on POA? :incazzato:

Infidel! Burn him!

:cornut:
While the evidence presented is quite compelling, it's not tabular and spelled out for the weak. Actually, the data is presented in a form requiring the reader to interpret the results through reading for understanding instead of 'mansplaint'. The point being it's hardly worthy of burning. Convene a board of inquiry and administer due chastisement - all publicly so others will learn from observing bad behavior.

This thread is useless without the calibration data for the scale, not to mention correction factors for temperature, air pressure, humidity, latitude, and moon phase.

This thread is useless without the calibration data for the scale, not to mention correction factors for temperature, air pressure, humidity, latitude, and moon phase.
Proving once again the Dilbert translation of an engineers “That depends” to “Abandon all hope of a useful answer”.

While the evidence presented is quite compelling, it's not tabular and spelled out for the weak. Actually, the data is presented in a form requiring the reader to interpret the results through reading for understanding instead of 'mansplaint'. The point being it's hardly worthy of burning. Convene a board of inquiry and administer due chastisement - all publicly so others will learn from observing bad behavior.
These data would be better presented as a 20 minute video entitled "three WEIRD numbers about aviation headsets".

These data would be better presented as a 20 minute video entitled "three WEIRD numbers about aviation headsets".

Well the first three minutes of most aviation videos is telling you what the video will be about, how to like and subscribe, who the sponsors are, and why this video is the only source of information you need to make an intelligent decision.

There is the rare exception as the one I scanned through the other day. It was about a taxi and take off of a certain plane I like ... 12 minute video was a 9 minute wing view of the pilot sitting in the cockpit doing the run-up and slow taxi to the runway! I go right past that kinda junk ...

Back