Head sets

ANR is great for making ATC and intercom easier to hear. For hearing protection, passive muffs are probably fine.

I think this would be more accurate statement.

Sorry, about the tinnitus. That has to be annoying.

Sorry, about the tinnitus. That has to be annoying.
Quite, depending on the day. Of course it doesn't help any when you think about it.

A good friend of ours is a doctor. I asked him about tinnitus... he said, "Yes, I have it too... it's not too bad if I don't think about it. Thanks for asking."

This is not related to actually flying, but I used to work for an airline(ground job) at Dulles Airport. There is a constant hi decibel noise out on the ramp, and especially by our 747s and A340s. If I were to not wear my hearing protection at all I could see a problem. I worked with people who have been out on the ramp for over 20 years. Their hearing was fine, and they had just been using passive hearing protection.

I worked line for about 4 years. We had a lot of jets plus we fueled the airlines. I probably over-wore my earplugs because I had them on for ANYTHING That took jet. I have no idea how people could stand outside with an APU running from a bigger airplane. Or how people could stand even a King Air without protection. I even put mine on inside when an MU2 starts up.

Yet, people do. I don't understand it either.

When I go out to ground test our 747, there is always an APU and ground cart running, and it's LOUD. Half the ground crew has muffs around their necks.

Heck, it's loud in the hangar if only the tow rig is running.

It's not so bad inside the aircraft, but it is a machine room and we use DC headsets even on the ground. The main comfort issue there is that the cabin needs to be kept COLD to keep the bearing oil from overheating (it's designed to operate in contact with stratospheric temperatures, not desert summer heat). We always have "fun" teaching the scientists how to use the headsets properly.

I worked line for about 4 years. We had a lot of jets plus we fueled the airlines. I probably over-wore my earplugs because I had them on for ANYTHING That took jet. I have no idea how people could stand outside with an APU running from a bigger airplane. Or how people could stand even a King Air without protection. I even put mine on inside when an MU2 starts up.

When there was no planes near our gates, some of the terminal agents would come out to get some fresh air(ah, the sweet smell of jet fuel) without hearing protection. I would have to assume the role of the a-hole who would make people put in some ear plugs. Even though it is bearable at the time, people do not realize how bad it is for your hearing with the ambient sound.

Awhile back I sat right seat in an acquaintance's SR-22 and he handed me a set of Bose (?model?) headsets. Much more comfortable than the non-ANR headsets I own. I played with the ANR on/off button and although a noticable difference, it was still quiter than mine.

I'm thinking of getting a new headset, just haven't had the opportunity to do some comparison shopping...I'm itching to try Lightspeed, Sennheiser, Bose (again, of course) and Halos.

ANR is nice, but if it "sucks" to have it off, the headset's passive attentuation is not up to snuff.

You should have both. A dead battery shouldn't be enough to make it "suck."

I'd be ****ed off if I paid $1000 for a headset that was that bad. I paid < $400 for mine, and it's nice with the ANR on, but definitely usable with it off.

Mine has really lousy audio when the battery dies. So bad that I have trouble understanding the tower. Turning off the ANC at that point helps.

Quite, depending on the day. Of course it doesn't help any when you think about it.

A good friend of ours is a doctor. I asked him about tinnitus... he said, "Yes, I have it too... it's not too bad if I don't think about it. Thanks for asking."

You did have to get me thinking about mine, now didn't you. :nono:

I have not been able to find any article or study that supports this? The closest thing I can find is an article about fatigue due to constant noise during a long XC. This same article only pointed out having no ear protection to having hear protection.

This is not related to actually flying, but I used to work for an airline(ground job) at Dulles Airport. There is a constant hi decibel noise out on the ramp, and especially by our 747s and A340s. If I were to not wear my hearing protection at all I could see a problem. I worked with people who have been out on the ramp for over 20 years. Their hearing was fine, and they had just been using passive hearing protection.

I'm sure I could go write up a article, but I'm too stingy with my free time :wink2:

My support for the my headset opinion is from being a full time, 100+hr a month pilot. I've used my personal pax passive DC 56s (with the oregon aero goodies), I've used loaner no-name headsets, used friends Bose when I forgot my set in the car and I fly my Zulus 95% of the time, everything from doing 2hrs of touch&goes with a student in a tandem t/w plane, to flying across the country, to ....

This is what I have found works great for me, you mileage may vary... though I think I spend enough of the day in the cockpit with my headset to have a fair shake on the subject.

One thing I SHOULD have said, that someone else here commented on, be SURE YOU TRY THEM ON FIRST!
My pax set of DCs fits me just fine, however some folks flying with me have worn and had issues (from too loose, all the way to too tight!) and others havent had a issue at all.

Most large FBO/Pilot shops will have a full lineup you can play with to see what FITS your head the best.

Another vote for Halos, and here's another reason. I wear reading glasses and am constantly taking them on and off while flying. They hang around my neck with a lanyard. Much easier to do this with QT Halo in-the-ear types.

I also bought my wife a pair and now she doesn't complain about messed up hair anymore. Easily worth twice the $340 asking price :)

Ditto to what JohnAJohnson just posted. I had Bose X and relegated them to the "wife headset" when I bought a set of QT Halos. Then she asked to try mine because of the headset hair and vice clamp feeling. Now we both have QT Halos and I sold the Bose. I like the sound better by far with the QT Halos. I also use a Pilot BluLink to have cell phone and music capability. Just my $ .02........

I started with an ANR headset with really good passive attenuation ... And, if I were to go back to a tradition style headset, I would either dust off my original headset or buy new (with the best passive protection AND comfort I could find).

One consideration (among several) with ANR is the use of glasses with the headset. Often (but not always), the earpieces on the glasses will break the seal on the earcups, leading to added / undesirable noise (potentially worse than with ANR turned off).

Several years ago, I switched to in-ear headsets ... and haven't looked back.
Yes, they're a bit fiddly to put on or take off; but, once they're on, they're heavenly.
First set was the Lightspeed Mach 1 - well intentioned, but the heavy mic assembly tended to interfere with the effectiveness of the earpiece to which it was attached.
I've since switched to the Quiet Technologies Halo. (And am missing the music input of the Lightspeeds.) I would also consider the Clarity Aloft - if I weren't so cheap / broke.

I've since switched to the Quiet Technologies Halo. (And am missing the music input of the Lightspeeds.) I would also consider the Clarity Aloft - if I weren't so cheap / broke.

Joe, I have a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the MUSIC1 input into my Audio Panel (Garmin 340) and it plays my Bluetooth tablet or phone music fine over the Halos. If you've got an audio panel that accepts music through a audio plug, this is a pretty good solution.

Thanks for the BT idea. On the list of projects for the new plane is a new intercom w music input ... Parts in hand, just waiting for me to have time.

Back