Head sets

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Can you, my fellow pilots, explain why you have/use the headset you have.
I am considering a new head set and wonder what difference I will notice between a $300 set vs a $1,000 set.

Is noise cancelling different the more you spend?

Any help is appreciated.

:yesnod:

With a 1,000 headset, you will get better, clearer sound, ANR, and a bluetooth connection for music. It will also be much much much much much more comfortable.

I use a Pilot 17-79 ANR headset, and I use it because my hearing was significantly damaged by engine noise over the first 25 years I was flying before ANR headsets were developed. No need for a $1000 headset (although if you fly a lot you'll probably enjoy the comfort, features and quality), but if you value your hearing, you'll spend the extra bucks for ANR.

I use the qt halo's, for me they are as quite as the 1000 dollar models, and far more comfortable.

I was able to get a low time Lightspeed Zulu.2 used for $700.00.

I'm willing to spend for quality and comfort and the ANR feature. Especially the ANR. For the same reasons Ron Levy explains.

But I'm also starting to lean toward the QT halo's. Lots of reports they do as good of noise reduction as the ANR and are more comfortable for wearers of hat and glasses.

I went from Lightspeed XL15 ($300 range) to Zulus and they are definately more comfortable and have Bluetooth. The ANR doesn't seem that different to me; maybe a little.

I use the qt halo's, for me they are as quite as the 1000 dollar models, and far more comfortable.

I also have a pair of QT's, love them. A little more effort a the start of the flight, as you must insert the ear pieces in your ear, but after thta, very comfortable and no clamping.

---

For most of my flying, though (my wife gets the Halos when we fly together), I have an older David Clark headset which has been converted to ANR with the kit from Headsets, Inc., and I am very happy with it. I believe the ANR itself is on par with any other manufacturer's product and (of course) it is a lot less money (as long as you started with a donor set of DCs).

If I were buying from zero right now, I'd either get another Halo, or I'd get a Lightspeed Zulu. The current Bose sets are ex-pensive, but also very good.

fwiw - I have David Clark ANR headset. I'm perfectly happy with them. My bladder range limits the length of a flight leg - not the physical comfort of my headset.

Always try out headsets on your head. Different brands/models fit differently.

I did my flight training with a pair of DC H10-13.4s. They're pretty comfortable for short flights, but after a while I understand why people call them "David Clamps". I bought QT Halos for my wife and myself, and we both like them. VERY clear communication, very good noise reduction. They seem to work as well as the Lightspeed Zulus (the original ones) I tried in a friend's plane. Plus I can wear a hat if I want -- even one with a brim. The biggest difference is, these suckers are comfortable. You literally forget they're there.

I'm sure the Zulu.2s and Bose are fine products. The only thing I miss is Bluetooth, but it's not worth another $650 to me.

[snip]
Always try out headsets on your head. Different brands/models fit differently.

:yeahthat:

Fit is critical to both comfort and quiet and no two heads are exactly alike.

I have AVCOMM headsets and with gel ear seals I like them just fine. But I'd really like to try some ANR headsets sometime.

John

I'm a Bose user. When I flew quiet trainers I used a Telex that was very light and didn't mess up my hair (hah). I ditched it in favor of the Bose because it was just as light, more comfortable (doesn't put a lot of pressure on your head) and has awesome ANR. I want to protect my hearing for the next 50+ years of flying, and even for $1,100 it's worth it to me. I recently flew a 7 hour trip and it never got uncomfortable once.. that was impressive.

With a 1,000 headset, you will get better, clearer sound, ANR, and a bluetooth connection for music. It will also be much much much much much more comfortable.
Does the music stop with incoming transmission? What is ANR?

Anyone try the molded ear pieces?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
ANR = Active Noise Reduction.

I have a Bose X headset from my first airplane. I kept the Bose and got an adapter for a standard headset jack. ANR makes a huge difference.

I tried a bunch of different headsets when I purchased my last set. Marv golden pilot supplies near me has a little station with Bose headphones setup and a noise generator that simulates noise in a plane. I'm sure I annoyed everyone in the store using this machine when I took a bunch of headphones over and tried them all one by one. It quickly came down to two brands for me 1)Lightspeed vs 2) Bose.

Both headphones are very nice and as most things it comes down to personal preference. What I did notice is that the Sierra vs Zulu had no difference in terms of comfort or noise reduction just a couple small features I din't care about. For this reason I narrowed it down to the Sierra vs the Bose A20. Bose seemed to have just slightly better ANR (almost not noticeable) but Bose was not as good in noise reduction with ANR off. When I borrowed a friends A20's and used them in the plane however I noticed the Sierra headphones did a better job, and they do a way better job then my older Bose X headphones (not relevant now, but I'll come back to this). My guess is the Bose demo stand was tuned for the best results with their headphones and not Lightspeed's giving an unfair advantage wile evaluating the two in the stores simulated cockpit environment.

In any event I chose the Sierra headphones because they were cheaper and have much better customer service from what I've experienced. I say this because of the interactions I've had with the two companies from personal experience (just google customer service for the two). Very recently I called Bose and asked what it would cost to have them replace the cable on my headset seeing it is the old 9V pack and not the new one as well as some replacement each cushions. The answer was over $200. I posed the same question to Sierra and they sent out a replacement at no cost. To me this is a no brainer. I'll gladly take the Lightspeed product int he future seeing the products perform so similarly and in the event something goes wrong their customer service is miles ahead of Bose.

Looking at it form a cost of ownership perspective Lightspeed has been 1/2 the cost for me.

1) Bose X a) purchase price = $1,000, b) refurbish cost after years of use $200

2)Sierra a) purchase price = $600 b) refurbish/repair cost = $0

In any event it really is preference, but I value my ears and think being able to hear ATC clearly is crucial so I gladly spend more for a quality headset. I can't stand my David Clark's and feel bad making others wear them, but then some people love them. Again it's mostly personal preference so try as many as you can, but get ANR if you do a lot of flying

The comfort is important especially on longer flights. If after awhile the headset starts to hurt from being too tight, or if it squeezes your ears against the sides of your sunglasses, it can become a distraction. If the headset is too loose it can fall off if you turn your head too suddenly or if you hit turbulence.
Also, if you will be frequently taking it out of your bag, then putting in back in...and frequently plugging it in and then unplugging it (rental aircraft as opposed to keeping it connected in your own plane all the time), then over time the cheaper headsets will wear out where the wires connect, from being pulled/bent/twisted.

I am still a student pilot, so I have not had any marathon flights.
With that said, I use the David Clark Model H10-13.4 headset.
I purchased these because I did not want to keep sharing headsets with other students, not knowing if they are sick or not.
I found a set that looked new, but had a couple of issues. I sent them into David Clark(Great Customer Service), and they fixed them up just like new. I would swear they gave me a brand new pair, and even put them in a box as if I purchased from a store. The total after repair and shipping was still half the cost of a new set.
My longest continued use of them was 2.7 hours. Towards the last half hour they did get a little warm, and I started to notice them more(thus the David Clamps). The plane I fly in is a Piper Sport LSA. 100HP motor, so not to loud compared to most I would guess, but noise level greatly reduced. I can hear ATC just fine.
I would recommend them for a new pilot. I do plan to upgrade in the future. I wouldn't feel bad having a passenger wear them, unless it was going to be more than a couple hours per leg.
I may upgrade the headset itself over time with the ANR kit, and Bluetooth.

I use a Pilot 17-79 ANR headset, and I use it because my hearing was significantly damaged by engine noise over the first 25 years I was flying before ANR headsets were developed. No need for a $1000 headset (although if you fly a lot you'll probably enjoy the comfort, features and quality), but if you value your hearing, you'll spend the extra bucks for ANR.

What he said. My wife uses the Clarity Aloft in the ear kind which I find uncomfortable (but they provide similar sound protection). I use the Lightspeed Zulus because I tried many for fit and features at the time I bought them (Bose, Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamic, etc...) and they were teh best for me.

Best place to shop is some place that has a good selection (Airventure or Sun and Fun is a good idea :))

I use the David Clark H10-13.4. I've had them on for a 3.4 hour flight more or less nonstop (I jumped out and visited with a friend I met at the airport for a few minutes). I haven't had any issues at all.

Softcomm C-90 for me. Why? I was the high bidder in the AOPA Foundation on-line auction in 2000. Why do I still use them? For me, they are comfortable. Softcomm hasn't fixed problems free, but their fees have been reasonable. I have a second pair for my wife, and they have required no work in the past 11 years, but I fly solo far more than with her in the right seat.

Using Telex 30XT. On indefinite loan from my father. He saw me taking lessons, and wanted to start flying himself. Bought fancy headset, 1 year chart/AFD subscription, and after 5 hours decided to put everything on hold. So I borrowed his headset. A year later, still using it. My original pair was DC something, was purchased on eBay in 2003 for like $150. The cord wore out on it and I sent it to DC for repair, about a year ago. They told me that headset is about 20 years old! But what they sent back was more or less new headset, and it's now used by whatever passenger comes with me.

Telex is nice, but has issues. I do not feel any difference between ANR and regular. And it can be a bit heavy. After 2 hours in a plane, I am very happy not to have it on my head anymore.

Used to use my Bose X exclusively. Then I found out about the Bose QC15 with the U-Fly-Mike. Noise canceling is just as good if not better than the Bose X. It's also much lighter and more comfortable. The whole set up is half of what the new A20s cost. I have a cord that I plug my iPod into it so I can listen to tunes as well.

http://www.uflymike.com/

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...ncelling_headphones/quietcomfort_15/index.jsp

8uqu7a2e.jpg

e7yzezuj.jpg

Last edited:
Does the music stop with incoming transmission? What is ANR?

Anyone try the molded ear pieces?

Thanks for the input.

The ANR question was answered.

On my Zulu.2's, yes, the music will auto mute when it detects any transmission through the system, including the intercom.

That I found a bit annoying since it would mute even if the microphone was picking up some wind noise from an open window or my breathing. Possibly there is a setting to fix this.

QT Halos (www.quiettechnologies.com) are a realtive bargain in the GA world. Many folks speak well of Phil and his company. And there is the benefit of a generous trial/return period (45 days). So if you got some and didn't find them to your liking, you're able to obtain a refund.

I always let audio panel like GMA340 do the muting and the like. Intercom has the necessary information that headset itself lacks about what channel has priority. Also, it usually has a better panel with indication that makes it possible to configure it easier than fiddling with remote control style buttons on headset block. If I fly an airplane with a basic two-knob intercom, I eschew music entirely. Chances are it's some kind of antique that I need to fly by ear anyway.

There is really no reason to demand a technology (ANR, Passive, Bluetooth) when you are really looking for a feature or function (Noise reduction, cell or audio interface, comfort)...

Don't let anyone tell you you HAVE to have any particular technology, just try everything you can and figure out what gives YOU the best balance of features and functions that you desire...

What fits your needs, doesn't necessarily fit mine...

Another vote here for the QT Halos. Not only are they lightweight and non-clamping, the lack of material resting on top of your head means no sweat buildup there on hot days, and no "headset hair" when you get out of the plane.

I've never used an ANR headset. However, with the Halos I've never felt like I needed one, either.

DC 13.4. Same headset for 11 years and 400 hours. Like it so much I bought another one. No issues so far, none.... I also have a Avcomm headset that are the same age, however the cord is falling apart. My 4th headset is an ANR Sennheiser that works great, but I find it clamps my head too tight and it has been relegated to passenger duty.

If you click the little black button on the bottom of the box on the zulus twice when it mutes the music it will not mute it for ATC. I always have it on this setting, as my spidey senses tingle when they say my callsign and I can turn the music down to listen.

I've been using Zulus for about 4 years, excellent from little Champs, to Radial AG-Cats to 900SHP turbines, averaging about 100-120 hrs a month.

You cant buy your hearing back.

If you are going to be flying 150hp or less, well insulated planes, weekend warrior status, a passive set of David Clarks (with the Oregon Aero goodies if you like) will serve you well.

Anything more than that, you'll want to be looking at a set of Zulus or a real aviation Bose set. Also if you go this route, make sure you carry a extra set of batteries these ANR sets suck when they die.

Last edited:
If you click the little black button on the bottom of the box on the zulus twice when it mutes the music it will not mute it for ATC. I always have it on this setting, as my spidey senses tingle when they say my callsign and I can turn the music down to listen.

Plus, interrupting the BeeGees for something as banal as a traffic callout is sacrilege. :)

Plus, interrupting the BeeGees for something as banal as a traffic callout is sacrilege. :)
My G1000 will automatically turn off the radio when ATC calls, or the intercom is used. As for the BeeGees it turns off the radio whenever they come on. Sorry just not a fan of disco.

Doug

I own a David Clark head clamp with a noise generating microphone (10-30). I don't think much of it. I also own two DRE 1001s. Both are quite comfortable. One is stock; it's sound is OK. Too much midrange. The mic is good. The other has been modified for ANR using the Headsets, Inc kit, and it's fabulous. Not because of the ANR so much (the passive attenuation is already pretty good), but because the replacement speakers are a lot better.

The DRE 1001s can be bought new for $120.

If you are going to be flying 150hp or less, well insulated planes, weekend warrior status, a passive set of David Clarks (with the Oregon Aero goodies if you like) will serve you well.

Anything more than that, you'll want to be looking at a set of Zulus or a real aviation Bose set. Also if you go this route, make sure you carry a extra set of batteries these ANR sets suck when they die.

I have not been able to find any article or study that supports this? The closest thing I can find is an article about fatigue due to constant noise during a long XC. This same article only pointed out having no ear protection to having hear protection.

This is not related to actually flying, but I used to work for an airline(ground job) at Dulles Airport. There is a constant hi decibel noise out on the ramp, and especially by our 747s and A340s. If I were to not wear my hearing protection at all I could see a problem. I worked with people who have been out on the ramp for over 20 years. Their hearing was fine, and they had just been using passive hearing protection.

ANR is nice, but if it "sucks" to have it off, the headset's passive attentuation is not up to snuff.

You should have both. A dead battery shouldn't be enough to make it "suck."

I'd be ****ed off if I paid $1000 for a headset that was that bad. I paid < $400 for mine, and it's nice with the ANR on, but definitely usable with it off.

This is not related to actually flying, but I used to work for an airline(ground job) at Dulles Airport. There is a constant hi decibel noise out on the ramp, and especially by our 747s and A340s. If I were to not wear my hearing protection at all I could see a problem. I worked with people who have been out on the ramp for over 20 years. Their hearing was fine, and they had just been using passive hearing protection.
ANR is great for making ATC and intercom easier to hear. For hearing protection, passive muffs are probably fine.

I worked a lot of years as a mainframe computer field engineer -- the repair guy. I spent the majority of my day in computer rooms, often with my head crammed inside a piece of gear. The long term exposure to the persistent level of fan and blower noise, plus the occasional 1402 or 3203 train printer running with the cover open, has had a definite effect on my hearing. I've got tinnitus that just about drives me nuts some days, and while my ears are still finely tuned to hear mechanical things... human voices are often difficult for me to understand. It never occurred to me to wear ear plugs all those years, because the noise didn't seem that loud... sure wish I had, though.

Back