Have I lost my mind? ;)

Lisa L Fuller

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lISA Fuller
Good afternoon everyone. Like so many, I have had a lifelong dream to become a pilot. Life, money, lack of support had always stopped me. I am now in a new situation and would like to get educated on REAL LIFE pilot training before I start dropping money into a too old "career". I am 46 years of age. My only child will start her Sophomore year of college this fall. I feel it is NOW or NEVER.

What I am considering is getting my PPL and then maybe further my education and becoming a charter pilot/contract pilot. I am NOT in the way of being able to fly around for JUST my enjoyment but would need to recap and earn money to fund my enjoyment. lol AT age 46 is this just a pipe dream or is this doable? I am feel that I am capable just not sure if it is too late. Please be honest...I am 46 and very proud to be. Just being real.

I live in Leander (sub of Austin) and have started looking into schools. I notice that some of the schools push for online ground training, Liberty University. I am also very close to Central Texas College in Killeen Texas. Which route would you all recommend?
Thank you all in advance.
Sincerely,
Lisa

It’s doable. There’s members on here who have decided to pursue this same dream around your age, some even older.

My suggestion would be to find a local flight school besides a university. You’ll pay tenfold at a university vs. a smaller FBO flight school in the area for the same thing, especially if you don’t need a degree, too.

Find a school and schedule a discovery flight and then go from there!

It's never too late to chase a dream. Get in touch with your nearest flight schools and talk to them about real costs. Once you get your private rating you will need to continue flying t build hours in order to get your commercial. Then you could become a CFI and get paid to build hours to in order to get a full time flying gig. It's a lot of work, and usually a lot of money to get there, but it's certainly not too late for you.

Short answer, YES.... :lol::lol:

Ok, now that has been determined lets move on to the second question....

You are NOT too old to learn to fly. I started at 36 and have had a decent career without going to the airlines.

First things first. Got to think about health. First thing to do before spending any money is get to a Airman Medical Examiner (AME) and schedule a consultation. Gotta make sure everything is Ok first. Tell the doctor you are wanting to make sure you can pass a second class medical before you actually apply for it. He should go through your medical history and check medications you are on or might have been on at some time.

https://designee.faa.gov/SelectTypeOfSearch/SelectTypeOfSearch

Select AME, then select location search.

First things first. Got to think about health. First thing to do before spending any money is get to a Airman Medical Examiner (AME) and schedule a consultation. Gotta make sure everything is Ok first. Tell the doctor you are wanting to make sure you can pass a second class medical before you actually apply for it. He should go through your medical history and check medications you are on or might have been on at some time.

https://designee.faa.gov/SelectTypeOfSearch/SelectTypeOfSearch

Select AME, then select location search.
:yeahthat: Do this before anything else!

Lots of threads here on getting to PPL. Basically, Go with the least expensive plane (transition training is short and cheap) and most available instructor (you want to fly when you can) and try to do it in the shortest time you can (muscle memory is important in flying). It will cost you a lot before you can recoup any of it. Be prepared for that. Oh yeah, and what Zeldman said.

Depends on your IQ, ambition and income, but presuming all the above are a little above average you should be good.

Good afternoon everyone. Like so many, I have had a lifelong dream to become a pilot. Life, money, lack of support had always stopped me. I am now in a new situation and would like to get educated on REAL LIFE pilot training before I start dropping money into a too old "career". I am 46 years of age. My only child will start her Sophomore year of college this fall. I feel it is NOW or NEVER.

What I am considering is getting my PPL and then maybe further my education and becoming a charter pilot/contract pilot. I am NOT in the way of being able to fly around for JUST my enjoyment but would need to recap and earn money to fund my enjoyment. lol AT age 46 is this just a pipe dream or is this doable? I am feel that I am capable just not sure if it is too late. Please be honest...I am 46 and very proud to be. Just being real.

I live in Leander (sub of Austin) and have started looking into schools. I notice that some of the schools push for online ground training, Liberty University. I am also very close to Central Texas College in Killeen Texas. Which route would you all recommend?
Sincerely,
Lisa
Never too late...

@Christy Wong is one of the best people to talk to about what you are about to embark on. Last year she started on the Journey, and in less than 15 months has become a commercial rated pilot, president of a local flying club, and working hard to begin her "next career" flying for a living. And she too has a husband and kids and an existing career.

What Zeldman said above about double checking for any medical issues that would be a problem is sound advice. Usually, as a mid-life person, there shouldn't be anything that is a showstopper. But occasionally there are items that the FAA might want to know more information about. Finding out what those items might be, and then what info the FAA is gonna want to know, and then making sure all the info is submitted in just the right way, will DEFINITELY make things easier on you.

I'll also toss down my "consultation" link, https://tinyurl.com/ame-consult just incase this info will be of help.

The school you mentioned at Killeen is a good flight school. I cannot speak to their college level education part, but the instructors and equipment there are good. So no issues with me if that is where you want to train and get your initial private pilot license.

One of the main thing to be careful of for someone like you is to not hitch your wagon to one of the "zero to hero" schools that over promise and under deliver. Often these are guys who post on a web page a minimal price based on the minimums the FAA requires, but then turn a blind ear when you complain that it took you longer and cost you more than they posted. And frequently require large gobs of cash up front, or get you to sign a student loan document for the entire bit.

So before you go signing up for one of those, ask around. Someone somewhere might have some key information that the school in question are okay and worth dealing with, or one to stay away from.

Keep asking your questions.... and if you ever make up to the DFW area, let the gang up here know and we'll link up with you for some food, beverage, and session of "no kidding, there I was inverted, engine failing, and a cabin full of shaggy dog story telling pilots"

Sincerely,
Lisa

No, you ain't crazy!

Very feasible Lisa. I just started teaching a 48 year old woman this past weekend. She has wanted to be a pilot for a long time and is ready to do it. Somewhat of a pilot shortage forecasted for the next 15 years or so, so there will be plenty of opportunities for employment as a pilot. It's a good time to learn so do get started.

You'll save $$$ by using a local flight school vs a university program. Also consider independent instructors. You can study on your own using books or online ground training courses. Many books are free, and one good source is the FAA. Here's some that will get you started:

FAA Books:

Airplane Flying Handbook
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/

Student Pilot Guide
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/faa-h-8083-27a.p

Feel free to ask questions on here, or even PM those who you want to ask questions of. We're all internet know it alls ya know. Seriously a lot of varied experience on this crazy board. Good luck!

Thank you everyone! I looked up the medical stuff and found several doctors NOT in the Austin area! lol Looks like I would have problem obtaining the second class medical. I had my checkup just last month and all is great! I will make a call in the morning to a local flight school and make an appt for the discovery flight! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! LOVE IT....

Lisa if I could make a suggestion, before you do anything......anything, find a mentor. Find someone who knows the minefield and can help you navigate it. There are several here who I would trust with my career. Find someone who is already doing what you want to do. Either way, you can certainly do this. Good luck to you.

just-do-it-hed-2013_bd4hzj.jpg

My original CFI was a guy in his fifties who got in to flying in his fifties. He had less than 500 hours when I soloed. I was his first PPL.

I'm still alive, and he's flying charter gigs, nowadays.

Go
For
It
!!!

<rah! rah!>

Flight schools and instructors come in all kinds of different sizes and styles, from big "structured" schools with a fleet of shiny planes and a big staff, to a guy at a grass strip with a plane built in the forties.
Students are all different too, so it comes down to finding a good "match."
Are you the type of person who likes structure in education, or are you the "just give me a book and I'll read it and come with my questions" type?

In any case, keep us updated!

... and if you ever make up to the DFW area, let the gang up here know and we'll link up with you for some food, beverage, and session of "no kidding, there I was inverted, engine failing, and a cabin full of shaggy dog story telling pilots"

You forgot the part about being in the clouds, low on fuel, icing up and a dead electrical system. ;)

You forgot the part about being in the clouds, low on fuel, icing up and a dead electrical system. ;)
Shhhh! You're spoiling the climactic ending!

Isn't there someone amongst our group who is based at GTU? Maybe they can provide a referral to an AME.

I will also ask on the Texas Pilots Facebook group.

what's the end goal job? Easier to back-engineer the answer with that info imo, before you go putting cart ahead of horses and end up in debt and disappointed..

Oops.:oops:

Maybe we can add 6PC's Oshkosh arrival experience. That sounded like a horror show. :eek:
The better one was his write up of his first PnP flight with me. It's here on PoA, just search for "My flight with AggieMike"

Hey, where's that sticky re medicals/AME for fledglings?
We don't have a sticky for that yet... it I did include the consult tiny url in my first response to this thread.

Sincerely,
Lisa

Never say never! I have a friend who was a flight attendant at my airline who decided she'd rather be up front and is in training as I type. It can be done. Liberty has an interesting approach and is worth checking out. They've partnered with small flight schools around the country where you can train while pursuing their degree program. Advantage of the degree is you can get an ATP and go to the airlines on fewer others. But there are lot of other rewarding flying careers that don't require the ATP. Look at all the options. If you ever want to chat about it, I'm always available. Good luck!

Loren

Oops.:oops:

Maybe we can add 6PC's Oshkosh arrival experience. That sounded like a Sh*t show. :eek:

FIFY

Lisa, go for it. Know up front that youre probably looking at mid- to -upper 5 figures outlay before you'll ever get paid to fly. If you can lay out that kinda cash, youre good to go.

@Lisa L Fuller ... A recommendation for an AME at the Georgetown airport...

Dr Larry James. His office is at pilots choice at GTU. ‭+1 (512) 750-2623‬

Make sure to review the recommendations found in my consultation link in Post #9 above.

For whatever reason (apparently, it's incompatible with Firefox), the Designee Search comes up empty for any sort of query I tried. If FAA website continues to fail like this, Lisa might as well just call Andy Chen, 513-324-3338.

Lago Vista has an AOPA club that can set one up with independent instructors. Personally, with Georgetown so close, I'd look up a Part 61 school there (Lago doesn't have one).

The most important advice I can give is to Get. It. Done. And Quicky. Fly 3 times a week. Second most important advice is to lose weight and hit the gym. Forget cardio, learn to love the squat rack. After that, it's all in God's hands.

Last edited:
Isn't there someone amongst our group who is based at GTU? Maybe they can provide a referral to an AME.

I will also ask on the Texas Pilots Facebook group.
Many local pilots fly out of GTU. All it takes is ask. :)

I looked up the medical stuff and found several doctors NOT in the Austin area!
I just went through my medical a week ago. I found several AMEs in Austin. Are you sure your search criteria were correct?

@Lisa L Fuller ... A recommendation for an AME at the Georgetown airport...

Dr Larry James. His office is at pilots choice at GTU. ‭+1 (512) 750-2623‬

Make sure to review the recommendations found in my consultation link in Post #9 above.
I second the recommendation for Dr. James. He's a no-BS gentleman with long experience, flies cool airplanes and is very friendly.

As far as schools, be careful who you commit to. There are many schools in the area, however, not all can accommodate the new student boom due to a lack of instructors. Lots of these "CFIs" (I call them "time collectors") stay only long enough to collect their 1500 hours and they're gone in a heartbeat to push buttons in "real airplanes". :)
So my advice would be to talk to students (or local pilots) about the schools before committing.

Also, why 2nd class medical? For training, all it takes is 3rd class. You won't need 2nd class for several years until you get your Comm AMEL IR and start getting paid for flying charters.

Enjoy your training, let's hope you like it!

Also, why 2nd class medical? For training, all it takes is 3rd class. You won't need 2nd class for several years until you get your Comm AMEL IR and start getting paid for flying charters.

Because it is better to find out now if able to carry a 2nd class before all the money and time is spent..??

If you can swing it financially, buying an IFR trainer like a C172 or PA28 can be one of the cheapest ways to get it all done quickly. You can log all your time in one aircraft and, as long as you don't have any major expenses (overhauls, avionics failures, etc.) you can likely come out ahead of going to the pilot mills or rental outfits. Getting your commercial rating for essentially the cost of fuel, hangar, and maintenance is doable if you shop carefully. After you get the commercial, you can likely sell the IFR trainer for close to what you paid for it. Just a thought.

If you can swing it financially, buying an IFR trainer like a C172 or PA28 can be one of the cheapest ways to get it all done quickly. You can log all your time in one aircraft and, as long as you don't have any major expenses (overhauls, avionics failures, etc.) you can likely come out ahead of going to the pilot mills or rental outfits.

Yeah, but what if...? The FBO assumes that risk for renters. If Lisa isn't kidding around, she can do Private just under $10k and in 3 months or less. I looked at $17k 150s, it was kinda a nightmare. So, we're talking $25k airplanes at this point. If she cannot recoup at the sale time, she's taking a major blow.

Also, Lisa is in Leander. Do you have any idea how hard it is to park an airplane in Georgetown? I tried and could not do it. Just a few miles south, in Executive, they have a waiting list for spot in community hangar for $500/month.

Owning is really nice, if you're committed long term and okay with the expense. I had it with renting under the span of 3 years. But I can only see it making sense for a student who's financially secure and plans on keeping the airplane long term - possibly through an overhaul.

P.S. Maybe she can get into a club. You cannot shake a stick without hitting one around here.

Oh WOW!!! I have a lot of catching up to do. lol I am shocked and already feel so pumped. I will get busy reading all of the responses tonight.

I feel I can pass the medical examine but will make that a priority first.

DFW is my home away from home. We travel there about every 6 weeks. Just a hop up 35.

Thanks again.....

Oh WOW!!! I have a lot of catching up to do. lol I am shocked and already feel so pumped. I will get busy reading all of the responses tonight.

I feel I can pass the medical examine but will make that a priority first.

DFW is my home away from home. We travel there about every 6 weeks. Just a hop up 35.

Thanks again.....
Here's an article that includes one person going from stay-at-home mom to Skywest first officer in 25 months:
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/july/pilot/snapped-up

Back