Has the doc ever spread your cheeks during a med cert?

I'm a student pilot. While the doctor was looking for signs of a hernia (pants down), he asked me to turn around. I didn't realize I was going there. Just when I think I'm getting the "full treatment " (I'm only 34), he spreads my cheeks, takes a look , and says "ok, just doing what the FAA tells me". I was confused as to what he was looking for and researched it. I came up null. I told my CFI what happened.....he said he's never heard of that one and we had a good laugh.

Was he looking for a vile of someone else's urine??????

:hairraise:confused:nono::dunno::yikes:

You need a new dentist.

Apparently, the latest in medical thought (I go to a clinic at a teaching hospital; my doctor is 15 years old) is to not do the prostate exam (or even a PSA) unless there are other symptoms to indicate a need.

There are a lot of docs today pushing that advice/point of view saying it isn't worth the trouble.

All I can say is that I know two people who had prostate cancer that identified it through PSA screening and both firmly believe the screening saved their lives.

I've never had a DRE during a flight physical. And, if an AME offered one these days I'd ask him what he expected to find. Having had a prostatectomy in 2008 for PC (the SI is gone now :D ) there isn't one for him to check. :D:D

They're just checking for signs you've head your head up there.

That said, I've only been offered the rectal exam once and that by the only female AME I've seen. I declined. And went back to a guy.

Last edited:
They're just checking for signs you've head your head up there.

That said, I've only been offered the rectal exam once and that by the only female AME I've seen. I declined. And went back to a guy.

I prefer lady doctors precisely because they have smaller fingers.

Rich

FAA class 2 or 3, no. Military class 1, yes...with the finger. :( Military class 2, sometimes.

When I joined my Squadron as a Naval Flight Surgeon I announced at Quarters that I had both "Good" and "Bad" news. The "Good" news was that I had skinny fingers. The "bad" news was that I used several at a time...

Nobody laughed then either...

When I joined my Squadron as a Naval Flight Surgeon I announced at Quarters that I had both "Good" and "Bad" news. The "Good" news was that I had skinny fingers. The "bad" news was that I used several at a time...

Nobody laughed then either...

Well, that made me laugh...as painful as that sounds.:D

Thankfully I only got the finger maybe three times in 20 yrs.

When my AME breaks out this glove, I'm hanging up my wings.

Attachments

• $%28KGrHqQOKo8FI!E,zgP8BSFv9zl8mg~~60_57.JPG
    $%28KGrHqQOKo8FI!E,zgP8BSFv9zl8mg~~60_57.JPG
    464.9 KB · Views: 151
I've only had one AME do the rectal thing (old dude.) I've found that even with regular physicians, female doctors and PA's don't go there.

With one exception, and she was a bit of a freak. She spent so long prodding Little Arrow while he was in a state of rigor mortis that I seriously almost blasted one in her face.

Now the question is, how many PM's did you just get for who to call to schedule appointments for their next physical?

Now the question is, how many PM's did you just get for who to call to schedule appointments for their next physical?

She's since moved on to another medical group (or possibly went to work in a massage parlor) so I wouldn't be able to answer.

I've never had that by an AME, and I'm trying to remember from a year ago, but I don't think he did the, turn your head and cough" bit either. I do get a standard physical every year, which includes all of those things.

As an aside, now that everyone has insurance, expect to see fewer and fewer recommended tests as a matter of course.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back