Has anyone tried the new Bose Pro Flight in a piston plane?

NICOLAS DUPUIS

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Polguh
I figure this would be the best board to post this on ? I figured there are pilots here who have trained or are still training on SEP or turbine planes.

I want to gift my father a headset since he's an avid casual pilot. I figured getting him a Bose ProFlight 2 would be the best, since it's an high-end headset and seems much more comfortable than the one he already has, a Bose A20. It's like 1/3rd of the weight and is in ear. However, I'm not sure the noise cancellation is as good.
Question is, since he mainly flies single engine piston planes, will the noise cancellation be on par with the A20 ? Can anyone who's tested both on SEP planes tell me ? Thank you.

Aviation Consumer evaluated it about a year ago. Did not recommend for pistons or really for turboprops.

FWIW, I got rid of all of my over ear headsets about a year ago. My wife and I love these:

https://cqheadset.com

They don't weigh a thing, and sound reduction is equal to over-ear ANC models.

Baron Pilot flies with it in his Baron and seems to like it.

Reactions: YKA
I've played with a pair of the original Pro Flights a few times. The Pro Flight 2s are probably similar in terms of performance. Both are designed for turbojet flight decks.

They are not too good in noisy piston cockpits. Manageable, yes. Ideal, no. Good... debatable. I'd probably prefer a pair of passive David Clark vice clamps for short flights, and I rarely prefer that brand of headset to anything. In my subjective experience, all of their models are flat out uncomfortable.

The A20 is the superior option and the ProFlight would be somewhat of a downgrade.

I'm able to make my QC25s with the uflymike (which is my "work" headset when I'm flying bizjets) perform quite reasonably well in piston cockpits. It's noticably better at knocking down the noise than the Pro Flight. It's noticably less effective than the A20.

Other data point, I had a commercial applicant not too long ago who had the original Pro Flights. Seemed to do okay with them.

I've been using the Proflight for almost two years now, all in light piston aircraft. I like the design so much, I just traded my Series One model in for a Series Two. This said, a couple points are key. First, I can see why Bose is "cautious" about holding the PF out for use in piston aircraft. It's very important that it be set up and worn correctly. That means several things, IMO. You MUST ensure you have the correct size ear tips installed, AND you must insert them correctly, every time. Both take some time and practice (some might say, "hassle"...). Once you've got it sorted out, it's still a bit more effort to put on than an over-ear model. The other VERY IMPORTANT thing is to DESELECT THE TAP-MUTING control via the little dip switches in the battery compartment. My theory is that the loud noise when at full power (t/o, go around, etc) is enough to cause tap-muting to cut in and out uncommanded. I find it to be a useless feature anyway, so having it permanently off is no big deal. I'm careful to wear it correctly, and the Series Two, with the super light cord is, TO ME pretty close to perfect, even in a piston. Very light, crystal clear audio both ways and plenty of NR (at least for me).

You MUST ensure you have the correct size ear tips installed, AND you must insert them correctly, every time.

I have a set of Halos in ear (along with the Bose A20s), and I believe I've read that if you insert them correctly, they provide close to the same noise attenuation as an ANR headset. So you would think a pair of Bose Pro Flight if inserted correctly, since they are an ANR headset, would be just as good as the A20s.

I did not realize that anyone had a problem with the A20 in the comfort department.

After about an hour or so they start to hurt me. I was surprised. I've remarked about it before in an A20 thread.

In ear is nice, lightweight, and has two different noise cancelling levels. I mix up what I use however. Sometimes the A20 hits the roof.

So you would think a pair of Bose Pro Flight if inserted correctly, since they are an ANR headset, would be just as good as the A20s.
Sorta maybe... even ignoring the whole in vs over question, debating which headset is “best” is like debating whether chocolate ice cream is better than strawberry - it’s mostly personal. I’m sure there’s objective data to back Bose’s claim that the A20 provides more NR, than the PF. My response amounts to “so what” - both the PF1 & esp the PF2 with its far better cable, work great for me! And I’m still in the world of Warriors, 172s, Seminoles and the like. For those who’ve found A20s good & comfortable, power to you!

The only “advocacy” I’ll offer is that if anyone in piston world decides to try the PF, be sure to get a PF2! Turn Tap Muting OFF (little switch under batteries), install the right size tips, and practice putting them in right. A bit of a hassle at first, but I’m very happy with the result. YMMV!

I'll just say it, not that Bose are bad, but IMO they are over rated. Great advertising, lots of hype, but just average. After two pairs, I won't be a customer again, much prefer my lightspeed, and no wires in the way.

Lightspeed is poor design. Can't switch the mike from right to left.

Does that really matter? I've worn headsets with mics on either side, and couldn't care less.

Screenshot_20210124-153954_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210124-154009_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210124-154028_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210124-154041_Chrome.jpg

I sold my old DC's, gave away my Bose, and wouldn't ever go back to either brand after using lightspeed.

Does that really matter? I've worn headsets with mics on either side, and couldn't care less.

Yes.......but the pros do. You'll never see an airliner with the right seater wearing their headset backwards. Crews talk to each other without the cords being in the way.

Yes.......but the pros do. You'll never see an airliner with the right seater wearing their headset backwards. Crews talk to each other without the cords being in the way.

I'm talking cordless, so cords are no issue. If you get a lightspeed with a cord, then you can decide on left or right side mic.

Granted, I don’t fly an airliner, but I’ve been swapping seats for 12,000 hours and it’s never bothered to me that my cord was on the “wrong” side.

Granted, I don’t fly an airliner, but I’ve been swapping seats for 12,000 hours and it’s never bothered to me that my cord was on the “wrong” side.

Same with me the first 18 years of flying, four different headsets in those 18 years, two Bose, and two DC. Then I discovered lightspeed, and will never ever go back. But cords and mics on whatever side isn't a big deal. Then you go cordless, and it would be almost impossible to go back now.

After about 6 years of use, my Bose A20s are beginning to lose first syllable of every transmission. I had them "renewed" by Bose but no help. I'm going to try the PS2 and see how they work in the 182s and DA40 I fly regularly.

I have used both the A20 and the PF at work (737) and in GA (172/P2010)
The A20 is quiter for sure but the PF is more comfortable for me.
The noise cancelation on the PF is about the same as the A20 when you have glasses on (the seal around the ears is broken)
I did try to switch the cable from the left to the right on the PF (no tools needed) but found that the thicker cable on the 1st model kept pushing the headset away when moving my head so i kept it on the left while sitting on the right and use a clip on my right shoulder. The 2nd model does have a thinner cable between the control module and the headset but haven't tried those yet.

Unfortunately, i feel like this every time i read a discussion on headsets. Bose, Lightspeed, in the ear v over. like the old saying goes, opinions are like you know what. the problem is they are too expensive to keep buying the different types to see if they work. i guess i will remain happy enough with my a20s even though cordless sounds sooooo nice

Back