Has anyone installed the Garmin GPS 175 yet?

MGS402

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MGS402
8F672F15-425B-4FF5-9455-5E24C3C9BE98.jpeg I’d really like to install GPS into my Cessna 150 to use for my IFR training. Due to the attractive price of the unit, I am looking seriously at the new Garmin GPS 175. I have attached a pic of my current panel, so you can see what I’m working with. My existing radios work good and I installed ADS-B (SkyBeacon) in Feb, so my plan was to remove the old ADF and have the GPS 175 installed in the stack. Advice very much appreciated.

You will need another indicator with Glideslope. Factor that into the budget.

View attachment 74308 I’d really like to install GPS into my Cessna 150 to use for my IFR training. Due to the attractive price of the unit, I am looking seriously at the new Garmin GPS 175. I have attached a pic of my current panel, so you can see what I’m working with. My existing radios work good and I installed ADS-B (SkyBeacon) in Feb, so my plan was to remove the old ADF and have the GPS 175 installed in the stack. Advice very much appreciated.

As mentioned you need an indicator which costs $2500 + $4300 for the 175 + labor. As with most GPS installs, you be at $11k rather quickly. Add another $500 for hardware to download data, spare data card, and the subscription for data.

Last edited:
Well, with the 172, you can use a lot of older indicators, like the KI206, etc. Those are a lot cheaper. For a new one, Clip4 is right, you are looking at $2,500. With a new indicator you can expect $8,500. With a used one, closer to $7,000-7,500.

I've got a real nice GI106A I'd sell for $1200

You will need another indicator with Glideslope. Factor that into the budget.
What’s wrong with using the one already there, that’s talking to the (?) Narco and connect to the 175 iinstead?

What’s wrong with using the one already there, that’s talking to the (?) Narco and connect to the 175 iinstead?

It won't work. The GPS units won't talk to just any CDI.

Well, with the 172, you can use a lot of older indicators, like the KI206, etc. Those are a lot cheaper. For a new one, Clip4 is right, you are looking at $2,500. With a new indicator you can expect $8,500. With a used one, closer to $7,000-7,500.

Wouldn't there need to be budget for a NAV/GPS switch, too? I don't see anywhere on that panel to put a third indicator. I guess the other option would be to just lose the second NAV.

What about ditching the heading indicator and replace with a G5 HSI

OldPanel.jpg Panel at night.jpg Kind of like I did. instead of the garmin 175 "which wasn't around when I did this, I used a Garmin 400 waas. One show the old, the other new. Notice I have 2 CDI's now.

I'm not up to date on my regs but would you really need an additional indicator if the GPS had a built in CDI? I know my old KLN89B has a CDI page and I also have a switch to select VOR/GPS on my HSI.

I'm not up to date on my regs but would you really need an additional indicator if the GPS had a built in CDI? I know my old KLN89B has a CDI page and I also have a switch to select VOR/GPS on my HSI.
No, you can use a switch, but the existing CDI with glide-slope was not compatible with my Garmin 400, so I removed the CDI without the Glide-slope and installed another that was compatible.

No, you can use a switch, but the existing CDI with glide-slope was not compatible with my Garmin 400, so I removed the CDI without the Glide-slope and installed another that was compatible.

I guess my question was do you have to have an external CDI if the GPS has one on it's display? I know the old 430's had one. I realize in the real world there is a benefit to it but if the OP is using it for training I don't think they HAVE to install another CDI.

I guess my question was do you have to have an external CDI if the GPS has one on it's display? I know the old 430's had one. I realize in the real world there is a benefit to it but if the OP is using it for training I don't think they HAVE to install another CDI.

The Garmin STC installation manuals I'm familiar with (including the GTN) requires an external CDI for IFR cert. If installing for VFR only a CDI is not required.

Depending on how far away the radio is from the pilot's primary field of view, additional annunciators may be required for IFR installations.

I remember a course divination arrow on a horizontal scale, but nothing with course and glide-slope.

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on the 175, but am still doing the homework. On question I still have is on the Approach and LOI annunciators. The IM shows those pins as an active low output. It doesn't say what the voltage is when that pin goes inactive high, whether it's 5v, source voltage or other. The IM shows wiring to an ACU, but doesn't spec one, so is voltage sufficient to drive an LED or other stand alone annunciator light like a Staco, Vivisun or other?

Active low means there is a connection to ground when it is active. When inactive it’s open. For something like an LED, you run power to the + side of the LED and the - side to your input. When it activates it completes the circuit and the LED comes on.

OP should probably take a hard look at G5 HSI instead of spending money on 106 ...

Active low means there is a connection to ground when it is active. When inactive it’s open. For something like an LED, you run power to the + side of the LED and the - side to your input. When it activates it completes the circuit and the LED comes on.

Ah ha, lightbulb goes on! (No pun intended). That clears that up nicely. Thanks, Jesse!

Another 175 install question. In my current setup, the KI 525A resolver is connected to an SL30, and the SL30 sends that data digitally to the GX via RS232. Since the SL30 and 175 don't speak, I'm assuming the KI 525A resolver must be connected to the proper leads on the 175. Can this be paralleled to both the SL 30 nav and 175, or does this need to be switched as well?

Thank you for the info provided. Update, as I have removed the ADF to make room for a GPS (still thinking the 175), but trying to decide what indicator best fits my needs & budget. I've also heard "internet rumors" that something new from Garmin might be released at OshKosh this summer so waiting to see what transpires. Current indicator options (in order of ascending price) are to either install a used GI-106A, new GI-106B, or a G5 DG/HSI. I'd really like the G5 HSI but have been informed by an avionics installer that it costs nearly $6k installed, which would likely drive the GPS install price above $12k ($6.5k for GPS175 and $6k for G5 HSI)....also knowing if I get that far into a panel upgrade that I'd likely convince myself to remove vacuum system and add a 2nd G5, so more $$$. With it being a C150, I find it somewhat difficult to weigh the options, knowing what add pilot usefulness while also considering impacts on future value. Possibly for now due to budget, maybe best to just pickup a GI-106A and next year tackle a dual G5/Vacuum removal. Thoughts appreciated.

Thank you for the info provided. Update, as I have removed the ADF to make room for a GPS (still thinking the 175), but trying to decide what indicator best fits my needs & budget. I've also heard "internet rumors" that something new from Garmin might be released at OshKosh this summer so waiting to see what transpires. Current indicator options (in order of ascending price) are to either install a used GI-106A, new GI-106B, or a G5 DG/HSI. I'd really like the G5 HSI but have been informed by an avionics installer that it costs nearly $6k installed, which would likely drive the GPS install price above $12k ($6.5k for GPS175 and $6k for G5 HSI)....also knowing if I get that far into a panel upgrade that I'd likely convince myself to remove vacuum system and add a 2nd G5, so more $$$. With it being a C150, I find it somewhat difficult to weigh the options, knowing what add pilot usefulness while also considering impacts on future value. Possibly for now due to budget, maybe best to just pickup a GI-106A and next year tackle a dual G5/Vacuum removal. Thoughts appreciated.

If that is your path I would probably ask the shop to add the two ARINC 429 and 1 RS232 cables needed that the G5 HSI/ADI systems will use, its super easy to cap & stow these wires for future use, and its less work to put them in during initial radio install than later.

I highly doubt you'll lose money on a GI106A if you resell it yourself.

Don't forget that the G5 HSI can only be connected to one box, and it must be a Garmin/Apollo box. If hooked to a GPS 175 it will only ever display GPS, any other nav will need its own CDI. (The G5 system is physically capable of displaying two separate boxes but when installed per FAA approval it is limited to one radio.)

I know it’s late in this thread, but FYI, his indicator should be compatible with the unit.

Does your area have plenty of VOR/ILS options for approaches, or is getting GPS approaches critical to your training plan?

You might do your entire rating as configured for less than the cost of a GPS. We are talking a 150, right?

There must be a CDI near the primary flight instruments. I forget the exact measurement, but, for example in a Grumman, the radio stack is too far from the center of the panel in front of the pilot to qualify. I had to put a GI-106A just to the left of the radio stack for my GNS-430W, and it barely qualifies for proper distance. When my G5s go in later this year, I'll be able to remove (as I understand) the GI-106A and the "indicator" will be on the AI and/or HSI, which will actually be much easier on the IFR scan.

Any idea if the gnc 355 will be available for purchase and installation by an a/p, instead of garmin dealer network similar to the 175?

Any idea if the gnc 355 will be available for purchase and installation by an a/p, instead of garmin dealer network similar to the 175?

Yes, this can be purchased by anyone and installed by non-garmin dealers

View attachment 74308 I’d really like to install GPS into my Cessna 150 to use for my IFR training. Due to the attractive price of the unit, I am looking seriously at the new Garmin GPS 175. I have attached a pic of my current panel, so you can see what I’m working with. My existing radios work good and I installed ADS-B (SkyBeacon) in Feb, so my plan was to remove the old ADF and have the GPS 175 installed in the stack. Advice very much appreciated.
To answer your question, yes I have installed a GPS175. (In my T-182) So far it is VFR, as I need to get my eBay acquired Mid-Continent VOR/LOC/GS indicator installed in place of my 2nd Cessna VFR/LOC indicator. The avionics shop is booked solid putting in ADS-B installs, so I must wait. Found a great price on the GPS (under 4 grand) and got the used indicator for about $1250 (eBay). Was quoted install price of about 1500 or so, so the total won’t be near what some others are guessing at. Love it so far. Won’t need an annunciator since indicator is right in front on the panel. Waiting is tough...

To answer your question, yes I have installed a GPS175. (In my T-182) So far it is VFR, as I need to get my eBay acquired Mid-Continent VOR/LOC/GS indicator installed in place of my 2nd Cessna VFR/LOC indicator. The avionics shop is booked solid putting in ADS-B installs, so I must wait. Found a great price on the GPS (under 4 grand) and got the used indicator for about $1250 (eBay). Was quoted install price of about 1500 or so, so the total won’t be near what some others are guessing at. Love it so far. Won’t need an annunciator since indicator is right in front on the panel. Waiting is tough...
where did you get the 175?

Got a pic?

Don’t know how I got 2 pics there....oh well, sorry

Back