Has anyone heard from the "Eggman"?

I guess he doesn't have much to say these days.
I don't blame him after some of the things that were said to him in the past.
Yeah he’s sort of a cool dude and straight up…I would love to meet him one day see the operation first hand. I have found all his posts educational and informative.

He's gotta be ****ting kittens right now. Bird flu is epidemic here and just about everywhere. I'm certain he's sweating it hard. I agree, I've always enjoyed his commentary. The one thing I can promise you all is there will be an end for now. Bird flu comes and goes. Problem is it's transmitted by wild birds, so it'll never end completely.

I’m here, and certainly haven’t been away because of any posts here.

Let’s see….

1. Completed an acquisition in early Dec ‘21 that added to our production in Washington and Oregon. Learning how to operate animal ag in blue states has been . . . Interesting.

2. Tornadoes in mid Dec 2021 essentially destroyed two of our farms. Very unpleasant circumstances for our team, the affected animals in our care, and to a much lesser extent our customers.

3. Survived my second bout of Covid in March, three weeks after getting my third jab. Grr. Could’ve done without the down time.

3. As HPAI started impacting egg farms in the US this spring we’ve been playing a constant game of catch-up as an industry trying to keep product on the shelves. Thankfully we’re not also dealing with a labor crisis, high grain prices, and a crazy inflationary environment.

4. We are switching our production model away from conventional and into cage free, free range, and organic as the market and customers are demanding. The capital and financial implications are beyond massive and we’ve had to get creative.

5. I had bariatric surgery in May. Having too much fun and decided I wanted to live as long and full a life as possible. Worked with a medical team for about a year before the surgery and it has gone very well as I’ve added nearly 100 lbs to my useful load and still falling. Swimming is good for the body and soul, btw.

6. Conquest is under contract to be sold. I finally had to admit that flying myself for business just isn’t the right thing anymore. I’ve been the GIB for many business flights and am currently looking for something to own and fly for personal fights. I’m probably going to buy a 421 for a few years and then look at something in a SETP. I haven’t come to terms yet though about giving up on doing the ATP and owning a citation for a few years. Just because that itch might have to be scratched before I hang up my spurs.

7. The kids are 20, 18, 16, 14, and 12. Two are in college now and the others are constantly busy. These are really fun years, but my next free weekend is in 2024.

Long way of saying I’m stupid busy, loving life, not posting much here, but usually stay current.

Xoxo,

Eggman

Oh, we lost a farm to AI in late October and another in early November. If any of you couldn’t find eggs at a certain big box store in the Midwest right before Thanksgiving it was my fault. Good times.

He's gotta be ****ting kittens right now. Bird flu is epidemic here and just about everywhere. I'm certain he's sweating it hard. I agree, I've always enjoyed his commentary. The one thing I can promise you all is there will be an end for now. Bird flu comes and goes. Problem is it's transmitted by wild birds, so it'll never end completely.

In the outbreak in 2015 APHIS estimated over 80% of the infections were horizontal, or farm to farm. This time it is estimated to be under 20%. The number of species as carriers and the prevalence in the environment are terrifying. It seems like we've hopefully learned and implemented the lessons from 2015 on good farm to farm biosecurity, but the novel introductions continue. I think we have wild bird detections of this lineage in 46 states now, and this is backed up by the number of backyard flocks impacted nationwide this year. It is staggering.

I had eggs this morning, if that helps any

6. Conquest is under contract to be sold. I finally had to admit that flying myself for business just isn’t the right thing anymore. I’ve been the GIB for many business flights and am currently looking for something to own and fly for personal fights. I’m probably going to buy a 421 for a few years and then look at something in a SETP. I haven’t come to terms yet though about giving up on doing the ATP and owning a citation for a few years. Just because that itch might have to be scratched before I hang up my spurs.
If it makes you feel any better I am doing likewise for my Mooney. My finances are a wreck and my eyesight is declining, so out of GA I go. I fly eyesight ever gets fixed and my finances improve I'll try and get back in, but we'll see. I don't have the words to tell anyone how much I will miss my Mooney.

Long way of saying I’m stupid busy, loving life, not posting much here, but usually stay current.
Your update is much appreciated.
If any of you couldn’t find eggs at a certain big box store in the Midwest right before Thanksgiving it was my fault.
There were several weeks back then where Costco’s shelves were completely empty.

Very glad you are alive and kicking, James_Dean. I also enjoy your posts and find the information you share very worthwhile and interesting.
Sorry life is chaotic and wishing you the best...

Nice to get an update. Let me know if you need an IPC :)

Thanks for the update…recovering from a total hip replacement last week…made me smile through the pain…

Ill pile on and say, I do/did enjoy the posts. Very educational and easy to read through.

I have so much to say…but I can’t. Good to see you are careing for yourself. Trust me you can gain that weight back if you don’t exercise and cut out snacking. Raises hand….I’m there.

1. Completed an acquisition in early Dec ‘21 that added to our production in Washington and Oregon. Learning how to operate animal ag in blue states has been . . . Interesting.
I'm hosting a visit from a friend this month - his organization is "quietly departing" some areas, and he's scouting, etc. The tactic appears to be to open a new location, gradually migrate functions to the new place, and shift staffing away from the "legacy" settings. . . that's probably as specific as I can get here. . .

Denver area - limited eggs. Quite a strange sight to see empty shelves.

Back