Has Anyone Bought or Sold a 182 In The Last Year?

Like others have mentioned, trying to time the market usually results in further anguish and no asset purchase. I thought I bought my house at the top of the market as I was sweating bullets signing closing docs, but now it’s gained about 100k in equity in 3 years. So you may be better off just buying the plane you want now and enjoying it. Sure prices may go down but I doubt it. Level off more likely.

I own a 182R and follow the market religiously. You're not getting a nice R for under $150k these days

A while ago C-172 values were fast outpacing just about everything else. I was seriously considering trading up from my C-172N/180hp to a PA-32, at a time when I could get a nice older Six for very little more than what my 172 was worth. No more. PA-32 prices have jumped in the last few months.

I was looking at 182s the other day and was surprised to see so many RG models at the cheap end of the range, even those with modest hours (3500).
Yep. I think they would be a great buy now. From talking with a few clients recently, they seem to fall into no-mans-land. Not a trainer but still old and unsexy compared to a Cirrus, who’s demographic is youngish and relatively well off. They want the latest bells and whistles and not an old 6 pack with tired gear/power pack and interior. I had a guy who totaled his 182RG on a gear collapse(not his fault) say that his wife doesn’t want another RG, she wants a Cirrus now. The people I do know that are buying RGs this year are A&Ps and aviation industry vets who’ve been around the block a few times. C-210s seems to be a decent buy now too, even ones with the spar AD compliance done.

I was looking at 182s the other day and was surprised to see so many RG models at the cheap end of the range, even those with modest hours (3500).
Our club just repaired landing gear somethings on the clubs 182 rg. Used salvage parts to keep price down - it still cost $40,000.

That and maybe a few other things make the 182 rg prices good.

182 market has effectively doubled in price from 4 years ago. It's been trending up 20% a year, worse for the 172s.
And interestingly Textron stock is flat over the same period.

Our club just repaired landing gear somethings on the clubs 182 rg. Used salvage parts to keep price down - it still cost $40,000.

That and maybe a few other things make the 182 rg prices good.

Good on ya for speaking the quiet parts out loud.

Imagine now facing that expense (for mere subcomponent(s) that doesn't impact resale/recovery to the degree an engine does) as a sole owner. No thanks. The math on some of these legacy RGs just doesn't pencil out anymore. Those are "revenue-aircraft" pricing structures.

Imagine now facing that expense (for mere subcomponent(s) that doesn't impact resale/recovery to the degree an engine does) as a sole owner. No thanks. The math on some of these legacy RGs just doesn't pencil out anymore. Those are "revenue-aircraft" pricing structures.

Sez the man with a Piper Arrow, LOL. :D

I don't mind the Piper gear we both have. It's those heron-legged Cessna's with their delicate mechanisms, and "no braking while turning" cautions that frighten me off. :p

Definitely not enough of a speed difference between the FG 182s and the NA R182s to make it worth it. The TR182s are pretty decent performers, but that adds another expense to the equation.

There are a couple of factors that I think are driving used airplane prices. First one, and the 500 pound gorilla is the low production numbers for the last 40 years. If you look at the GAMA Annual report, you'll see that since 1982, the average number of piston airplanes delivered by U. S. makers is maybe 1500 units per year. Compare that to the 1960s and 1970s where the average was closer to 10,000. Second one, which can be found in the FAA Airmen Statistics, is that the number of sport, private, and commercial pilots has stopped declining. Third one, and I don't have data to support this, is that I suspect the size of the genuinely airworthy production fleet is shrinking, with the exception of Cirrus. Some airplanes get crashed, some get destroyed in storms, some get exported, and more than a few get left out to rot. Last one, and the one we see here, is that there are a few aircraft types that are market favorites: Cessna 172 and 182, Bonanza, and Tiger come to mind.

I'm not sure why the market has heated up lately, maybe the coronavirus has triggered a YOLO moment in lot of those who were thinking about getting their private ticket. As far as flying activity goes, the best proxy I can think of for the number of hours flown is avgas consumption, which you can find here. It's down fairly significantly since Covid hit us in March, down by almost a quarter from last year.

And interestingly Textron stock is flat over the same period.

Clearly they should have started a rocket division, promoted solar panel tiles for hangar roofing, developed a Citation concept that can fly to Mars, launched a Bonanza into space with a mannequin pilot, converted the 172 to batteries and installed SuperChargers at every airport.

Just imagine where their stock would be...:rolleyes:

I see plane ownership surging for same reason RV sales are through the roof, house prices are up, home renovation is white hot, etc. People are spending more time at home, looking for something to do in their "new environment".

People are willing to pay alot of money to burn alot of fuel to still go slow.

I don't know that it's just 182's though, it seems the "trainer" planes are sky high now too. Lower end Cherokees have climbed significantly, to where 172's used to be a few years ago. 172's are where comparably equipped/condition 182's were a few years ago, etc.

It seems like the baby Beeches and the AA1/AA5 have avoided the recent frenzy though.

Cessna 182s will not go down in price. There are fewer of them every day and the stock market keeps going up.
What I recommend is (I did this a year ago when I bought mine):
- check the ads daily and assume the asking price will be the sale price
- when you find a plane you like, call and claim the first spot in line
- take a mechanic with you (or find one there) to do a pre-buy
- after you are happy with the pre-buy, ask if they are willing to go lower
- if they dont (likely not, because there will be several other people who are ready to pounce), buy the plane
- enjoy the smile on your face for years to come (money cannot do that)

Spot on. The fleet is shrinking and the 182 is a highly desirable plane. There are lots of these planes suffering from poor maintenance, years of coffee shop annuals, deteriorating ramp rats, and escalation of parts pricing. Some old planes are worth more in parts than as an airworthy airplane. All of this drives the foundation for pricing upwards. It's clear Vref is not keeping pace.

Planes that are still in production have a bit of a premium as there is still factory support for critical components. 172/182/206's can be repaired on nearly any airfield with good stocking of parts and knowledgeable mechanics. I've witnessed several instances in the past 2 years of guys arguing bidding up prices for pristine aircraft.

Well cared for 182's with mid-time engines are selling for low 6 figures. Pretty common to see mid 6 figures for new quality paint, modern avionics, good pedigree. Certain STC's drive that price still higher like P.Ponk engine, Turbo normalized, STOL kit, etc.

It's clear Vref is not keeping pace.

Vref IS backward looking, but it's also possible (probable) that people are not getting what they're asking for airplanes.

Vref IS backward looking, but it's also possible (probable) that people are not getting what they're asking for airplanes.
Planes are selling for record prices and I believe Vref has a slow state of change in rapidly evolving markets. I've seen with both down turns ans upswings.

Nice planes are selling very fast for record prices. Vref is only as good as those who volunteer to submit actual sales values. Too many believe their plane is wonderful, even if it has poor maintenance or upgrade history. Those planes languish. In the past month 3 friends my mine have sold very nice planes within a week for cash. In all three cases they pushed the market with pricing with an attitude "if you're willing to pay $X, I'll sell", expecting not to sell. Multiple buyers came forward. These planes all had mid-time engines, great paint, new interiors, and fully modern panels.

I guess I can't doubt that. I have the cash and asked the wife about buying about 2 years ago and she said no. I should know by now that's the sure fire sign that prices are going to skyrocket. We did the same when older Porsche 911s were in the 25-30k range, when bitcoin was at $3000, when Apple was at $8, and when Tesla was at $100.

I would quit listening to her but the consequences there are more painful.

That's what I'm counting on. I figure it'll take about 2 years before it all comes to a head. Keeping my cash parked until then.

It's a very in-demand airplane. I've heard it said that "nobody sells a 182", which is an obvious exaggeration but you get the idea.
G
Nobody "sells" a 182, but they do die, and that that point, they don't have a say anymore. Someone needs to make a list of all the registered owners and their ages, ranked from oldest to youngest. You could cold call the oldest owners and find the ones that lost their medical.

I guess I can't doubt that. I have the cash and asked the wife about buying about 2 years ago and she said no. I should know by now that's the sure fire sign that prices are going to skyrocket.

Same. 2yrs ago I could afford an 80s 182, 1yr ago a 70s model, today something from the 60s. Heck, I wanted a 205 but those planes have gone completely parabolic...

How many people have million dollar mortgages?!

Back