Harry Potter

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Is anyone, besides myself, pysch'ed that the movie is coming out on Wednesday????

Book 7 in 11 more days. Hmm 7-11, something magical about that! :redface::redface::rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

I'm looking forward to it, though I haven't seen the 4th movie yet. My better half and I just borrowed it from her parents, so we'll probably see it tonight.

yes looking forward to it. Leah gave me the first book to read about 6 months ago. im going to try to finish it this week, too many airplane books got in the way. we see the new movie on friday night at the IMAX dome. cant wait!

yes looking forward to it. Leah gave me the first book to read about 6 months ago. im going to try to finish it this week, too many airplane books got in the way. we see the new movie on friday night at the IMAX dome. cant wait!

I actually had a difficult time getting into the first book. About halfway through before I started liking it. But once through that one I ended up reading the 2nd on the plane from ORD to Honolulu, finished the third one later that same week and got most of the 4th read on the flight back from Honolulu.

Books 1 and 2 are, by far, her most primitive works. Book 2, to this day, ticks me off with the lame Deus ex Machina ending. At least with book 3 and beyond, she laid a foundation for whatever it is that gets Harry out of what he was stuck in. (Well, better than she did for the sorting hat with a *SWORD* in it...)

Yea, I'm a Potter nut. I'll be seeing it at midnight.

yawell Im one of "those" people who just watch the movie and dont read the books. not for long though

yawell Im one of "those" people who just watch the movie and dont read the books. not for long though
Me too, though I've been meaning to read the books for a while. Scott makes it sound as if they're quick reads, despite their length. (Of course, he was probably sitting in the back of a meeting reading them! :D:yes::goofy:)

Me too, though I've been meaning to read the books for a while. Scott makes it sound as if they're quick reads, despite their length. (Of course, he was probably sitting in the back of a meeting reading them! :D:yes::goofy:)

Airplane!

The first two are pretty quick. But the third is longer as is the 4th. When you get to the 4th you are really starting to dig into the subplots as it has become clear that there is a lot of information there. I went back and reread book 5 a couple of months ago in anticipation of the movie coming out and caught a couple of things that I had missed.

I have read every book except number 2 multiple times. Multiple as in more than 3 times. Chamber of Secrets, book 2, I have only read twice. I went back and read it after the Half Blood Prince as it also covered some of Tom Marvolo Riddle's history.

Who is Harry Potter?

I am telling Ginny to hit you with a bat-bogey hex! :mad:

I'm just sayin'...:dunno:

I don't get it. The series is OK I suppose, but I've read better. Much better.

This one for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Is_Rising

By the way they are coming out with a movie version of The Dark is Rising in October, with Ian McShane :yes: Hopefully they do a better job than the lackluster attempt at putting TLTWATW on the big screen.

Last edited:
Girl I met the other night wants to see the 12:01 am showing on Wednesday morning. Then, after my daughter finishes reading the next book, I'll read it.

Is it bad I want to watch it just to see Tonks?

Tonksmovie.JPG

Is anyone, besides myself, pysch'ed that the movie is coming out on Wednesday????

Book 7 in 11 more days. Hmm 7-11, something magical about that! :redface::redface::rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

I am. I do go see all of the movies, but I like the books much better. And yes, they are easy reading and not very life-changing, but they are entertaining. My life needs entertaining. Lots of it. :p

Harry Potter is a fictional literary character. Originally created by the auther as spoken bedtime stories for her children, she wrote the stories into some books that were incredibly popular and eventually made into movies. Harry is a wizard who was orphaned as an infant when his parents were killed. He was raised by non-wizard (muggle) parents, and was discovered by some other wizards who took him to a boarding school for young wizards to learn their craft. Each book/movie covers a year of school. It sounds cheesey, but really, the books and movies are great for children and parents alike, though the movies might be a bit scary for some younger kids.

Hope that helps to clear it up.

Harry Potter is a fictional literary character. Originally created by the auther as spoken bedtime stories for her children,

Not sure where you heard that but it does not jive with anything else I have read about how she came to develop the character.

Wiki said:
In 1990, J. K. Rowling was on a crowded train from Manchester to London when the idea for Harry simply "popped" into her head. Rowling gives an account of the experience on her website saying:[8]
“ I had been writing almost continuously since the age of six but I had never been so excited about an idea before. I simply sat and thought, for four (delayed train) hours, and all the details bubbled up in my brain, and this scrawny, black-haired, bespectacled boy who didn't know he was a wizard became more and more real to me.

At that time she had no children. Her first was in 1992 or 1993 and the book was published in 1995 so I don't think she had them as bed time stories then.

Last edited:
Oh, well I could be wrong (it's happened once before ;) ), that's just what I'd heard. Regardless of when she came up with it, the rest is accurate, to my knowledge.

But she is now (one of?) the richest authors alive, so she must be doing something right!

purple.jpg

I would have made a beter Tonks!:D Since my hair was really purple at one time. My stupid work won't let me have it purple anymore!:mad: I have 12 bottles of purple hair dye waiting to be used. Sigh.

A little background. Originally she was contracted to write 7 books (one for each year till Harry turns 18). There is NOTHING to say she won't write more, her contract is just "up" now.
The current book was finished SEVERAL months ago, so it could be ready for book stands in July.
I produce children's books and Harry Potter is one of our 'staples".
Since she is one of the richest women in the world now (due to a GREAT agent) this very well could be the last book though.
It is a great story and fun to read, buy the paper back versions so I can live in the manner I am accustomed to. LOL

Mark B

purple.jpg

I would have made a beter Tonks!:D Since my hair was really purple at one time. My stupid work won't let me have it purple anymore!:mad: I have 12 bottles of purple hair dye waiting to be used. Sigh.

*whistles*

Yep, would watch a movie for you too. :D

(And I'd say that's a perfect mischievous Tonks smirk there.)

It could be a few months after the book comes out before I can read it. I fear hearing spoilers in the meantime. I might have to bury my head in sand for awhile.

It could be a few months after the book comes out before I can read it. I fear hearing spoilers in the meantime. I might have to bury my head in sand for awhile.

Spoiler: The last word in the last book is "scar".

Completely ruins it for you, doesn't it? ;)

Spoiler: The last word in the last book is "scar".

Completely ruins it for you, doesn't it? ;)

BBBZZZZZAAAAAPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

WRONG, you are just so far behind. See this is why I listen to Muggle Cast and read Mugglenet.com web page everyday :yes::yes::yes::yes:

When asked about whether "scar" was the last word in the book as had been reported, she said: "Scar? It was so for ages, and now it's not. Scar is quite near the end, but it's not the last word."

http://mugglenet.com/app/news/show/1055

I geeked out didn't I :redface::redface::redface::redface: ????

Books 1 and 2 are, by far, her most primitive works. Book 2, to this day, ticks me off with the lame Deus ex Machina ending. At least with book 3 and beyond, she laid a foundation for whatever it is that gets Harry out of what he was stuck in. (Well, better than she did for the sorting hat with a *SWORD* in it...)

Yea, I'm a Potter nut. I'll be seeing it at midnight.

I actually like that books one and two are a bit more primative, she was not writing for adults, she was writing for 7-8 yr olds. I like it that she got lots of 7 & 8 yr olds hooked with the first two books so they were waiting in line for books 3 & 4 which are quite a bit larger. Nothing like seeing a little kid toat around a book as thick as their arm. : )

I thought Tonks would have been a little more chubby according to her description in the book. It'll be interesting to see what Luna Lovegood looks like. Also, in the trailer, Deloris Umbridge looks much better than I imagined her from the book, like a toad with a bow. They should have used Condi Rice for Umbridge.:D :D

I thought Tonks would have been a little more chubby according to her description in the book. It'll be interesting to see what Luna Lovegood looks like. Also, in the trailer, Deloris Umbridge looks much better than I imagined her from the book, like a toad with a bow. They should have used Condi Rice for Umbridge.:D :D

I have seen some of the preview and Luna is perfectly cast!

Umbridge was supposed to be as wide as tall so Condi probably would not have been a good choice. Imelda Staunton sounds and acts the part even if she does not look it.

Back