Harrison Ford doin' some bush landings

Hell, at least he hit the right airport, not that I've ever landed at the wrong airport or anything.....

"Arguably, the public spokesperson for GA needs to be held to an even higher standard - he represents all of our interests."

The boner landing, radio calls, etc.

I never asked nor agreed to have him "represent" me in any way. You?

I don't think it's a generalization, it's facts. He stumbled around his radio calls, he called the wrong tower, and he landed on the wrong taxiway. The combination of things show a pattern.
Which taxiway should he have landed on, and what other statements have you made that might "show a pattern"?

Looking at the video again, he probably does just pass over it. So many here have said that just the presence of the jet should have triggered a go around, but I'm not so sure. As he approaches the jet is to the left and still moving. But if you believe you are lined up for the right runway, the jet would just be approaching where you would expect the hold short line to be and expecting him to stop. It looks like that about the time he realized, "hey, wait, that guy didn't stop", he just about past him, so still in belief that he was in the right and the other guy screwed up, there really wasn't any reason to go around at that point.

Which taxiway should he have landed on, and what other statements have you made that might "show a pattern"?
LOL, can't argue with that. I will surrender my keyboard license immediately, pending follow-on typing lessons.

Yes he did.... and I guess AOPA will move him from the membership drive ads to the Legal Assistance ads...

I realize your comment is tongue-in-cheek, but this could be a good springboard for emphasizing the importance of SA, etc.; even more than the rusty pilot program.

He probably already did. It's everyone else who wants to make his business their business it seems.

He knows he screwed up, there's no denying that. He's obviously smart enough not to comment publicly until he has resolved whatever the FAA has in store for him. He's too public of a figure for him not to address it eventually.

I don't think anyone is claiming that he didn't screw up. It's just the people who can't understand why it happened, and think something similar could never happen to them...

We didn't have to. He just is, whether we agreed to it or not.

Pffft. Nope. Harrison flies his planes and I fly mine. Pretending he's some sort of spokesman for GA is just a continuation of the retarded celebrity worship the country is so enamored with.

See: Oscars, since that's supposedly a thing this weekend. (Especially if you want to watch some real retards on TV. No place better to do it.)

I wouldn't say anything was sitting in his way. He failed to follow an ATC instruction, and for that he should be sanctioned. But nothing he did was inherently dangerous. I assume we've all landed over other aircraft and in the vicinity of other aircraft. And the taxiway, while not approved in this situation, was perfectly adequate for the operation.

I trained out of and fly out of SNA all of the time. I'm very familiar with the airport. How can you say there was nothing in his way? The centerline of the taxiway he landed on is bisecting the 737 practically down the middle when he's approaching it. Imagine he was lined up correctly and the 737 was in the same position but on the runway. It would be covering the numbers.

I don't think anyone is claiming that he didn't screw up. It's just the people who can't understand why it happened, and think something similar could never happen to them...

Yup, never a taxiway, but I know I've started to line up on on the wrong runway before I caught myself. Seen other pro pilots do the same as well as one who lined up for a closed airport and I had to point out the one we were supposed to be landing at.

Don't kid yourselves folks, it can happen to anyone under the right circumstances.

Pffft. Nope. Harrison flies his planes and I fly mine. Pretending he's some sort of spokesman for GA is just a continuation of the retarded celebrity worship the country is so enamored with.

See: Oscars, since that's supposedly a thing this weekend. (Especially if you want to watch some real retards on TV. No place better to do it.)

Nate, no disagreement on the retarded celeb worship, but you're missing my point. The public perception is there, everyone knows he's a pilot and flies small planes around. I'm not pretending he's a spokesperson for GA. He IS. That's a fact. He's all over the mags, doing interviews, documentaries, etc. I respect you, but you claiming that he's not a spokesperson is like claiming Trump is not the president. Hell he is/was the "national spokesman" for the GA Serves America campaign...

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...arrison-ford-receives-aviations-highest-award

So yes, there is more negative impact to GA by him messing up vs. a no namer. Do you or I care that he's a celeb - nope. As you mention, he flies his, and we fly ours. But I'm pointing out the ACTUAL position that he holds is not some phantom display of worship that places him there only in imaginations.

Nate, no disagreement on the retarded celeb worship, but you're missing my point. The public perception is there, everyone knows he's a pilot and flies small planes around. I'm not pretending he's a spokesperson for GA. He IS. That's a fact. He's all over the mags, doing interviews, documentaries, etc. I respect you, but you claiming that he's not a spokesperson is like claiming Trump is not the president. Hell he is/was the "national spokesman" for the GA Serves America campaign...

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...arrison-ford-receives-aviations-highest-award

So yes, there is more negative impact to GA by him messing up vs. a no namer. Do you or I care that he's a celeb - nope. As you mention, he flies his, and we fly ours. But I'm pointing out the ACTUAL position that he holds is not some phantom display of worship that places him there only in imaginations.

Still don't care. What "the public" thinks is rarely of interest to anyone other than the media, who've been anti-GA for so long, it doesn't matter in the slightest. Every light aircraft is a "death trap" and we're all going to die, and that hasn't changed since I've held a ticket to play.

Harrison didn't fix that, nor even make a dent in it, and if the "public" thinks gliding safely over the top of an airliner is something "dangerous", it doesn't matter how many celebs the industry calls their "spokesperson".

There's celebs that fly as much or even more than Ford does, not many, but some, and they just go flying and see no need to feed the media circus. They're probably the ones who have it right -- by becoming some sort of spokesperson, you're guaranteeing that someday when you DO make a mistake (because everyone makes mistakes) that jackass media will jump on it like a pack a jackals for ratings.

Guaranteed. It can NOT be avoided in the current view of the world by "the public" who's been carefully brainwashed to have a negative emotional reaction to everything to do with GA and even airliners since I was a kid learning to fly.

For cripes sakes, whole airliners full of idiots APPLAUD after a 20,000 hour pilot up front lands the thing in mild turbulence. Every single time. People are that brainwashed to be scared.

There's no amount of celeb aviators saying nice things about GA that can fix that. Every successful forced landing is still described with scary superlatives to keep the bored viewer tuned in to see the next car commercial and pharmaceutical they need to "ask their doctor about"... because you know, Doctors don't know anything about prescriptions. LOL.

I trained out of and fly out of SNA all of the time. I'm very familiar with the airport. How can you say there was nothing in his way? The centerline of the taxiway he landed on is bisecting the 737 practically down the middle when he's approaching it. Imagine he was lined up correctly and the 737 was in the same position but on the runway. It would be covering the numbers.
It looked like the 737 was just starting to cross. But he cleared it by what, 50-75'? He'd have had to dive at it to hit it.

It looked like the 737 was just starting to cross. But he cleared it by what, 50-75'? He'd have had to dive at it to hit it.

True. Contrary to breathless news reporters, he was never in danger of hitting the 737. Heck, I overfly cars on the road at the approach of my home airport with roughly the same margins.

Even when you land correctly on 20L at John Wayne, you're coming fairly close to the jets on those transverse taxiways, albeit not flying over them. I think the real threat is a terrorist who somehow commandeers a GA plane and intentionally flies it into a 737 loaded with fuel and passengers. A scary thought, but in this crazy world it could happen.

Still don't care. What "the public" thinks is rarely of interest to anyone other than the media, who've been anti-GA for so long, it doesn't matter in the slightest. Every light aircraft is a "death trap" and we're all going to die, and that hasn't changed since I've held a ticket to play.

Harrison didn't fix that, nor even make a dent in it, and if the "public" thinks gliding safely over the top of an airliner is something "dangerous", it doesn't matter how many celebs the industry calls their "spokesperson".

There's celebs that fly as much or even more than Ford does, not many, but some, and they just go flying and see no need to feed the media circus. They're probably the ones who have it right -- by becoming some sort of spokesperson, you're guaranteeing that someday when you DO make a mistake (because everyone makes mistakes) that jackass media will jump on it like a pack a jackals for ratings.

Guaranteed. It can NOT be avoided in the current view of the world by "the public" who's been carefully brainwashed to have a negative emotional reaction to everything to do with GA and even airliners since I was a kid learning to fly.

For cripes sakes, whole airliners full of idiots APPLAUD after a 20,000 hour pilot up front lands the thing in mild turbulence. Every single time. People are that brainwashed to be scared.

There's no amount of celeb aviators saying nice things about GA that can fix that. Every successful forced landing is still described with scary superlatives to keep the bored viewer tuned in to see the next car commercial and pharmaceutical they need to "ask their doctor about"... because you know, Doctors don't know anything about prescriptions. LOL.

LOL Nate, well, no argument there, I agree with all of that. I don't care either. My point was only that he IS a spokesperson, and the amount of questions I've also fielded at work on this happening is ridiculous (our office is 5 min drive from SNA). Dangerous? Not really, we all know that. Screwed up? Yes. Did it help GA image? No. (to your point, everyone 'hates' GA anyway...although those I've given rides to especially from work now see the light!)

Hell, at least he hit the right airport, not that I've ever landed at the wrong airport or anything.....

Anything is possible, but if you are a surgeon you try to operate on the correct leg, on the correct person, and if you are a pilot you try to land on the correct runway, in the correct airport.

Cheers

Anything is possible, but if you are a surgeon you try to operate on the correct leg, on the correct person, and if you are a pilot you try to land on the correct runway, in the correct airport.

Cheers

Or a runway that you were cleared to land on! Not a taxiway.

Good Grief, you guys are still yapping about this?

I am an old fart with many years of flying and have made bigger mistakes than Mr. Ford. The difference is I am a nobody and didn't have to endure boob newspeople. And if those critics here think you will never make a mistake in the air, you are delusional.

As one inferred, it happened, get over it and move on.

Kevin

Good Grief, you guys are still yapping about this?

I am an old fart with many years of flying and have made bigger mistakes than Mr. Ford. The difference is I am a nobody and didn't have to endure boob newspeople. And if those critics here think you will never make a mistake in the air, you are delusional.

As one inferred, it happened, get over it and move on.

Kevin
Okay, I had to laugh when I noticed the last post before yours was last Wednesday. You brought the subject back up today and are complaining that people are still yapping about it! Seems like you're the one still bringing it up. ;)

Okay, I had to laugh when I noticed the last post before yours was last Wednesday. You brought the subject back up today and are complaining that people are still yapping about it! Seems like you're the one still bringing it up. ;)

Yup, noticed that too Jack, and was gonna say the same thing you did. Pretty funny 53KL probably revived it now.

I think the thread should be resurrected if and when it becomes known what the FAA does about the situation.

Folks dis Harrison Ford as a spokesperson for GA.
I understand that.
What I don't understand is a few months back folks here were cutting off their left nut for John Travolta.... who is a complete idiot.

Since he was flying the helicopter, I imagine he was cleared to land on the taxiway this time.
I think THAT is why he chose to fly the helicopter

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back