Harrison Ford doin' some bush landings

H'mm, my 17 years of GA flying experience tells me different, but it could all be mental. All I know is that every military field that I've been to you can only see the runway you are lined up with. Most every civil field I've been to you can easily see the other runways. But it might be as you say, just lighting controls...

Maybe they had camouflage netting over them. No, joking about that. Believe me, there is no difference. One way to find a runway on a tower-controlled is request the lights to be turned up all the way. Traffic permitting the controller will do it and after you identify the runway just tell the controller you have the runway and to return the lighting to where they were.

I noticed you're in Niceville. I was a tower controller at Eglin and the lighting is what I described earlier.

Maybe they had camouflage netting over them. No, joking about that. Believe me, there is no difference. One way to find a runway on a tower-controlled is request the lights to be turned up all the way. Traffic permitting the controller will do it and after you identify the runway just tell the controller you have the runway and to return the lighting to where they were.

I noticed you're in Niceville. I was a tower controller at Eglin and the lighting is what I described earlier.

Awesome tip, thanks! I learned something today :)

The ATIS at KFTW had a reminder to use the runway instead of taxiway A for a few months.
Is KFTW the one with the giant white letters "TAXI" at the threshold of taxiway A? I recall seeing something like that there a few weeks ago (I believe it was KFTW but I could be confusing it with KABI - too many pup flights lately :) ).

For incidents like these, good markings make a big difference. A giant X works, the aforementioned word "TAXI" is good too.
Though it won't stop pilots from landing if they have tunnel vision and are intent on landing.

I wonder what will come out of this. Mr. Ford is a celebrity so I have no idea how the NTSB/FAA will handle this. Really curious. Keep us posted.

If anyone thinks it can't happen to them, that's just hubris. Pride goeth before a fall and all that.

I won't say it can't happen to me, but I can't imagine how. A runway doesn't have yellow solid lines on it. The only possibility I can think of is sun glare.

Is KFTW the one with the giant white letters "TAXI" at the threshold of taxiway A? I recall seeing something like that there a few weeks ago (I believe it was KFTW but I could be confusing it with KABI - too many pup flights lately :) ).

For incidents like these, good markings make a big difference. A giant X works, the aforementioned word "TAXI" is good too.
Though it won't stop pilots from landing if they have tunnel vision and are intent on landing.

I wonder what will come out of this. Mr. Ford is a celebrity so I have no idea how the NTSB/FAA will handle this. Really curious. Keep us posted.

Agreed on having good markings, however in this case, was a giant 737 in your landing area not a good enough "marking"? That is what is most perplexing to me.

Not comparing flying ability but is Harrison Ford an equivalent celebrity to the late Bob Hoover in the FAA view? Just wondering.

Cheers

Not comparing flying ability but is Harrison Ford an equivalent celebrity to the late Bob Hoover in the FAA view? Just wondering.

Cheers
No. While revered in the aviation world, most people have no idea who Bob Hoover was.

How do you accidentally do this? I don't get it. There are these really big white numbers painted at the front end of every runway.[/QUOTE]

Not always, sometimes runway numbers are barely visible they're so worn off ... KFUL used to have the worst I've seen especially with a setting sun.

If you're landing on a ****ing taxiway at that airport, then I question those other incidents too. It's clear there's a lack of good judgement. I realize that if you fly long enough, stuff happens. But this is a pretty big screw up that endangered others. I don't care how potentially easy that is to do. There's no excuse and he needs to reevaluate this activity.

More likely vision. In example above at KFUL, was approaching in haze from the north (usually arrive from the east) ... I couldn't see the runway with setting sun and haze, finally picked it out ... runway markings were so worn it was barely visible.

EDIT: Returning on a night flight on SWA last October. KELPs lowest runway light setting is barely visible. SWA pilot lined up with the Biggs Army Airfield runway which had their REILs blinking, but no runway lights. They were down to about 300 feet before they started the go-around. KELP then turned the lights up ... can happen to the pros also.

Another tip my crusty old primary CFI[1] gave me, had the guys in the cab go to full intensity on one night training flight so would know what it looked like, and then told me I could ask them to do that at any time if I needed it.

[1] He was also an old crusty ATC controller.

Another tip my crusty old primary CFI[1] gave me, had the guys in the cab go to full intensity on one night training flight so would know what it looked like, and then told me I could ask them to do that at any time if I needed it.

[1] He was also an old crusty ATC controller.

You calling me old and crusty? :(

Wait I am....unregard! :)

Last edited:
I won't say it can't happen to me, but I can't imagine how. A runway doesn't have yellow solid lines on it. The only possibility I can think of is sun glare.
I can. I once lined up with a taxiway at KCMH. I was cleared to land and on final for 10R and lined up on taxiway B. If what EddieB called confirmation bias had been strong enough for me, I would have landed on it. I had just lost situational awareness for a few seconds. Luckily, I did notice the yellow lines (and lack of numbers) in time and sidestepped to the runway. But I can easily see how this could happen.

I do feel bad for Ford. I mean, it's not like he did it intentionally, and he must be extremely worried about getting his certificate pulled. The guy lives and breathes aviation, and we can all relate to the fear of that happening.

The rules do need to apply to everyone equally, though. And if it turns out he's not cognitively fit to fly anymore, well, that's just the aging process at work.

I do feel bad for Ford. I mean, it's not like he did it intentionally, and he must be extremely worried about getting his certificate pulled. The guy lives and breathes aviation, and we can all relate to the fear of that happening.

The rules do need to apply to everyone equally, though. And if it turns out he's not cognitively fit to fly anymore, well, that's just the aging process at work.
At least he can afford to have a pilot sit right seat and be PIC anywhere he wants to go.

Easy there internet...I'm saying this last one doesn't really help GA now does it?...

The people that get all worked up over this don't give a hoot about GA. We may still be talking about it but they have already forgotten it and moved on to the next daily crisis.

Not sure why you'd want to land a Husky at John Wayne anyway ... I'd rather take it to Johnson Creek, or any other grass strip.

How do you accidentally do this? I don't get it. There are these really big white numbers painted at the front end of every runway.

Delta did it a ways back in 2009, they landed a 767 on taxiway M at ATL, one very early morning,

Delta did it a ways back in 2009, they landed a 767 on taxiway M at ATL, one very early morning,

Very early morning, still dark. Had some kind of medical emergency but were cleared to land on 27R. Airline I flew at had at least also at ATL.

Last edited:
I don't know why I wasted my time reading that article. The "eye witness" sounds like a non pilot who has never seen a Husky in a slip to landing to me.

Human psychology makes it all too easy for this sort of thing to happen.

It involves something like "confirmation bias" - once you start down an erroneous path, you tend to only see things that confirm your perceptions, and can be literally blind to conflicting information. It's how both professional airline and military pilots have managed to even land at the wrong airport.

If anyone thinks it can't happen to them, that's just hubris. Pride goeth before a fall and all that.

This is a good point, thanks for the reminder. I'm a new-ish pilot. I have about 120 hours now. Most of my flights are all out of the same airport.

My home airport has two parallel runways (4/22). When I was doing flight training, there were two occasions I was doing T&G's on 22R and making right traffic, and when I'd roll out from base to final, and line up on 22L. The other runway (22L) at the time was marked better, and was easier to see and acquire visually. The first time, my flight instructor had to grab the yoke and put us back on the right course, the second time, it was just a verbal warning.

So far, I haven't heard any of the recordings of the radio traffic.

And I'm damn sure not going to trust a news story that gets their info from "gossip site".

And I'm damn sure not going to trust a news story that gets their info from "gossip site".
If you find something in the Daily Mail, calling it a "news story" is already a stretch. I searched Google News for Harrison Ford and am struggling to find a legitimate news source discussing the event. The closest I found is on Forbes.com, an article that sticks to the facts and at least tries to tell the reader which things are speculation at this point. Everything else ranges from tabloid newspapers like the Daily Mail to gossip magazines like People and TMZ, with an occasional blogger capitalizing on people searching for Mr. Ford's name to learn more and feeding them even more rampant speculation.

Yea, I'm thinking there must not be any(publicly available), I listened to the archives on liveatc from what I think was that day/time(Feb 14, right?) and I heard the call from the airliner with the flight# but then the file ends, there seems to be time missing from the recordings.

I think the recording they're referring to in that fake news was from another day or earlier in the day when he departed a different airport.

Live ATC pulled the recording and is now saying there was a "technical issue" with the equipment.

Oh, the horror!

I fly several different type airplanes. I'm glad it hasn't made the national news every time I've started to use the wrong type and then corrected myself. And who hasn't forgotten to flip the switch?

TMZ is playing it up as he was "so confused", when really those are just common everyday occurrences that even seasoned professionals commit.

Now landing on the taxiway is a major error, but those radio mistakes had nothing to do with it.

Oh, the horror!

I fly several different type airplanes. I'm glad it hasn't made the national news every time I've started to use the wrong type and then corrected myself. And who hasn't forgotten to flip the switch?

My GOD Dave, you ... are ... Dangerous!:confused: There might have been children in the area! Worse, he might have busted the Pelosi TFR.

Here's a bit of actual audio.

Ford is in contact with Santa Monica tower, is issued a squawk code and told to contact L.A. tower. He makes the call...still on the Santa Monica frequency by mistake...and identifies himself twice as being in a helicopter before he corrects himself.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/17/harrison-ford-plane-radio-communication-mistakes-taxiway/

It kinda sounded like he was mistakenly saying Helicopter instead of Hotel in his call sign, not that he was saying he was in a helicopter. I could be wrong though.

Huskycopter? :)

He does fly a wide-ranging bunch of different aircraft, so I'd cut him some slack here. Still, in its totality, it was not his Best Day Ever in the cockpit.

I think since this guy is a big face of GA and therefore public perception, then it's a legit concern by all that he keep it safe
or never fly solo again if he fails a personal gut check, which I hope he is doing.
He makes a smokin' hole in someone's roof than we deal with the aftermath of that because public perception
is going to turn ugly on GA because of who he is.

Back