Hardware kits - I've been a needy hangar neighbor too often

robertb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
robertb
Hello gang,
I am a Cessna 182 owner and do as much maintenance as possible, under the supervision of my A&P, of course. I've got a great hangar neighbor and she has been very generous with providing miscellaneous hardware when needed. I'm looking to be less of a beggar and stock my hangar with the common hardware. I've accumulated a lot of little odd and ends over the years but never seem to have the correct screw, flat washer, lock washer, crush washer, castle nut, or nylock handy. I looked at Aircraft Spruce's offering and figure I can get a good start with a few of their kits. But, I would love to hear from any who may have gone this route before. Here is what i came up with from ACS:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/assorted_hardware.php OR https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/homebuilderskit.php

I suspect Harbor Freight will get a visit for a little storage drawer thing as well.

If anyone has sources what I'm seeking, I'd love to hear whatcha got.

Thanks in advance!

What I did for my RV-8 was go through the plans plus my experience after a condition inspection and a couple squawks, and make a list of hardware that could need replacement - especially screws. I then got anywhere from 10 to a few dozen of each size, plus countersink washers for sheet metal screws (fairings). For the other hardware, I keep half a dozen or so on hand (bolts, washers, locknuts) as they don’t need replacement as often. Also cotter pins and grommets.

I prepared a list of removable parts on the plane (cowl, fairings, floor and other interior panels that come out for the condition inspection) and the hardware used, and a master list of all hardware items I want on hand. The list has both the AN identification and the newer MS numbers. This makes it easier to order the right hardware.

Every time I order something from Spruce, I get some hardware as well - slowly adding to the stock on hand. Comes in handy living in an airpark, too, when a neighbor needs something.

If a screw head starts to get a bit stripped out, I replace it. Screws are cheap, annoyance and delays due to stripped screw heads cost more.

If buying firesleeve, SCAT hose, centipede grommet or some other similar item that is purchased by length, I go ahead and get extra if it’s not too outrageous.

Hardware gets kept in one of those units with 30 or 40 small clear plastic drawers. I keep airçraft hardware on a smaller workbench close to the plane, across the hangar from the general workshop. This helps to keep consumer-grade hardware from getting mixed in with AN.

Those kits from spruce will have 2 or 4 of your commonly used item, and then a panoply of the wrong-size items which now clutter your hangar and possibly make it impossible to find the 2 or 4 items you seek while scratching around a box of AN-certed legos.

I've had luck with two approaches:

1. Buy everything out from a retiring IA. Does him a solid, you get his gnarled but wise stashes of items you didn't know you'd eventually need, but will.

2. Attend a starman auction for a liquidation and pluck the interesting looking hardware cabinets, tools, jigs, doodads, books, and anything else that looks interesting. Not many of these lately, since shops are stuffed -- but soon. :)

Get on Spruce’s website and start buying what you think you need, then keep supplementing it. Start with one or two countertop screw organizers and see what gets used, then buy organizers!

Yup. Just Go through your Annual with the guy that's signing it off. Every nut bolt and cotter pin (size) you touch, make sure you have at least 2 of on hand. For wheel bearing maintenance, if you've got felts, have 4 on hand as well as 4 of those big honk'n cotter pins. Spark plug washers, make sure you have at least 8 brand new ones. And, if you (or your A&P) are not in the school of sparkplug washer anneal & reuse, then 16. I'd also have a couple of spare spark plugs (in case some un-named person sneaks into your hangar and drops one or two on the ground). And lastly, always have a spare inner tube for the main and one for the nose. Nothing more frustrating than to cancel a flight instead of just a 1 or 2 hour delay because you don't have one on hand.

I would love to hear from any who may have gone this route before.
FWIW: To give you a maintenance perspective on this, while you can have a basic selection of hardware around it can still be a 50/50 chance you have the right one on hand. And buying small quantities you will pay a premium. What I've recommended in the past to my customers is to discuss this with your mechanic and get his input on having a good "fly away" kit of hardware for your specific aircraft. Working through them or possibly other larger shops take advantage of their bulk buying prices and build you a basic kit of hardware and other similar supplies. Another option is to see if local shops have 2nds or "buckets of hardware" you'd gladly take off their hands. The downside to that is you need to sort through everything provided you know what you're looking at. But AC43.13-1B or a Standard Aircraft Handbook can assist with that. And once you know what you're looking for even Ebay has deals on aircraft hardware at times for pennies on the dollar.

Now
Hello gang,
I am a Cessna 182 owner and do as much maintenance as possible, under the supervision of my A&P, of course. I've got a great hangar neighbor and she has been very generous with providing miscellaneous hardware when needed. I'm looking to be less of a beggar and stock my hangar with the common hardware. I've accumulated a lot of little odd and ends over the years but never seem to have the correct screw, flat washer, lock washer, crush washer, castle nut, or nylock handy. I looked at Aircraft Spruce's offering and figure I can get a good start with a few of their kits. But, I would love to hear from any who may have gone this route before. Here is what i came up with from ACS:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/assorted_hardware.php OR https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/homebuilderskit.php

I suspect Harbor Freight will get a visit for a little storage drawer thing as well.

If anyone has sources what I'm seeking, I'd love to hear whatcha got.

Thanks in advance!
None of my hangar neighbors have much in their hangars so no one to borrow from.
Since I don't use the IA at the airport I don't ask to borrow from him even though he is a real nice guy.
I have mixed feelings about hardware kits, like said above much of it won't be used. I have ordered a few. but mostly I order just specific parts.
I order what I need from Spruce just for my plane. Sometimes I order extras and longer and shorter than what I think I need.
I have ordered probably 50 times in the last 5 years.
Now I have a nice selection of hardware and parts just for my plane.
I do have one work bench with nothing but cessna parts on it.
I have 2 plastic cases with small hardware in them organized.
Then recently I picked up another plastic case made by Milwaukee that are stack-able with removable bins for all my rivets. They seem nice and I may expand their use in my hangar.

I don't like people asking to borrow my tools so I don't ask other people for stuff. I can get it in 24-48 hrs most times and plan my repairs so my plane is not down waiting on parts. In 5 years it has never been down for more that 7 days and that included a engine change. I have flown it 1300+ hrs in 5 years, it is always ready to go so I can sleep at night.

Last edited:
FWIW: To give you a maintenance perspective on this, while you can have a basic selection of hardware around it can still be a 50/50 chance you have the right one on hand. And buying small quantities you will pay a premium. What I've recommended in the past to my customers is to discuss this with your mechanic and get his input on having a good "fly away" kit of hardware for your specific aircraft. Working through them or possibly other larger shops take advantage of their bulk buying prices and build you a basic kit of hardware and other similar supplies. Another option is to see if local shops have 2nds or "buckets of hardware" you'd gladly take off their hands. The downside to that is you need to sort through everything provided you know what you're looking at. But AC43.13-1B or a Standard Aircraft Handbook can assist with that. And once you know what you're looking for even Ebay has deals on aircraft hardware at times for pennies on the dollar.
Years ago my late buddy wrenched at a Audi dealership. He always correctly criticized me for not using sockets more instead of open end wrenches while I was working on work trucks. He said I would starve if I was working flat rate. lol
Back in the 90s he brought me home several small buckets of metric hardware that was replaced as he worked on Audi's. I still use some of that today at work. It's been very handy to have around.

Because aircraft maintenance is mostly done at airports I figure having 'Aircraft Hardware Vending Machines' would be fairly popular.

It would be a good way to get flight time and write-offs for flying from airport to airport stocking the Vending Machines. It wouldn't require a commercial license either.

Well, I guess ACS isn't going to get to sell me a bunch of items I probably won't need after all. Thanks for the info gang! I have a couple bins of miscellaneous hardware collected over the years. I guess this was a solution looking for a problem. ;) Next step will be collecting all the little parts and at least putting them in one place.

Robert: Here's how I do it....In the back of the IPB, there is a list of hardware used in the aircraft. I'll get the part number and the quantity required and make a list. Anything with a quantity of 25 or greater, then I'll order it for the shop. For example, in my Stinson L-5, there are 335 AN960-10 washers and 105 AN960-10L washers. Because they are high use items, and I have a second project that I'm buying hardware for, I searched for the best deal I could find on evilbay, Spencer Aircraft, ACS, Wicks, and Skygeek. D and D Collectables on evilbay is one of my favorites, I believe they are part of Lance Aircraft. I also use smartparts57 and aircraftpartsdist for things. Simply put in the part number and search.

I found a lot on evilbay that was listed as having almost 9000 -10's in it, for about the cost of 400 from any of the other sources. Bought it and it happened to have about 400 of the -10L's mixed in. If the quantity in the IPB is over 25, then I buy whatever the package minimum is, or in counts of 50 or 100 if it's a high use item. Things like cotter keys, I managed to find deals at Skygeek and bought 1000+ of the three main sizes I need, for less than buying them in packages of 100. Pays for me to shop around a bit....

Something to keep in mind, is that many of the AN numbers have been superseded by NAS and now MS and sometimes C series numbers. Good example are AN960's, which became NAS1149. If you are not familiar with hardware coding, try everyspec.com for the specification sheets. Most hardware is there, along with change notices and so on. Free site and makes it easier to understand things if you don't play with them very often.

I live about 5 miles from a Spruce store so getting hardware is pretty convenient but I still keep a good stock in the hangar for convenience. A and B point sheet metal screws, machine screws, AN bolts for -3 through -6 in lots of lengths, regular nuts, nyloks, metal self-lockers, some castellated nuts, standard, internal locking, external locking Nord Lock, and nylon washers, tinnermans, nut plates, rivets, adel clamps, pipe plugs, spare quick drains, gas cap gaskets, O rings, spark plugs, and exhaust studs. I also keep zipties, a tray of cotter pins, AN hose fittings, electrical connectors, cable and swage nuts, aluminum tubing, nylon tubing, and lots of adhesives, silicones, anti-seize, gasket sealers, torque seal, etc. Then there's the tools.....

I hate not having what I need and I don't hesitate to help neighbors out when they need something.

Genuine Aircraft Hardware has a hardware reference book that should be in any hangar. Well worth the $8 but they've been shipping them free if you ask.
Email sales@genhardware.com and ask to be included in their next free hardware reference book mailing or call and ask for a free one at 888-247-2738
They have hardware kits too.

I do buy cotter pins in kit form from A/C Spruce.

Anytime I need hardware I just end up ordering a 25 or 50 pack if available. I pick up a bunch of these organizers at Harbor Freight and toss the hardware in their labeled baggies from A/C Spruce in there in order by size. Nuts in one, washers in another, bolts in another.

Sometimes I'll group hardware together by aircraft component in a ziploc bag. For example, I have ziploc bags with everything needed for things like Cowling (rubber mounts, camloc studs/washers), Exhaust (cylinder exhaust gaskets/studs, bolts/nuts), Nose Strut (Schrader valve, gasket), Carburetor (mounting screws/nuts/washers, gaskets), etc.

I live about 5 miles from a Spruce store so getting hardware is pretty convenient but I still keep a good stock in the hangar for convenience. A and B point sheet metal screws, machine screws, AN bolts for -3 through -6 in lots of lengths, regular nuts, nyloks, metal self-lockers, some castellated nuts, standard, internal locking, external locking Nord Lock, and nylon washers, tinnermans, nut plates, rivets, adel clamps, pipe plugs, spare quick drains, gas cap gaskets, O rings, spark plugs, and exhaust studs. I also keep zipties, a tray of cotter pins, AN hose fittings, electrical connectors, cable and swage nuts, aluminum tubing, nylon tubing, and lots of adhesives, silicones, anti-seize, gasket sealers, torque seal, etc. Then there's the tools.....

I hate not having what I need and I don't hesitate to help neighbors out when they need something.
Problem solved. I am moving in next to you. :p

One thing my ap does with those little drawers is hot glue one of whatever is in the drawer to the face of it.

Here's how I did it... build an airplane. ;)

I was the on field source for miscellaneous hardware at my airport.

Attachments

• 2017-10-31 IMG_20171031_150721.jpg
    2017-10-31 IMG_20171031_150721.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • 2017-10-31 IMG_20171031_150735.jpg
    2017-10-31 IMG_20171031_150735.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 2017-10-31 IMG_20171031_150749.jpg
    2017-10-31 IMG_20171031_150749.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
Eeeek. From the photos I am seeing, my hangar is looking just a tad less organized. I do have a couple of jugs with miscellaneous hardware dropped into them.

Eeeek. From the photos I am seeing, my hangar is looking just a tad less organized. I do have a couple of jugs with miscellaneous hardware dropped into them.
You and me both. Sorry to say I have never been that organized. But at least in my hangar I am the only one there so I know where I stored it and no one is going to move it. Unlike work and race shop where I have more help.

You don’t need a lot of any one item. 20-25 each of a lot of items is a better idea. I could use more drawers but the Husky cases work for less used items. I’ll suggest that a rolling cart is a requirement. Three works even better!

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpeg
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2132.jpeg
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
The problem with "kits" is that 80% of it will never get used and you'll often need something that ain't in it.

Back