Hang gliding anyone??

At Lookout Mountain, if you're training for foot launch, you start on the small hill:

Once you can control the glider and land on your feet, you graduate to the large hill:

Then you graduate to the mountain launch:

You can throw in some aerotow tandems with an instructor, if you like.

At Lookout Mountain, if you're training for foot launch, you start on the small hill:

Once you can control the glider and land on your feet, you graduate to the large hill:

Gah, I need to try that sometime. Sure looks like fun.

@FormerHangie I may hate you some day. You got me interested in researching this some and there is a tandem place about 35 miles from where I live. Darn you!
I might try it once things warm up. Has to be safer than when I was skydiving, right? Maybe.

@FormerHangie I may hate you some day. You got me interested in researching this some and there is a tandem place about 35 miles from where I live. Darn you!
I might try it once things warm up. Has to be safer than when I was skydiving, right? Maybe.

Flying a hang glider is just about as dangerous as flying a light GA airplane. Skydiving is about the same as well, unless your're heavily into swooping. Swooping is the cause of almost a third of all skydiving fatilities. Sure looks cool, though.

Last edited:

I had an opportunity to do Lookout Mountain back in the 90s. Still regret that I didn't do it then. Still haven't done it. Still thinking about going sometime.

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen some hang gliding places like Lookout Mountain up in PA. I've hiked several trails around the State College/Altoona/Mt Union area that appear to have very similar topography changes. All they'd need to do is add a launch ramp!

There are several sites in PA, one is near State college.

Back