Ham Radio

KD8JHM reporting in. :)

Not active at all. Friends were into it and it only cost $14 to get it so I did.

I foresee a big gulp of the APRS koolaid in my future. After getting a technician license, is something like the Kenwood TH-D72A a one-stop-shopping solution?

Yeah, it is. I don't have one though. I'm more of a "DIY" guy so if I were into that kind of thing I'd have something like the TinyTrak or one of those things that fits in an Altoids tin.

Never was a big fan of APRS though for personal use -- have helped folks get it going, and if I were to ever stick a Kenwood mobile in my truck I'd probably turn it on once in a while, but I never saw the value in announcing to the world my location -- so someone could come break into the truck and take the expensive Kenwood. :)

APRS *does* work very well for events where you want to see where everyone is on a map. Have done that before, and it's good. Then the APRS stuff gets turned off until next year at the same event. :lol:

Some Ham/Pilots are really big on APRS while airborne. Adam Fast in KS is always squawkin' his... he carries piles of stuff into the airplane for his flights. :)

I've always been "into" building big linked voice systems... key up an hand-held and talk to half the State... that's fun. Repeaters. But everyone's got their thing they like... it's a big hobby. Dad got started in Ham late in life... now he likes VHF contesting, HF QSO parties, collecting interesting QSL cards, and once in a while we take the ham gear up in the airplane for the Colorado 14er event... www.14er.org ... Aeronautical Mobile is fun.

Yeah, I'm thinking an APRS handheld would be a gateway drug rather than an end in itself. CWOP looks neat too. It's important to keep the hobby pipeline primed and free of bubbles :)

K5EFD.

I have a Yaesu FTM-350 I put in the trunk of a Harley for special event road guard. Ms150/bike ms.

It does the APRS thing nicely. Has options for integral GPS and Bluetooth. I had two different Kenwoid TM-D700's and prefer the Yaesu hands down.

I put the control head and antenna on the bike about 5 times a year. Other than that it's in the garage waiting for it's next deployment.

Dad was K5OQD, I was KN5GGA. Chasing fur became more interesting than learning code, so that's as far as it went for me.

No code necessary now. Certainly makes administering the exams a lot easier.

N2ELC...When this thread started back in June I posted that I was inactive,
and had been for many years. But a few weeks ago I bought myself a new
radio and I'm back on the local repeaters renewing friendships with people
I haven't heard from in years.
I forgot how much I enjoyed meeting people on the air.

ae5tc - Been licensed since 1987, extra class since about 9/11/2001. Been a pilot since Nov 2014. Active on APRS and SSTV 14.230 and ADS-B (flightaware).

Seems like Amateur radio is a dieing hobby, not too far ahead of G.A. most likely. I found this board while searching for "amateur radio net for pilots".

ae5tc - Been licensed since 1987, extra class since about 9/11/2001. Been a pilot since Nov 2014. Active on APRS and SSTV 14.230 and ADS-B (flightaware).

Seems like Amateur radio is a dieing hobby, not too far ahead of G.A. most likely. I found this board while searching for "amateur radio net for pilots".

This used to be a dead thread. :D

KM4HZG- I got tech license last year but have yet to use it. My original plan was to do APRS but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to install the equipment in my 182. I'm not particularly interested in radio chit chat.

N7CJ extra class since 1953. Almost completed 2KW linear that I stopped when almost completed several years ago. Internet has displaced ham radio it seems.
Was CW flight operator in DC-4 s in Navy in late 1940s.
John at Salida

Technician Class - KG7AUC (Nice to have real 2-way radios with repeater access when cellphones don't work).
I also have the GROL from my avionics days.

Last edited:
KF5JOT Extra Class, I'm currently trying to finish gathering up the BC gear for my Fairchild project. When I am back current, I'd like to try some airborne QRP.
Brian: Check out the section on the VAF board for airborne APRS stuff. Lots of experience there on setting it up, although they are doing in on experimentals instead of production aircraft.

Technician Class - KG7AUC (Nice to have real 2-way radios with repeater access when cellphones don't work).
I also have the GROL from my avionics days.

Yeah, I was big in the Baltimore Amateur Radio Club in the glory days of repeaters. We had big multisite repeaters. The transmitter for the main one was on the old WBAL tower up about 260'. The receivers were spread around the city. Never could get one to work at the transmitter site...blasted WCAO on 600 Khz intermods the transmitter back into the input.

Did a bit of work on the Vienna Wireless Society stuff back when my wife was President.

I have a GROL too (and a Radiotelegraph license for all the good that does me).

ex WA6NXL WA7ESD HL9VL had an advanced class I was never able to copy more than 13 wpm CW. I went inactive and forgot to renew. When I got back to CONUS after being HL9VL 20M kinda lost its appeal.

Wow - blast from the past thread - Bringing back memories....

KG4EMM here (inactive). General class and loved QRP (low power) CW. Built several QRP rigs, best contact was Diego Garcia on 1/4 watt (if memory serves)....

Wow - blast from the past thread - Bringing back memories....

KG4EMM here (inactive). General class and loved QRP (low power) CW. Built several QRP rigs, best contact was Diego Garcia on 1/4 watt (if memory serves)....

While it wasn't QRP I worked Diego Garcia in FEC mode on AMTOR (for some reason their ARQ stuff wasn't compatible). I've still got that QSL card around here somewhere. Probably the most contact I made.

I tried to work the shuttle SAREX but never managed to do so even using the Goddard Amateur Radio Club's OSCAR array to point at where I thought the shuttle was (I was over there being control operator rebroadcasting the shuttle comms).

I did work a QSO through one of the Russian satellites.

K4JSC- active, 2m, 70cm....operated HF for a while also, but, my life situation changed and I sold my HF rig. Might get back into HF at some point. Operated B-PSK also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KF5PPM- I need to get my extra I just never get around to taking the test.

I wanted to get my tech license for 5.8GHz FPV stuff but ended up not pursuing that path.

KG6TY, Advanced Class

Pretty much inactive

KM4HZG- I got tech license last year but have yet to use it. My original plan was to do APRS but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to install the equipment in my 182. I'm not particularly interested in radio chit chat.

You may want to look at Byonics MT-AIO. It's basially an all-in-one APRS unit. Uses batteries normally, but I fed two wires from a cig-lighter under my rear seat for my truck.

Tech, KC9CIE got into mainly for communication when Jeeping in remote areas.

You may want to look at Byonics MT-AIO. It's basially an all-in-one APRS unit. Uses batteries normally, but I fed two wires from a cig-lighter under my rear seat for my truck.
They make some neat stuff, but I've been waiting years for the AIO-IV. I email the guy about once a year, but it's perpetually delayed.

Back