Ham radio in the air

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I know that we have other hams on the board, and I suspect we have other pilots. I finally went and got myself a technician license as a Christmas gift to myself, along with a Yaesu FT-60R. I’ll add my general soon enough and maybe more radio gear.

Meanwhile, I’m trying to figure out a sane way to get the radio’s audio in and out of my headset so I can use it while flying. On a lark, I tried the 4-conductor cord that came with my Lightspeed Sierra headset and that appears to have been incompatible.

What have others done to accomplish this mini-mission?

I've interfaced my headphones via the regular plug to a 2M rig. The issue is that aviation headsets simulate a carbon mike and many use the bias voltage for powering the microphone (your Lightspeed also uses it to let it know to go to sleep when the panel is powered down).
I used a cheap Sigtronics intercom to provide the bias voltage for me, others have floated a cheap circuit that will do the same.

Plain ol' 2 meter APRS. I don't need more people talking to me.

Nauga,
and a breadcrumb trail

I have a David Clark with no noise reduction, so I can connect any radio to it with a modified impedance matching adapter from Sporty's.

K4IVE

Other than the novelty of having the transceiver airborne, what is driving your desire to be equipped? I’ve been a Ham for 27 years and never had the desire to rag chew airborne. If I need entertainment, I’ll turn up guard. If you are trying to work highbird ops for ARES or something, I suppose I could see the desire. Certainly hope you’d have a non-flying operator for that though.

What’s your goal with this project?

Other than the one time as i plied above, where I actually worked with my dad and we DID (once) equip the Lance with a 40m rig, I have brought up a HT and chitchatted on the local repeaters while airborne. Not much of a conversation but more a novelty for those involved.

I wasn’t flying while chitchatting and we took turns with each duty.

I recently got my uncle's old Hammarlund shortwave receiver. I used it more than 50 years ago as a young teenager, and the amateur bands then were jammed with CW and voice. Now I can find almost nobody there anymore. Did the internet spoil all that?

I recently got my uncle's old Hammarlund shortwave receiver. I used it more than 50 years ago as a young teenager, and the amateur bands then were jammed with CW and voice. Now I can find almost nobody there anymore. Did the internet spoil all that?
Internet and cell phones took a lot of the intrigue and convenience aspects out of it. Why invest in getting a license and equipment if I can call or text my friends. What's the alure of reaching someone in a far away land if can just meet up with them in an internet chat room.

Even broadcast shortwave is kind of the wayside with internet streaming and other distribution channels.

Sorta. MySpace-Insta-Facebook-a-Tweet is a much more stimulating, er addictive targeting scheme, than tippy tapping on a key or trying to pick out a station through the tropospheric ducting on a side band that sounds like someone was sucking on helium before keying up.

I will say that I though I was the **** when I’d call people on the auto patch. This was well before cell phone were a thing and pagers were for important people.

I've been a ham since November 1988. A pilot since student days in 2000. I've never seriously considered aeronautical mobile operation. I operated from our boat years ago (briefly) and have found that I need to pay attention to boating or flying with little time available for ham radio activities. This isn't to say that you shouldn't give it a try, but that's been my experience. Based on this, I really don't have a suggestion on what you should do.

N6TPT
ARRL Technical Advisor

Even broadcast shortwave is kind of the wayside with internet streaming and other distribution channels.
Yeah. That, too. The big international stations seem to have thinned out mightily.

I guess the old Hammarlund is little more than a conversation piece now.

I've been a ham since November 1988. A pilot since student days in 2000. I've never seriously considered aeronautical mobile operation. I operated from our boat years ago (briefly) and have found that I need to pay attention to boating or flying with little time available for ham radio activities. This isn't to say that you shouldn't give it a try, but that's been my experience. Based on this, I really don't have a suggestion on what you should do.

N6TPT
ARRL Technical Advisor

But it might be fun when flying with another pilot who could take the controls while you’re hamming.

How about getting a back country plane and flying up to some tall peak and setting up your station. Two solutions to being a bucket mouth- more power, taller antenna.

Many years have gone by since I used this device. Should be hoot in my sport plane! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

iu

This and my E6B are both getting to be strangers to me ...

How about getting a back country plane and flying up to some tall peak and setting up your station. Two solutions to being a bucket mouth- more power, taller antenna.

Great idea! Or maybe fly your own seaplane to put a remote island on the air. Could be a hot station during IOTA.

Ran ssb on hf Freqs from airplanes equipped with HF radios.

long international flights are pretty much perfect for this sort of thing.

but the coolest was from the s-3. I was aeronautical/maritime mobile. Got asked about that, I said I was in a jet that launched from a ship... should qualify!

got accused of using that as an excuse for crappy equipment blah blah blah... and that I wasn’t actually blah blah blah...

I had to jockey the throttles so he could hear the engines spooling to convince him I was legit!

We did a VHF sprint in the Huntsville, AL area. The object was to get the most contacts in the most grid squares.

Guess who won? The aeronautical mobile operator on 2m!

Did ya have to be on the ground for it to count? No matter, that’s pretty cool!

Knowing that 4500 foot tall antenna was our competition made us try harder!

I know that we have other hams on the board, and I suspect we have other pilots. I finally went and got myself a technician license as a Christmas gift to myself, along with a Yaesu FT-60R. I’ll add my general soon enough and maybe more radio gear.

Meanwhile, I’m trying to figure out a sane way to get the radio’s audio in and out of my headset so I can use it while flying. On a lark, I tried the 4-conductor cord that came with my Lightspeed Sierra headset and that appears to have been incompatible.

What have others done to accomplish this mini-mission?
I have an Icom 2 meter handheld that I have used while airborne. I have a headset adapter that I think I bought from Icom, and it also works with my Icom aviation handheld. See if Yaesu has something like that for their equipment.

Another issue is antenna placement. Since I rent, I got a suction-cup mount so that I could place the rubber duck antenna in whichever window was toward the station I was trying to communicate with.

Last edited:
I remember back in the 1970s during the CB craze an article in Flying or maybe it was Air Progress about a pilot who installed a CB radio in his plane to chat with the truckers... "Breaker breaker one nine sky driver..."

A lot of the comms on the ham bands have gone digital. That and a lot of traffic on the bands was the national traffic system which is a mere shadow of its former self.

Before I started flying I thought it would be fun to try 2m from the air, but I haven't done it yet. The impedance of aviation and ham/commercial radios is different, and there is bias on the mic port, as Flyingron mentioned. My plan was to try just capacitor isolating the mic feed, and using a little audio amplifier to buffer the headphone audio, like an LM386. But easier would be to have a headset with a hard wired cell phone adapter, and tap into that.

You guys running CW while flying are way beyond my skill level. Back when I took my test you had to know 5 wpm to get general class, but I only learned it well enough to pass. Now I couldn't even do it on the ground.

I remember back in the 1970s during the CB craze an article in Flying or maybe it was Air Progress about a pilot who installed a CB radio in his plane to chat with the truckers... "Breaker breaker one nine sky driver..."

I used to fly a C-206 in Alaska that had a CB radio. Lots of fun near the George Parks highway and tell folks I was traveling at 140 mph. Then they wouldn't believe me when I told them I was in a plane.!!

Sorta. MySpace-Insta-Facebook-a-Tweet is a much more stimulating, er addictive targeting scheme, than tippy tapping on a key or trying to pick out a station through the tropospheric ducting on a side band that sounds like someone was sucking on helium before keying up.

I will say that I though I was the **** when I’d call people on the auto patch. This was well before cell phone were a thing and pagers were for important people.

Methuselah here...licensed in 1959. In high school I used to run phone patches for people back in the day when long distance cost extra. That was my version of public service. Ham radio was different in the early 60s. Strange, it was. I worked all continents (WAC) in one day on 10 meter am phone (opposite of CW). I think that was the day I talked with a ham in Moscow. Big thrill for a rural Tennessee kid. Atmospheric skip (tropospheric ducting as you say) was truly awesome that year.

Ten years later, I found myself in Vietnam flying helicopters. One day my unit got a message for me to get a jeep and go over to the Chu Lai MARS station. It was my wife calling from the hospital via phone patch to tell me our first child had been born. It was a spotty and garbled connection but priceless to hear. By contrast, in the last few years everybody in the combat zones have been using cell phones chatting up their families, face-timing, etc. I was at my desk at AMCOM one day when one of the Apache pilots called me from Afghanistan to talk about the prototype "flight bag" we had provided him. Casual, routine conversation except for the time zones.

Used to own a nice Vibroplex mechanical bug. Gave it away, like many things. Vestige of days lost to history.

What’s your goal with this project?
I don’t understand the question. Goal? Project? :confused:

I think the “fly your ham rig to someplace interesting” is the sensible answer here. But I didn’t get into any of my hobbies for sensible and practical reasons. :)

I have some insight into this. I bought a ham radio book and studied a bit when I was a kid. Dad and I were going to get our licenses. But then I got more into computers instead, and my “nerd hobby” became computers instead of radio. So I grew up hacking the games I found on the family computer (many of which were written in GW-BASIC, including a lunar lander simulation that my EE uncle taught me how to modify to show more variables to make the game easier), demanding my parents buy Turbo C++ for my birthday so I could write more complicated and faster-running compiled code, splurging for shareware disassemblers that came on floppy disks in the mail, and so on.

By the time the Internet became a household thing, I was already deep into it. My science fair project one year, probably 8th grade or thereabouts, was a comparison of different algorithms for playing Tic Tac Toe, written in C that ran in Minix on a 286-powered laptop (if you want to cut off circulation in your legs) that Dad gave me. I asked for debugging help through IRC. The WWW was in its infancy and the most use I could find of it was using Yahoo!’s categories to find websites to try to learn weird languages like Old English.

I think that having been born as little as 2 years earlier would have tipped the scale the other way. If we didn’t have a home computer at the age when I started to become a nerd, I would have had spare time to learn Morse and get my amateur radio license and would have been trying to solder together an HF rig from Radio Shack parts instead of learning how to write code.

Location may have been another factor. The nearest Radio Shack was hours away, in the same town as the nearest bookstore with a computer section. So I came home with books on anything from BASIC to C++ and from flight simulator programming to fuzzy logic. I could spend hours at home studying the books and writing code without having to travel to get any parts, whereas the radio hobby would have required more trips to bigger towns.

But easier would be to have a headset with a hard wired cell phone adapter, and tap into that.
The Lightspeed Sierra has a hard wired cell phone adapter and came with a 4-conductor cable with 1/8” plugs. That’s what I tried initially, but obviously the FT-60 isn’t wired the same as a cell phone.

This is something that I want to do as well. I have an Icom IC-7000 I plan on integrating into the aircraft with a 19" 1/4 nmo whip for 2m/70cm and a retractable "buoy" for 160-6m. The Garmin GMA340 has a com3 position perfect for integrating another radio. You might want to investigate a radio with bluetooth. I plan on testing with my Motorola XPR7550 portable paired with my Lightspeed sierra headset.. I know it works awesome hooked to a jabra headset that I use with my cell phone.. You just have to manually PTT, which really isn't that big of a deal.

73 de w5gm

The Lightspeed Sierra has a hard wired cell phone adapter and came with a 4-conductor cable with 1/8” plugs. That’s what I tried initially, but obviously the FT-60 isn’t wired the same as a cell phone.

Yeah, I'd expect the pinouts to be different, but I bet the voltage levels are close enough to work. The ft-60 probably has a 4 pin, with ground, mono headphone out, mic in, ptt - guessing. And I don't know what the cell phone cable is, maybe 2 wire headphone 2 wire mic, or ground, l headphone, r headphone, mic.

I have threatened to try 2m from the air, but then I tried my FTA550 and couldn’t even get the aviation radio or VOR to work in anything resembling a useful way. It was pretty obvious I’d need an external antenna. Maybe a mag mount - oh, wait. No. Anyway, I haven’t really given it much thought lately.

The big kick would be aero during Field Day.....

problem he had was when he called out Smokey Bear, that sum beech had Sidewinder Missiles instead of a ticket book!

I use a Kenwood TH-D74A while flying all the time while VFR. Best use for the autopilot yet! Typically I see contacts out to 80 miles or so when 6000+ AGL. If you call on 146.52 there is always a pileup created!

I have tried an impedance match, but I've never cared for using my aviation headset with the ham radio, because it means I have to unplug/plug-in to switch. I use a noise cancelling mic, with earbuds, and just put the earbuds in under my aviation headset. Keeps the noise down, but my aviation radio (usually on 121.5 at the time) is still working and ready in an emergency.

First licensed in 1974 as WN3SBS, moved on to be N3AGV, KE2LG, WO2L, and now N1RN. Got the Extra when you still had to do 20WPM. All it really got me was a free pass on my 2nd class radiotelegraph license.

First licensed in 1974 as WN3SBS, moved on to be N3AGV, KE2LG, WO2L, and now N1RN. Got the Extra when you still had to do 20WPM. All it really got me was a free pass on my 2nd class radiotelegraph license.

I started after the code requirement had been eliminated. I did all three exams in one sitting, which sorta surprised the VEs. “Guy comes in with nothing, walks out as an Extra.” I downloaded Echolink and started using it from my desktop computer while I figured out which radio I wanted to buy.

I’ve been off the air for a few years, but my dad’s an SK now and I have his radios downstairs. Sometime soon I’ll build a new station and get back on the air, but right now my new plane is eating most of my time.

Back