Ham Radio Anyone?

benb172

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Benb172
I was just wondering how many people had their Ham Radio licence. If so post it below.

I'll start. I am KB1ZCH.

N1RN. Licensed way before I got my pilot's license (or was even eligible for one).

KC0FBW

Just a technician license for now. I have a nice older HF rig that I can use if I ever get off my duff and pass some more tests.

Anyone ever use the ham frequencies while flying?

KF5PPM

Just a lowly Tech at the moment. Looking to get my Extra before summer. I enjoy HF more then I do VHF.

Thinking about changing my call to my dad's old call KB5SQK since his is now W5SQK.

A Pilot/Friend who was an avid Ham, just passed away. I'm helping the wife go through a bunch of old ham gear. Anyone in Phoenix area, drop me a line, and help haul it away. 'Have a nearly new Icom IC-7600 for sale.

KC0FBW

Just a technician license for now. I have a nice older HF rig that I can use if I ever get off my duff and pass some more tests.

That's a good question. It that even possible with a 172R? (standard KX 155A)

KC0FBW

Dad did once,(on 2m) and set off half th' repeaters accross the country.

N0XAS here. I've talked to one or two aeronautical mobile stations, and read about several other ham pilots working stations while flying. In fact, I was reading about an airline pilot using the HF radios in his Airbus on transoceanic flights just the other day. I know a couple of RV pilots who run APRS in their planes. I don't plan to, but it would be kind of cool to unspool a Zepp and work HF DX while en route. :)

KP4DAC Icom 706/SGC-237 in Mooney 201. Mostly use it during overwater flights. Great for contacting hams on HF, WLO Radio (phone patches), New York Radio, VOLMET broadcasts, marinas and boats. The Icom 706 is the most popular radio for ferry flights, reliable and rugged

José

Attachments

• 706 in panel.JPG
    706 in panel.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
KC2DA. Took my exams at the old FCC field office in Washington, DC.

N0XAS here. I've talked to one or two aeronautical mobile stations, and read about several other ham pilots working stations while flying. In fact, I was reading about an airline pilot using the HF radios in his Airbus on transoceanic flights just the other day. I know a couple of RV pilots who run APRS in their planes. I don't plan to, but it would be kind of cool to unspool a Zepp and work HF DX while en route. :)

There is a Cathey Pacific and a AA or SW guy that talks on HF quite frequently. My dad hasn't had any GA hits in the past few years though.

W5FX

Passed my Novice in 1976 and licensed as WD8LOQ. Also have held N0AON and AA8FE.

Mike
Ah, I held WN3SBS (try that in morse code, I joked I needed a keyer that sent 3 dits as one of it's mode), N3AGV, KE2LG, and WO2L for my Novice, Tech, Advanced (never held a General), and Amateur Extra calls before I got the Vanity call.

I actually had N1RN as a reserved N-number for a while but I came to the realization that I wasn't going to use it and let it go. It's on a glider somewhere. I've got N1RN on my truck plates. Margy has the Navion N number on her car plates.

KC2DA. Took my exams at the old FCC field office in Washington, DC.

I did mine with old Annie Woodlawn who ran the testing room at the Baltimore FCC office. I also took my 2nd phone test there.

I held a novice ticket for a year as a child, but never went any further. My parents were both lifelong hams -- my dad especially, who was very active and well known in the area.

My wife got her tickets, culminating with her Advanced. I often referred to her as "My advanced wife." This may be why she never got her extra. She didn't want to be referred to as "My extra wife."

She actually spent a year as the President of the Vienna Wireless Society. She's also a member of the Radio Club of America, primarily because her father was a member. He was an interesting guy. He was the managing editor of RadioCraft/Radio-Electronics magazine over the years. They took away his license many years earlier because he was accused of being a communist. I was teaching a novice course at the University and he decided to sit through it. He just sat there and smiled as I explained basic radio theory to a class where he had written books on the subject.

Good idea. Refering to her as "your extra wife" might lead her to become your XYF.

K0JHJ
W0KDT

A long time ago.

KD7VMY

Always wanted to do APRS from a plane. I've got something started on a breadboard, but haven't gotten arond to finishing it...

some of my projects:
http://alternet.us.com

I've got mine.. and it starts with K5... but I really like being anonymous, and since the FCC database is public I can look up the name and address of each and every listed call sign.

Just think what kind of bargain shopping someone could do during Airventure while all the HAM pilots are away from home ;)

AE4KR, which made for a nice short CW burst on my UHF repeater when I lived near Orlando. First licensed near Buffalo NY in 1972 as WN2TOX.

I've been out west for almost two decades now, and have wondered if I should try to get a 7 call, or my original 2 call, as a vanity.

I've got mine.. and it starts with K5... but I really like being anonymous, and since the FCC database is public I can look up the name and address of each and every listed call sign.

Just think what kind of bargain shopping someone could do during Airventure while all the HAM pilots are away from home ;)

Actually you can use PO BOX addresses and non-residence addresses with FCC.

FAA, no.

Makes no sense, since FCC is often looking for transmitters, but FAA makes you come to them...

But there you go.

As far as the shopping spree... They'd take other stuff before a 30 year old Yaesu. They don't bring much at the local pawn shop.

Plus my boobie traps are built to maim and not kill them until I make it back.

That is, if they survive being shot by the house-sitter.

You can have a PO BOX with the FCC as your mailing address, but if you do you must also put down the actual physical address. The FCC still sticks to the "operator" and "station" license nonsense for the Amateur service even though the rules have been so relaxed to the point that there is no difference (they did away with all logging requirements and rules for handling mobile/portable operation away from your fixed address differently).

You can have a PO BOX with the FCC as your mailing address, but if you do you must also put down the actual physical address. The FCC still sticks to the "operator" and "station" license nonsense for the Amateur service even though the rules have been so relaxed to the point that there is no difference (they did away with all logging requirements and rules for handling mobile/portable operation away from your fixed address differently).

They haven't issued separate Operator and Station licenses in Amateur service for a long time. I forget what mine says, but you can't get the other one anymore. And the address doesn't have to match the transmitter location. So, you list a mailbox. Done.

ZS5WG

To get an American call sign, I would have to redo my license starting from page 1. I could not be bothered.

Regards
John

Back