Halloween Candy

First year in this house I bought 3 bags of candy. Ran out early and considered giving away sporks and Taco Bell hot sauce packets.

Second year I bought 5 bags of candy. Nobody came.

Now, it's hit or miss as to whether I do or don't give out candy. And, there's none of it that I'll eat anymore. I've even given up the hard cider I used to enjoy while handing the stuff out. :rolleyes2:

If I got a used spork and old Taco Bell hot sauce packet I wouldn't come back either.

I'd save my costume changes for the house that gives away full size chocolate bars.

First year in this house I bought 3 bags of candy. Ran out early and considered giving away sporks and Taco Bell hot sauce packets.

Second year I bought 5 bags of candy. Nobody came.

Now, it's hit or miss as to whether I do or don't give out candy. And, there's none of it that I'll eat anymore. I've even given up the hard cider I used to enjoy while handing the stuff out. :rolleyes2:

LOL on the sporks and hot sauce packets, Liz... :eek: I'd be down to handing out last year's used scrapbook supplies if it were me that ran out of candy. Little kids sometimes will still play with stickers. Sigh... you can't even go with the fresh fruit from the bowl on your counter these days. Even if it was a retired Longaberger bowl... that wouldn't fly very well with suspicious parents. :dunno:

And I think even kids know not to go to Henning's house on Halloween. :no:

Last edited:
There was a Letterman show a looooong time ago, (when I still watched him) probably early 80's where he had kids come to doors on his set. One door, he gave baggies full of chili to the kids. The next door he gave out bags of sushi. The look on the kids face was priceless. I laughed my *ss off.

There was a Letterman show a looooong time ago, (when I still watched him) probably early 80's where he had kids come to doors on his set. One door, he gave baggies full of chili to the kids. The next door he gave out bags of sushi. The look on the kids face was priceless. I laughed my *ss off.

Worst handout ever: a dentist handed out toothbrushes at his house one year.....

Worst handout ever: a dentist handed out toothbrushes at his house one year.....

That's pretty good.....but one year, I got lousy plastic "scary" spoons that had ghosts on the handles. They were so small that the only practical use would have been to feed babies.

My Dad was a dentist. Of course my parents could not give out candy, so they gave out pre-packaged packs of pretzel sticks.

I avoided that house. :)

Well that brought back a memory. I got a toothbrush one year also.

Another house gave me a half pint carton of orange juice.

I've lived here 6 years without anyone. My usual is to buy something I enjoy so I get to eat the 5 bags of candy on Nov 1st!

I have been here 24 years and no trick or treaters either...

Disregard the fact I turn on the sprinklers every Halloween.. That way I get ALL the candy..:yes::D

Ditto 24 years.

I've lived in this house 16 years.....never had a single trick or treater.

I've lived here 6 years without anyone. My usual is to buy something I enjoy so I get to eat the 5 bags of candy on Nov 1st!

It's really surprising to me how many people have posted that they don't see many/any kids on Halloween! :eek: I'm thinking if you live in an older neighborhood without much owner turnover or way out in the boonies without many neighbors, this would be the case... I'm hoping we'll get at least the usual turnout this year, since the husband put in a lot of work this year with unique decorations he made himself. One of our neighbors came by and said that people have been slowing down to look as they drive past and a Channel 3 news van had even driven past earlier this week! It's not quite as impressive during the day, but at night when he gets the lights, smoke, and sound track going, it's kinda cool! :yes:

At least the treat bags are ready... I finished them last night! :D

Last edited:
It's really surprising to me how many people have posted that they don't see many/any kids on Halloween! :eek: I'm thinking if you live in an older neighborhood without much owner turnover or way out in the boonies without many neighbors, this would be the case... I'm hoping we'll get at least the usual turnout this year, since the husband put in a lot of work this year with unique decorations he made himself. One of our neighbors came by and said that people have been slowing down to look as they drive past and a Channel 3 news van had even driven past earlier this week! It's not quite as impressive during the day, but at night when he gets the lights, smoke, and sound track going, it's kinda cool! :yes:

At least the treat bags are ready... I finished them last night! :D

:needpics:

The heck with pics.... We want video :yes:

Our neighborhood has a lot of very small kids, that come by while it is still light. We hand them huge grab bags assorted with all the things kids love, and a comic book, and sometimes crazy stuff we find at the dollar store, like inexpensive paper kites and squirt guns.
Once they finish, we turn out the lights and leave the house protected by our two dogs, for the evening.
The local kids love it and we don't feel a big need to provide such for other neighborhoods. They seem to car pool in about 6:30 - 8:00.

I think we get maybe 30 - 35 kids each year. I think we'll get more this year as a number of families with several kids have bought homes in the neighborhood. One family has six kids!

Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate!!

That's what I always wanted, anyway... :D

It's too bad that the fear of people harming kids has pretty much eliminated home-made Halloween treats.
When I was making the rounds in my quiet suburban neighborhood in the 60s and early 70s, we'd get home-made candy apples, popcorn balls, cookies, etc. I also remember the elderly German couple on my street who would invite kids in to sit and have some warm cider or hot chocolate, with cake or whatever, and they'd even give us little gifts! Most folks did not go crazy with the decorations... the kids were the ones tasked with being creative and outrageous. The costumes, too, were usually home-made.

We usually remember our childhoods fondly because we were young then, but the time of my childhood was definitely a different time... better, at least, when it came to Halloween.

We got Twix, Kit Kats, Butterfingers, Reeses, Baby Ruths, 100 Grands, Snickers and Nestles Crunch. Only thing missing is Milky Ways.

Back