Halloween Candy

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
Well... this year the other half has gone all out on his favorite holiday and now our front yard is wired for sound, lights, and fog as an experimental laboratory/haunted graveyard. :hairraise: So... seeing as our yard is the best decorated in our neighborhood we can't have lame candy in our treat bags. :no: So what should I buy?? What do your kids like to get the most?? And what kinds will you eat when you go through their bags after they get home from trick or treating?? First the things I don't like: I refuse to buy candy corn... that stuff could gag a maggot. I'm also not too fond of bubble gum or licorice (Twizzlers). Sweet Tarts, Smarties, and those Pixy Stix are OK, but just a distant second to... CHOCOLATE! :D I've already bought a variety bag of Hershey's miniatures, a bag of Hershey's Cookies and Cream bars, and a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups.

Please help me out! What am I missing that no treat bag should be without??!! :confused:

Oh... and I also have about 200 "glow in the dark" plastic spiders. I'm planning on tying one to the top of each treat bag, so they will glow in the dark and stand out a little from everyone else's. :yikes: :D

You pretty much hit it with the Reeses. You really don't need anything else, other than Hershey's milk chocolate bars.

I will take the dark hersheys please.. Not only does it taste better, it is good for you..:yes:

I buy a bunch of the small Reeses, Snickers, Milky Ways, Kit Kats, etc, then give each kid a handful with an assortment.

I will take the dark hersheys please.. Not only does it taste better, it is good for you..:yes:

Okay, I'll trade you my darks for your milks and we'll both be happy!!

I've lived in this house 16 years.....never had a single trick or treater.

I have been here 24 years and no trick or treaters either...

Disregard the fact I turn on the sprinklers every Halloween.. That way I get ALL the candy..:yes::D

Good spot to share my favorite Halloween Light Show. An over the top performance, but still cool. Unfortunately the fellow's HoA shut him out this year.

Last edited:
Necco wafers. Licorice. Smarties. There used to be a "fizzies"-type candy that was good, too. Twix/kit-kat are good. I see you nixed candy-corn. M&Ms come in little bags, yes, even the candy-corn flavored M&Ms....

I usually just buy a big bag from Costco. When it's gone, the lights go out. If there's stuff left over, it goes to the office.

I have been here 24 years and no trick or treaters either...

Disregard the fact I turn on the sprinklers every Halloween.. That way I get ALL the candy..:yes::D

Sprinklers? I thought last year you said you just turned the dog loose on them? That way, they drop their candy and run. Mo candy, Mo candy, Mo candy (for you).

No, I don't do that. :)

Pop-Rocks!

Pop+Rocks.jpg

Add my vote to Reeses PB cups. Those are very addicting.

And there is an online source or two to find the older "not always in the stores" candies.

You pretty much hit it with the Reeses. You really don't need anything else, other than Hershey's milk chocolate bars.

I buy a bunch of the small Reeses, Snickers, Milky Ways, Kit Kats, etc, then give each kid a handful with an assortment.

Add my vote to Reeses PB cups. Those are very addicting.

Noooooo! Spare those of us that think peanut butter is disgusting!

Milky Ways, Three Musketeers, and Twix are great. 100 Grand is amazing too, and it seems like nobody knows about them any more. OH and Kinder Buenos! They aren't exactly easily available in the States, but you can get them on Amazon. They're AMAZING.

We turned off the lights a few years ago.

We know most of the kids and families in the neighborhood, and became aware that they weren't the among the hordes of 5'-tall trick-or-treaters that were showing up at our door. We were told that car-loads of them were being dropped off at the edge of the neighborhood and would then strip-mine us and go back to wherever they came from. No mas.

As a younger child (last year :D and every year before it) me and my friends always hit a couple of houses multiple times because they either give out Reeses or Kit Kats. Tootsie pops were always number 2 for me.

We never get the kids anymore.

After the local Urgent Care places and Hospitals started offering free X-Rays of Halloween candy when I was a kid for razor blades inside candy and what-not, parents started taking the kids to big pre-arranged "safe" gatherings at schools and community buildings and whatever, and no kids come to the door anymore.

Our first year in the house (2001) we loaded up on candy and such, thinking of our childhood years and figuring we'd be overrun in an old neighborhood like ours. We had five kids come to the door, two teenagers who didn't even really have costumes, they just wanted candy. We had about 10-15 kids a year at the condo prior to that.

Whatever you buy, make sure you want to eat it, since you probably will get stuck with it. :)

I tax my kids every year when they come home, firstmtjing I go for is laffy taffy.

We turned off the lights a few years ago.

We know most of the kids and families in the neighborhood, and became aware that they weren't the among the hordes of 5'-tall trick-or-treaters that were showing up at our door. We were told that car-loads of them were being dropped off at the edge of the neighborhood and would then strip-mine us and go back to wherever they came from. No mas.

That was a real problem when I lived in San Antonio. The kids would - literally - be bussed in from other areas. Figured that out the second year. Also had mothers hauling around 3 month old kids in arms begging for candy ("for the kids" - right...)

It really was beggars night in San Antonio.

Don't get too many where I live now, I think the volunteer neighborhood patrol helps.

I've lived in this house 16 years.....never had a single trick or treater.

We've had exactly 1 in the 16 years we've lived in this house. And that was teenagers looking for food donations for a food drive. They made out on candy, too. :D

I may hand these out.

candy-cigarettes.jpg

Haven't seen those in YEARS. Actually, they tasted fairly good, IIRC.

Nate's mention of hospitals sparked an idea... Reach out to the kid's wards at the local hospitals and ask if we can donate to the ward for the kids who cannot go trick or treating.

Put together some pumpkin bags of candy and some small party favor toys. $3.00 a bag would be cheap compared to the smile you would get in return.

Nate's mention of hospitals sparked an idea... Reach out to the kid's wards at the local hospitals and ask if we can donate to the ward for the kids who cannot go trick or treating.

Put together some pumpkin bags of candy and some small party favor toys. $3.00 a bag would be cheap compared to the smile you would get in return.

Great idea..:thumbsup:..

Altho I would bet the hospital nix the idea because of dietary concerns of the kids..:dunno:

Altho I would bet the hospital nix the idea because of dietary concerns of the kids..:dunno:

Which is why I'll call ahead and ask. Might do a few that would work with any restrictions.

I miss trick or treating and trading candy!

Reeses and MM's for me!

There aren't many children in our area and one of the moms came by a few years ago to ask if she could bring the boys by if we would have something. So I said sure what do you want us to give them and she told me so I got that stuff, can't remember now and when they came by we made a big deal of it, they were like 6 and 4.
Haven't seen them since, think they do a program at their private school. I think I'll call her tomorrow and ask.

peanut butter is gross. not sure what we'll do this year. last year we had a big bowl of candy and gave it all away.

Well... this year the other half has gone all out on his favorite holiday and now our front yard is wired for sound, lights, and fog as an experimental laboratory/haunted graveyard. :hairraise: So... seeing as our yard is the best decorated in our neighborhood we can't have lame candy in our treat bags. :no: So what should I buy?? What do your kids like to get the most?? And what kinds will you eat when you go through their bags after they get home from trick or treating?? First the things I don't like: I refuse to buy candy corn... that stuff could gag a maggot. I'm also not too fond of bubble gum or licorice (Twizzlers). Sweet Tarts, Smarties, and those Pixy Stix are OK, but just a distant second to... CHOCOLATE! :D I've already bought a variety bag of Hershey's miniatures, a bag of Hershey's Cookies and Cream bars, and a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups.

Please help me out! What am I missing that no treat bag should be without??!! :confused:

M&Ms - everybody seems to like them. Get the small bags sold in bulk.

Don't mean to be picky, but Halloween ain't a holiday (though some treat it as such). OTOH the Day of the Dead (Nov 1) is a holiday - in Mexico. The two seem related: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_dead

Somebody mentioned transporting kids to different neighborhoods. When our kids were little we took them to a neighborhood a mile or so away where most of the residents tried to outdo one another with decorations and candy. The place attracted droves of kids. By comparison, our neighborhood is dead as a doornail. Hardly ever got any trick or treaters - and hardly anyone puts up decorations.

Dave

After having worked at a hospital for the past year...I wouldn't be surprised if they accepted. :wink2:

Fun size Snickers were my favorite.

The best house in my neighborhood for trick or treating was Mr. and Mrs. Graham. They never had children, but they ran the local 4H club and they gave out regular sized candy bars on Halloween, which was a real treat when I was a kid, but only after you told them a joke.....good times.

OK!! Sounds like I'm mostly good as long as I stick to a chocolate theme. :D I went out last night and got more supplies... there was a lot to choose from when you're ready to get serious. The candy wrappers I found were even Halloween-themed, so that was even more fun. Just have to keep Christopher out of the Reese's peanut butter pumpkins and me out of the Cookies and Cream bars and I should be good. At least everything I picked out were things we'd both eat after Halloween if we do have extras. I'm also working the night of Halloween, so if we do have extras after "trick or treat" hours, I can try to give them to the kids who show up at the pharmacy to get a prescription filled... it might make it a little more fun for them. (Usually the kids who show up there look like they haven't had too much Halloween fun on a night when they should be dressing up and out getting candy instead of antibiotics and cough medicine. :rolleyes2:) And maybe I'll even have to save some for the people I see who could use a little more chocolate in their life and less Vicodin and alcohol. LOL... I'll have to let you know how THAT goes over. :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Last edited:
We've been in our house 6 years on a pretty busy street. We did lots of prep work the first year expecting a ton of kids....and then about 4 showed up. As it turns out, we're just past an intersection that leads into another neighborhood. The kids will go to the house next to us (about 20ft away) but will not come to our house - they turn down the street and into the neighborhood. So we don't buy candy anymore. We watch scarry movies instead.

Reese's for me! Anything chocolate for my wife. And candy corn without honey.:)

And to hell with all that safe trick-or-treeting. We never had that and we're all still alive. More news hype than anything else.

Last edited:
Always get whatever I like, and eat small portions of leftovers for dessert. We get tons of kids, many driven in from the socioeconomically disadvantaged areas nearby. Might not do it this year, don't even know when beggar night is. We have other concerns.

Always get whatever I like, and eat small portions of leftovers for dessert. We get tons of kids, many driven in from the socioeconomically disadvantaged areas nearby. Might not do it this year, don't even know when beggar night is. We have other concerns.

I just think it's a lot of fun because I like to make all things crafty and I enjoy doing it. I'm about 1/2 way through packing my current stash of candy... and just like a good flight plan, I bought enough for about 60 treat bags (seems like we give away about that many most years here) and enough of a reserve for 45 minutes of trick or treaters after that. LOL. You just never know... trick or treating is a little like aviation. It's somewhat weather dependent! So you plan for it... and hope that by the end of the night, you aren't at the end of your reserve and looking around in the cabinets hoping to find something else to give out. :eek:

Back