HALF of O'Hare noise complaints come from 5 households

If you don't like the noise don't live next to an airport. The first step on the road to recovery is admitting you are a dumbass.

When I worked at an airport we had one lady who would call and complain everyday that the gliders were too loud...there were multiple rumors on why she didn't like them over her house, and one of them was she had a pot farm in the back yard. My theory was she liked to sunbathe in the nude.

Around Centennial (KAPA) south of Denver, there are 3-4 homeowner associations. They send out the boilerplate to the homeowners/residents every year or two, and ask the to mail the "complaints" into the FAA. Same boilerplate every year.

When I worked for a port district we had complaints from nearby residents about the beacon. We tried to adjust it so the pilots could see it in the sky but so it didn't shine into the homes nearby. Pretty much impossible. In the interest of good community relations, the port bought a room-darkening shade for the household that complained the most. But yes, I kept thinking, "Didn't you notice the airport over there when you bought the house?"

If you don't like the noise don't live next to an airport. The first step on the road to recovery is admitting you are a dumbass.

When I worked at an airport we had one lady who would call and complain everyday that the gliders were too loud...there were multiple rumors on why she didn't like them over her house, and one of them was she had a pot farm in the back yard. My theory was she liked to sunbathe in the nude.

A $40 cab ride is not next to the airport...

We tried to adjust it so the pilots could see it in the sky but so it didn't shine into the homes nearby. Pretty much impossible

Actually they're doing this on all the new cell towers around here to reduce complaints. You can't see the strobes unless you're above them. Not sure how they're doing it but it works well.

Actually they're doing this on all the new cell towers around here to reduce complaints. You can't see the strobes unless you're above them. Not sure how they're doing it but it works well.

:confused: Most cell towers are <200' around here and don't get strobes.

:confused: Most cell towers are <200' around here and don't get strobes.

That's because your entire state has about 5' variance in elevation.

Get into the ozark hills and they're a tad taller.

I remember when we had our first farm north of Branson, there was a cell tower less than two miles away on hwy 65. We had zero exception at the farm because of the terrain.

Makes it a bit tougher to obtain good coverage than in pancake FL.

Last edited:
That's because your entire state has about 5' variance in elevation.

Get into the ozark hills.......

Don't they put them on top of the hills? Seriously it was a hazard flying pipeline in, shall we say suboptimal weather, because new ones would go up weekly and had no lights.

Don't they put them on top of the hills? Seriously it was a hazard flying pipeline in, shall we say suboptimal weather, because new ones would go up weekly and had no lights.

Yeah, but they still can't see over the next hill unless they increase the height.

The complaints always rise when an airport adds a new runway,and makes changes to the traffic flow.

My first thought before reading the article was "what a dumbass" but not so much anymore.

If I had lived in my house for years and they changed the runway to now fly over my house, I would complain my butt off. I would try to sue the airport for loss of property value.

I think most complaints about airport noise are people just hating on aviation. But if they did build a new runway that directs traffic over prevously quiet neighborhoods, then this is a black mark on aviation. Does not matter commercial or GA, the public lumps us together.
:sad:

When I worked for a port district we had complaints from nearby residents about the beacon. We tried to adjust it so the pilots could see it in the sky but so it didn't shine into the homes nearby. Pretty much impossible. In the interest of good community relations, the port bought a room-darkening shade for the household that complained the most. But yes, I kept thinking, "Didn't you notice the airport over there when you bought the house?"
As a kid, I liked the beacon flashing on the window shades from the Grosse Ile NAS (now KONZ). White White G r e e n White White G r e e n ...

Where have some of you guys been lately? People are entitled to do whatever they want, regardless of who was there first or how much they might impact someone else's right to enjoy a similar freedom.

When I was growing up, I was taught to look both ways before crossing the street. Now, the responsibility to look falls entirely on the driver, even when some doofus steps out into the road from behind a box truck. When someone buys property next to an airport but doesn't like the planes or the noise, it's someone else's responsibility to make it all go way. These types of things accompany the entitlement mentality.

JKG

A $40 cab ride is not next to the airport...

Absolutely right. But, the arrivals into ORD goes directly over that hood. We got a new notam regarding departures from my airport which us 8 ne of ORD.

Absolutely right. But, the arrivals into ORD goes directly over that hood. We got a new notam regarding departures from my airport which us 8 ne of ORD.

Arrivals busting noise in neighborhoods is due to poor ATC work, they should leave them high enough long enough so they don't need to level off on their way to the runway from altitude. The's been an excellent program in these regards into SFO for the last few years that's also saving the airlines big money on fuel.

Where have some of you guys been lately? People are entitled to do whatever they want, regardless of who was there first or how much they might impact someone else's right to enjoy a similar freedom.

When I was growing up, I was taught to look both ways before crossing the street. Now, the responsibility to look falls entirely on the driver, even when some doofus steps out into the road from behind a box truck. When someone buys property next to an airport but doesn't like the planes or the noise, it's someone else's responsibility to make it all go way. These types of things accompany the entitlement mentality.

JKG

In this case, the people were there first, these are new traffic patterns that have not only impacted the people's quality of life, they have also been issued a severe financial blow in the devaluation of their property. O'Hare owes them IMO.

In this case, the people were there first, these are new traffic patterns that have not only impacted the people's quality of life, they have also been issued a severe financial blow in the devaluation of their property. O'Hare owes them IMO.

+1 :yeahthat:

"More than half of the 3,405 noise complaints filed in January by Chicago residents near O'Hare International Airport came from just five households.

And 1,363 airplane-noise gripes came from a single address"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-ohare-noise-commission-met-0308-20140308,0,7475638.story

:mad:

Wow. 1363/31 = 44 complaints a DAY from ONE person.

That beats the lone complainer in Madison - She had something like 2500 per 6 months... And there were only a handful of complaints from EVERYONE else.

I happened to be present in the chief pilots office when they were reviewing a voice mail left from a resident near APA.

It was pretty funny and we kept playing it over. In it some crazy guy is screaming into the phone that our planes are targeting his house and intentionally flying over it. He's using the strongest curse words you can imagine...like every 3rd or 5th word. The message went on for like 5 minutes with him amped up and screaming the whole time about how our pilot is out to get him.

I'm not sure if he understood we had many pilots or not, but it was pretty funny.

Arrivals busting noise in neighborhoods is due to poor ATC work, they should leave them high enough long enough so they don't need to level off on their way to the runway from altitude. The's been an excellent program in these regards into SFO for the last few years that's also saving the airlines big money on fuel.

So the airport with the arrival over the bay gets the noise sensitive approach. Great.

So the airport with the arrival over the bay gets the noise sensitive approach. Great.

That was about fuel savings for transpac flights, not noise. It is also one of the programs leading to pilotless airliners. ATC is uplinking FMS programming to them at high altitude to fly their arrival as a direct flight idle path to the threshold. Apparently it can save some pretty big fuel bucks.

That was about fuel savings for transpac flights, not noise. It is also one of the programs leading to pilotless airliners. ATC is uplinking FMS programming to them at high altitude to fly their arrival as a direct flight idle path to the threshold. Apparently it can save some pretty big fuel bucks.

Flight idle descents to the runway (1,000' final) don't require pilotless aircraft. I used to do it all the time. What it requires is ATC structuring arrivals in such a way so as to allow that. Typically they don't and you end up at 6,000 130nm from the field.

I'm glad they're looking at it. About time I say.

Flight idle descents to the runway (1,000' final) don't require pilotless aircraft. I used to do it all the time. What it requires is ATC structuring arrivals in such a way so as to allow that. Typically they don't and you end up at 6,000 130nm from the field.

I'm glad they're looking at it. About time I say.

Exactly, that's what this does, the traffic is computer is controlling traffic to allow that and uplinking it so the path gets precisely flow, they have changed the structuring to allow for the profile. It's not that a pilot couldn't do it see and avoid, it's about not having to pay pilot costs.

Maybe Daly can have it torn down in the middle of the night...

Exactly, that's what this does, the traffic is computer is controlling traffic to allow that and uplinking it so the path gets precisely flow, they have changed the structuring to allow for the profile. It's not that a pilot couldn't do it see and avoid, it's about not having to pay pilot costs.

The Potomac TRACON has been running profile descents in their arrivals, and restructured their departures to make it work. My buddies that work there said the same thing: it's great, until you have more than two airplanes. Then it's a free for all.

Profile descents work great at airports that don't see heavy traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my neighbor just sold his house to some new folks, for years it was nice around here But, now, the new people keep the flood lights on at night. What sort of damages do you think we should ask the court for?

my neighbor just sold his house to some new folks, for years it was nice around here But, now, the new people keep the flood lights on at night. What sort of damages do you think we should ask the court for?

Exactly. What about those pesky non-whites moving into the neighborhood. What should my complaint be formatted as in order to quantify my property "loss of value"? People suing for unrealized gains numbers... Absolutely rich. The entitlement society run amok.

I think O'Hare should buy the properties at former fair market value and operate them as rentals or resell them at current market value.

I think O'Hare should buy the properties at former fair market value and operate them as rentals or resell them at current market value.

I used to live under the red marker. Anyone complaining about aircraft give me a chuckle. Under an airport is nothing compared to living beside train tracks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 6.32.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 6.32.47 PM.png
    1,021 KB · Views: 103
I used to live under the red marker. Anyone complaining about aircraft give me a chuckle. Under an airport is nothing compared to living beside train tracks.

It's one thing to buy into the condition, however if the airport expands operations into new and distant existing neighborhoods, that's a different issue.

Are we talking about rattling the house loud or are we talking about you can hear it if the TV isn't on loud... or somewhere in between?

Cause honestly if it's you can hear it with the TV off loud.. come on you live in the city and it's not that bad anyway, quit bitching. Rattle the house loud, I can see it.

Are we talking about rattling the house loud or are we talking about you can hear it if the TV isn't on loud... or somewhere in between?

Cause honestly if it's you can hear it with the TV off loud.. come on you live in the city and it's not that bad anyway, quit bitching. Rattle the house loud, I can see it.

I work in a hangar not far from the blast pad. I seriously doubt there's a house near ORD where a change in a traffic pattern is going to rattle the house.

It's one thing to buy into the condition, however if the airport expands operations into new and distant existing neighborhoods, that's a different issue.

Do you think folks should just expect time to stand still because they bought a place near the airport?

"More than half of the 3,405 noise complaints filed in January by Chicago residents near O'Hare International Airport came from just five households.

And 1,363 airplane-noise gripes came from a single address"
That's like 50 a day, or maybe one call every 15 waking minutes.
:mad2:

When my wife was on the air doing the news at a major city 50KW clear channel AM station, they had the "weather lady" to deal with. Every time they'd give the time/temp, this lady would compare what Fran's station gave to what the other stations gave and what NWS was calling. "I just heard you say it was 65 degrees, but the other station said it was 64, and the weather service said it was 66. So which is it? I can't understand how it can be a different temperatures at the same time in the same city. Why can't you get the correct temperature?...etc." And you can't tell listeners to "get a life" -- that's bad PR, so they'd have to listen and explain why the temp at the airport and the temp down town aren't always the same. And she'd go away...until the next time/temp announcement.

I wonder if the weather lady moved to Chicago?

You poor bastard! Back when I worked for fedex I stayed at the Hamton Inn in Southaven once...ONLY once.

The wind was out of the south and starting about 2 or 3am there was a fedex jet departing every 45 seconds for (what seemed like) hours.

I guess a person can grow accustomed to a lot but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Back