HALF of O'Hare noise complaints come from 5 households

When I first got out of the service, I rented a mobile home, for $65 month that was near a train track AND the airport. Planes never bothered me, but the damn trains rattled everything in the house, night and day.

Are we talking about rattling the house loud or are we talking about you can hear it if the TV isn't on loud... or somewhere in between?

Cause honestly if it's you can hear it with the TV off loud.. come on you live in the city and it's not that bad anyway, quit bitching. Rattle the house loud, I can see it.

Keeping in mind the Rosemont Horizon was built of wood for sound dampening due to being under the approach path for the diagonal runways.

If you're outside in the open (say on a front porch), about the same as a truck accelerating along a road.

If you are inside, you may bump the TV up a notch.

I used to live under the red marker. Anyone complaining about aircraft give me a chuckle. Under an airport is nothing compared to living beside train tracks.

Oh man, you can collect from Fed Ex AND the USAF! Those C-5s have GOT to make a lot of noise.

(When I'm traveling to Starkville, I usually cut over from I-55 to 78 via Shelby Drive.)

A $40 cab ride is not next to the airport...

Absolutely right. But, the arrivals into ORD goes directly over that hood. We got a new notam regarding departures from my airport which us 8 ne of ORD.

Arrivals busting noise in neighborhoods is due to poor ATC work, they should leave them high enough long enough so they don't need to level off on their way to the runway from altitude. The's been an excellent program in these regards into SFO for the last few years that's also saving the airlines big money on fuel.

The lady in question lives under the approach for 27R. The GS intercept for the ILS is about 2 NM west of her neighborhood, so planes are in the process of descending from 4000 at BONZO to 2300 at SIBLY or about 3300 AGL to 1800 AGL. It can't be that bad. I live under the approach to 27L and about 1 1/2 SM further west then her neighborhood, and while we hear the jets passing over on their way down, it's not like they're 1000 AGL or anything. They don't drown out the TV or normal conversation on the street, for that matter. :dunno:

Oh man, you can collect from Fed Ex AND the USAF! Those C-5s have GOT to make a lot of noise.

(When I'm traveling to Starkville, I usually cut over from I-55 to 78 via Shelby Drive.)

I rented that house from a coworker, never noticed the noise. When I'd grill in the back yard I could wave at PAX landing.

Made that drive a few times, graduated from MSU in 2003 :D

Are we talking about rattling the house loud or are we talking about you can hear it if the TV isn't on loud... or somewhere in between?

Cause honestly if it's you can hear it with the TV off loud.. come on you live in the city and it's not that bad anyway, quit bitching. Rattle the house loud, I can see it.
No airliners have rattle-the-house noise profiles any more. I used to live in an apartment in Des Plaines under the flight path of Rwy 22R circa 1984. I loved it.

Last edited:
I used to live under the red marker. Anyone complaining about aircraft give me a chuckle. Under an airport is nothing compared to living beside train tracks.

attachment.php

Heh. My great aunts used to live right near Winchester and Prescott in Memphis. And without fail, they opened the windows at night, even in November when the temperature was in the 30s outside. Certainly made sleeping over at Thanksgiving interesting.

That was about fuel savings for transpac flights, not noise. It is also one of the programs leading to pilotless airliners. ATC is uplinking FMS programming to them at high altitude to fly their arrival as a direct flight idle path to the threshold. Apparently it can save some pretty big fuel bucks.

So what "programming" is ATC sending to the FMS? Are they changing the profile? Cost index?

What are they sending that I can't already program it to do?

Heh. My great aunts used to live right near Winchester and Prescott in Memphis. And without fail, they opened the windows at night, even in November when the temperature was in the 30s outside. Certainly made sleeping over at Thanksgiving interesting.

Even Elvis managed to get by living near the airport. Wonder how much the airport has devalued his house? :rofl:

So what "programming" is ATC sending to the FMS? Are they changing the profile? Cost index?

What are they sending that I can't already program it to do?

It's not that you can't, it's that you don't. Read up on it, there's plenty of literature available. Yes, they are setting up the entire profile from cruise altitude to the runway.

It's not that you can't, it's that you don't. Read up on it, there's plenty of literature available. Yes, they are setting up the entire profile from cruise altitude to the runway.

This?

It's not that you can't, it's that you don't.

Really? Care to explain?

BTW, from the Airbus FCOM:

OPTIMUM DESCENT PATH
The vertical flight path is computed to minimize fuel consumption, while satisfying the various
altitude constraints and the descent speed profile, in order to reach VAPP at 1 000 ft.
The computer calculates the descent profile before the descent phase is initiated, taking into account:
‐ All lateral and vertical flight plan data
‐ The descent and approach winds, as inserted into the DESCENT WIND page and PERF APPR page, and the required maximum cabin rate of descent.

Last edited:
I just gotta know....

Was it 1060 West Addison? :)

So few things are flying out onto Waveland or Sheffield these days that those things flying overhead shocked and frightened the Cubs front office. :)

I say this as a life-long Cubs fan. You Southsiders keep your yap shut!

Back