Had some mild chest pain went to the ER what will the FAA want?

• Thread starter ER Visit for Chest Pain
  • Start date
E

ER Visit for Chest Pain

After eating some spicy food had some chest pain usual spot for acid. I figured it was acid reflux took Pepcid (Famotidine) along with tums. No changes in the pain took some Alka-Seltzer, and Pepto-Bismol still no change. After a few hours I get concerned maybe my heart with family history of heart disease. I go to the ER give me a EKG and xray after 10 hours and learning others in the waiting room been there 24 hours hadn't seen a doctor I figure this is not an emergency for me I head home. Ill see my regular doctor to discuss this, but was wondering is the FAA going to require a treadmill test. I did see my xray, and EKG results online both say normal can my regular doctor just diagnose with acid reflux. The pain was gone by the time I got home. I also was only 2 days out from getting the Moderna Covid booster not sure if that had anything to do with it. I felt bad next day after the booster but normal next day. I had a treadmill stress test in 2018 it was normal no problems found.

I was once hospitalized for Gerd. Doc just wanted to know what happened. It was chest pain with a full EKG work up along with CAT scans.

So long as your heart is normal....and the pain issue is resolved I bet the AME is fine.

I’m going to guess the FAA is going to want something. No, if I were your “regular” doctor, I wouldn’t assume it was indigestion without further testing. Did the ER test troponin? You didn’t mention it so I guess not. Maybe angina isn’t always detected with an EKG.

Two days after the jab, eh? Mild pericarditis might not even show up on the EKG. Are you a youngish male?

If you have diagnosed erosive esophagitis already proven by endoscopy or something that tilts the odds to gastro-esophageal cause but if I were your doctor or the FAA I would want to rule out cardiac problems even so. You can always have both. Pain severe enough to take you to the ER and lasting 10 hours should buy you a full cardiac work up. Heck they’re doing one on me for way less excuse than that.

......ugh. We'd have to see what the nurse wrote. There is one and only one situation in which a stress run isn’t going to be required. Sigh.

Likely, another stress run :(. 2018 is nearly 4 years ago......

After eating some spicy food had some chest pain usual spot for acid. I figured it was acid reflux took Pepcid (Famotidine) along with tums. No changes in the pain took some Alka-Seltzer, and Pepto-Bismol still no change. After a few hours I get concerned maybe my heart with family history of heart disease. I go to the ER give me a EKG and xray after 10 hours and learning others in the waiting room been there 24 hours hadn't seen a doctor I figure this is not an emergency for me I head home. Ill see my regular doctor to discuss this, but was wondering is the FAA going to require a treadmill test. I did see my xray, and EKG results online both say normal can my regular doctor just diagnose with acid reflux. The pain was gone by the time I got home. I also was only 2 days out from getting the Moderna Covid booster not sure if that had anything to do with it. I felt bad next day after the booster but normal next day. I had a treadmill stress test in 2018 it was normal no problems found.
Very confusing. Did you leave AMA? Did they finish their tests? Did you get a diagnosis?

......ugh. We'd have to see what the nurse wrote. There is one and only one situation in which a stress run isn’t going to be required. Sigh.

Likely, another stress run :(. 2018 is nearly 4 years ago......

The only note from the RN is "Pt came to the door and stated he saw his results online and that he is going to follow up with his PCP"

That's fine I don't mind the treadmill test anyway rather be safe then sorry. Thanks

Same here, over 10 yrsago….excruciating chest pains. Ultrasound showed gall stones. Taken out 3 wks later, no problems since then.

Was reading on the FAA website. Does that mean if you ever had chest pain in your entire life even if it was diagnosed as non Cardiac it has to be deferred to the FAA?

The AME must defer medical certification if the applicant has:

• Any other disqualifying medical conditions or therapy not previously reported;
  • Any other reason for not renewing an AASI;
  • Bleeding that required medical intervention or other;
  • Chest pain - Complains of chest pain at any time (exclude chest pain with a firm diagnosis of non-cardiac causes of chest pain);
  • New Event - Has another event, develops a new condition or identification of an additional cardiac condition not previously reported (such as myocardial infarction, or restenosis requiring CABG, atherectomy, brachytherapy, PTCA, stent or other procedure);
  • Nitrate - Is placed on a long acting nitrate for any reason;
  • Risk factors - Inadequately controlled; or
  • Unacceptable exercise stress test (GXT) results include:

Was reading on the FAA website. Does that mean if you ever had chest pain in your entire life even if it was diagnosed as non Cardiac it has to be deferred to the FAA?

• Any other disqualifying medical conditions or therapy not previously reported;
  • Any other reason for not renewing an AASI;
  • Bleeding that required medical intervention or other;
  • Chest pain - Complains of chest pain at any time (exclude chest pain with a firm diagnosis of non-cardiac causes of chest pain);
  • New Event - Has another event, develops a new condition or identification of an additional cardiac condition not previously reported (such as myocardial infarction, or restenosis requiring CABG, atherectomy, brachytherapy, PTCA, stent or other procedure);
  • Nitrate - Is placed on a long acting nitrate for any reason;
  • Risk factors - Inadequately controlled; or
  • Unacceptable exercise stress test (GXT) results include:
It says exclude

what it does say is if you get heartburn from Xmas dinner and don’t go to the doctor to get a non-cardiac diagnosis you should be deferred.

It says exclude

what it does say is if you get heartburn from Xmas dinner and don’t go to the doctor to get a non-cardiac diagnosis you should be deferred.

In other words, and not to put too fine a point on it, if you go to the ER complaining of chest pain, don't leave without the (hopefully non-cardiac) diagnosis.

Does that mean if you ever had chest pain in your entire life even if it was diagnosed as non Cardiac it has to be deferred to the FAA?

No.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back